Newsgroups: ca.politics,or.politics,seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Major San Fran retailer condemns city, state leaders in full-page ad:
'Abject disregard for civilized conduct'
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 09:10:38 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 16:10 UTC

from
https://www.foxnews.com/media/major-san-fran-retailer-condemns-city-state-leaders-full-page-ad-abject-disregard-civilized-conduct

Major San Fran retailer condemns city, state leaders in full-page ad:
'Abject disregard for civilized conduct'
Open letter released to Governor Newsom, Mayor Breed and the San
Francisco Board of Supervisors
By Lindsay Kornick | Fox News

The fall of San Francisco
The owner of a historic San Francisco luxury department store called out
city and state leadership for the area's "unlivable" conditions Sunday.

In a full-page ad published in the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday,
Gump’s CEO John Chachas penned an open letter calling for their
"destructive" and "failed public policies" to be abandoned.

"An Open Letter to Governor Newsom, Mayor Breed and the San Francisco
Board of Supervisors: Gump's has been a San Francisco icon for more than
165 years. Today, as we prepare for our 166th holiday season at 250 Post
Street, we fear this may be our last because of the profound erosion of
this city's current conditions," Chachas wrote.

People inhabit encampments on the streets of San Franciscos Tenderloin
District.
A woman appears to be defecating in a bus shelter on the streets of San
Francisco, California on Friday, April 14, 2023. (Flight Risk for Fox
News Digital)

He continued, "San Francisco now suffers from a ‘tyranny of the
minority’ —behavior and actions of the few that jeopardize the
livelihood of the many. The ramifications of COVID policies advising
people to abandon their offices are only beginning to be understood.
Equally devastating have been a litany of destructive San Francisco
strategies, including allowing the homeless to occupy our sidewalks, to
openly distribute and use illegal drugs, to harass the public and to
defile the city's streets."

LA BUSINESS OWNER WARNS CITY’S DRUG CRISIS IS BEING ‘NORMALIZED’ INSTEAD
OF DETERRED: ‘UNSUSTAINABLE’

"Such abject disregard for civilized conduct makes San Francisco
unlivable for its residents, unsafe for our employees, and unwelcoming
to visitors from around the world."

The San Francisco Chronicle reported earlier this year that the city
alone had more than 7,754 homeless people, with approximately 4,400 of
them sleeping on the streets, in a tent or in a vehicle in 2022.

Homeless tents are seen near the Tenderloin District
A homeless man is seen on a sidewalk in Tenderloin district of San
Francisco on Dec. 28, 2022. (Photo by Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via
Getty Images)

"San Franciscans deserve better than the current condition of our city.
Gump's implores the Governor, the Mayor, and the City Supervisors to
take immediate actions, including cleaning the city streets, removing
homeless encampments, enforcement of city and state ordinances, and
returning San Francisco to its rightful place as one of America's
shining beacons of urban society," Chachas wrote.

SAN FRANCISCO BUSINESS OWNER SAYS MEDIA HAVE ‘NO IDEA’ HOW BAD HOMELESS
CRISIS IS: ‘APOCALYPTIC’

He closed, "As San Franciscans, we will continue to support the
compassionate efforts of helping those in need. But we believe failed
public policies must be abandoned and a renewed focus must be brought to
restore the city we all love."

Chachas previously criticized city leadership for the rise in "rampant
crime" in 2021.

"My concern as a business person is you don't have a functioning
environment anymore when you have people outside of the city who are
afraid to come to the city because of rampant crime… and grit and
filth," Chachas explained on "Fox & Friends."

People inhabit encampments on the streets of San Franciscos Tenderloin
District.
Gump's John Chachas criticized San Francisco leadership for allowing
homeless people to occupy sidewalks and openly use drugs. (Flight Risk
for Fox News Digital)

He added, "We are open and we're ready for people to come. San Francisco
is our home. Gump's has been there a hundred and sixty-five years, but
frankly, the leadership of the city has lost its way."

For more Culture, Media, Education, Opinion, and channel coverage, visit
foxnews.com/media

Lindsay Kornick is an associate editor for Fox News Digital. Story tips
can be sent to lindsay.kornick@fox.com and on Twitter: @lmkornick.

Conversation5.2K Comments
1.2K Viewing
Discussions are moderated. For more details, click here.

Best

Custard'sLastStand
14 hours ago

When I was a kid back in the 40's my grandparents often took me on day
trips to San Francisco.

As I look back on those days I am so grateful because those trips would
never happen today.

navybrat830
14 hours ago

My wife and I stopped going to the City when, many years ago, as
tourists, we were made to pay an additional tax in the restaurants in
order to pay for their homeless problem. This was in the Fisherman's
Wharf area, also downtown, and Chinatown in the '80's.

Residents didn't pay this tax, so we le...

LionelFinn
15 hours ago

Failing to enforce criminal laws is a violation of the constitution and
a dereliction of duty, and must, at a minimum, result in the removal of
those who refuse to comply with the law.

mattrey
14 hours ago

The degradation of this once beautiful city is a direct result of the
political policies supported by the governor, the mayor, and elected
officials across the city and the state.

The majority of voters elected them, and continue to keep them in office.

Enjoy the life you have voted for, and please don't relocate to my state
that is governed responsibly and where law and order exists.

🇺🇸Anuhere
15 hours ago

Gump's was always my "go to" store when I wanted to find something
unique and special for gifts. That was 30 years ago when I lived in San
Francisco. I would not go back to even visit SF now... even if you paid me.