From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Re: Where is the blind spot & how do you check it when crossing a
bike lane?
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:03:09 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 22:03 UTC

On 8/3/23 8:57 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:14:11 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>>Parking lots are the worst -- the bastards can come at you from all
>>>sides and just because the path was clear two seconds ago doesn't mean
>>>that it's clear NOW.
>>
>> I try to make it a point to back into parking spots. I feel it's much
>> safer getting out.
>
> I either back in or if in a parking lot find an empty slot where I can
> pull through to the other side. The problem is when you drive a Toyota
> Yaris you need xray vision to see through the two massive pickups flanking
> you. I very gingerly ease the nose out. That's better than having to pull
> most of the car out to see anything.

Nobody knows what a Yaris is, but a friend and I rented one (all they
had) for our big trip through Utah. Skiing too. It was stuffed to the
gills, but was happy at 80 or 85 and behaved quite nicely (only one
pan-scrape, which was my fault) on the road through Monument Valley.
Did fine coming back through the blizzard near Ely NV, a thrilling
first-time experience. Great mileage too.

> I won't go into finding the car in a sea of pickups and SUVs. Putting a
> flag on the stubby little antenna wouldn't buy me anything.

No antenna on the white 2013 Corolla. If I forget where I parked it's a
real bitch finding it since the key-beeper works for 50 feet or less.
I was thinking of putting orange racing stripes on it until I found out
how much even the cheesy plastic ones cost.

--
Cheers, Bev