Newsgroups: or.politics,ca.politics,or.politics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Democrat senator who keyed car with 'Biden sucks' sticker learns
punishment in court
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 13:47:09 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:47 UTC

from
https://www.foxnews.com/media/democrat-senator-keyed-car-biden-sucks-sticker-learns-punishment-court

Democrat senator who keyed car with 'Biden sucks' sticker learns
punishment in court
Top Rhode Island Democrat defends state senator who keyed a
constituent's car
Kassy Dillon By Kassy Dillon | Fox News

Blue state senator arrested after being accused of keying car
Rhode Island State Sen. Joshua Miller was arrested after a man pressed
charges against the legislator for allegedly keying his car that had a
'Biden sucks' bumper sticker.

A Rhode Island state senator who was caught keying a man’s car last
month was sentenced to pay restitution after admitting to the charges of
vandalism and obstruction of a police officer.

"I am truly sorry for my actions in this matter, and I am disappointed
in my behavior and lack of judgment," Sen. Joshua Miller, a Democrat,
told reporters outside 3rd District Court in Warwick on Tuesday,
according to The Boston Globe.

"In a blink of an eye, I exhibited a lack of self-control that has
impacted my reputation," he added. "For that, I only have myself to
blame as I am solely responsible for what led to today’s court proceedings."

BLUE STATE SENATOR ARRESTED AFTER BEING ACCUSED OF KEYING CAR:
Blue state senator arrested after being accused of keying carVideo
WATCH MORE FOX NEWS DIGITAL ORIGINALS HERE

Miller, 69, was arrested in June after he vandalized a car with a "Biden
Sucks" bumper sticker and later lied to police. He initially denied
keying the car and later claimed the victim was "daring" him to once
police confronted him with video evidence.

During the arraignment, Miller pled no contest to the two charges and
was ordered to pay $2,850 in restitution to the vehicle owner and to
donate $250 to the Rhode Island Community Food Bank. If Miller does not
commit any more crimes for the next year, the case will be expunged from
his record, the Globe reported.

Miller said he had no plan to resign from his position at the state house.

The Rhode Island Republican Party chair, who called for Miller to
resign, said the plea deal is "disappointing although not surprising."

RI GOP chair calls for senator accused of keying car to resign. WATCH:Video
"It’s another case of politics as usual in the Ocean State," Joe Powers
told Fox News. "In pure Rhode Island political fashion, another Democrat
gets off with a slap on the wrist and retains his chairmanship of the
powerful Health and Human Services Committee and committee assignments
with no recourse."

Senate President Dominick Ruggerio, a top Rhode Island Democrat,
defended Miller in a statement to Fox News. He called Miller's actions
"deeply regrettable" but complimented him as "a dedicated and passionate
public servant."

"I don’t believe that any one of us would want to be judged solely upon
our worst moments," Ruggerio said. "Because of his long record of
service, because he has taken responsibility for his actions and because
the events of that day had nothing to do with his responsibilities in
the Senate or his position as a state senator, we are putting this
incident behind us and moving forward."

RHODE ISLAND MAN, 25, FALLS TO DEATH AT COLORADO NATIONAL PARK WATERFALL
OVER HOLIDAY WEEKEND

"Like all of us who hold elected office, Sen. Miller will ultimately
answer to his constituents," Ruggerio added.

A car allegedly keyed by RI State Senator Joshua Miller
The vehicle that was vandalized by Rhode Island State Sen. Joshua
Miller. (Cranston Police Department)

The City of Cranston Solicitor, Christopher Millea, said he didn't
believe there was favoritism in the case.

RHODE ISLAND DISTRICT WEIGHS POLICY SOME SAY WOULD 'OUT' TRANS KIDS TO
PARENTS: THEY 'NEED TO BE INVOLVED'

"Mr. Miller was treated no different than anybody else by the city of
Cranston," he said. "There’s zero politics involved in this."

Millea said he had no response to a question from a reporter about why
Miller keyed the car, according to the Globe.

Surveillance footage caught Miller in the act at the Garden City Center
in Cranston.

RI State Senator Joshua Miller
Mugshot of Rhode Island State Sen. Joshua Miller, who was arrested for
keying someone's car. (Cranston Police Department)

When police confronted him at his home after reviewing the surveillance
footage, they asked him why he keyed the car.

"Because he was daring me to, basically," Miller responded.

TOP RHODE ISLAND DEMS PUSH 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' BAN

Miller, who has been in office since 2006, also told police he thought
the man was one of the "gun nuts" he claims is stalking him for
sponsoring gun control legislation.

The victim told police he didn't recognize Miller.

"Biden sucks" bumper sticker on a Rhode Island car
The unidentified family that was the victim to Rhode Island State Sen.
Joshua Miller has a "Biden sucks" bumper sticker. (Cranston Police
Department)

In body-cam footage, Miller is seen telling the officers who stopped him
to call police Col. Michael Winquist, who he said was aware of threats
from "gun nuts."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

"Mr. Miller never reported any threats to Colonel Winquist or any member
of the Cranston Police Department," the agency wrote in a statement.

"Nobody is above the law, including those who make and enforce the
laws," Winquist added in the release. "The officers who handled this
investigation did so with fairness, integrity, and without preferential
treatment."

Miller and the Cranston Police Department did not respond to requests
for comment.

Kassy Dillon is a reporter for Digital Originals. You can reach her at
kassy.dillon@fox.com and follow her on Twitter at @kassydillon.

Conversation9.4K Comments
91 Viewing
Discussions are moderated. For more details, click here.
View 1 new comment
Sort by

Best

bunz083
2 days ago

I dont understand how he still has a job? I mean he is a Senator who
targeted someone solely based on that individual’s political view. His
conduct is troubling for such a high ranking member of government. I
would understand more if it was provoked and he lost his control for a
moment. He seemed t...

See more

Share

dakotakid160
2 days ago

Perfect example of the difference in class and values between Dems and
Conservatives.. a Conservative would never hurt or destroy another
person's body or property but a Conservative has to live in fear for
just having a difference of opinion or ideas!

Share

8 replies

Cyclone881
2 days ago

Because of his long record of service, because he has taken
responsibility for his actions"

NO he didn't! He tried to get away with it, and then lied to police.
He didn't take responsibility for jack until they had him dead to rights!

Share

3 replies

Show 18 more replies

denverdog
2 days ago

The punishment is too light. The car will never be the same once one
part is repainted. The fine should have repairs+lost value of
car+community service for a month. A lousy low- level tax-deductible
donation is no penalty at all.

Share

meinkomfy