Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.economics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Expert warns landlords over progressive policies allowing squatters
wreak havoc: 'Law is not on your side'
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 11:13:38 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 18:13 UTC

from
https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-estate/expert-warns-landlords-progressive-policys-squatters-wreak-havoc-law-side

Expert warns landlords over progressive policies allowing squatters
wreak havoc: 'Law is not on your side'
Data shows 5.1 million US households are behind on rent as of May 2023

By Kristen Altus FOXBusiness
close

Squatters leave landlords with damaged properties, hefty legal fines
Step through the doors of a house that’s just been vacated of squatters,
and you might be shocked at the property’s condition.

Anchor Realty co-owner Walter Lapidus’ recently regained a
Philadelphia-area home with multicolored graffiti walls, makeshift beds
and trash covering the floors.

"This is how we found the place once the tenants were locked out by the
sheriff," Lapidus told FOX Business’ Jeff Flock on "Varney & Co." Thursday.

After Lapidus’ tenant signed a year-and-a-half lease but only paid two
months' rent, the property manager claimed he’s been left with an
expensive mess to clean up – as well as significant legal fees – after
the squatters’ stay.

SQUATTER TEACHER, FAMILY INVADE LUXURY HOME AS HOMEOWNER FACES
MONTHS-LONG EVICTION BATTLE: REALTOR

"What I think people fail to see is that, in the attempt to help people
who are facing homelessness – which is an obviously very important
mission – these costs, the costs of cleaning this up, are passed on to
the folks who pay the rent on time, and that's how we lose the
affordability in housing," Lapidus said.

◀︎▶︎
Image 1 of 3
A Jacksonville home was destroyed after squatters moved in. | Fox News

According to Madison Ventures+ managing director Mitch Roschelle, real
estate markets in cities like New York City, Philadelphia and Los
Angeles could face an exacerbated squatter problem.

In New York, squatters are granted rights after just 30 days, which
makes it harder to evict. It’s a similar story in Los Angeles where
landlords are often forced to pay just to get rid of tenants who fail to
pay. And in Philadelphia, even after a court orders a person out of a
home, sheriffs might show up to evict, but end up leaving rather than
cause a confrontation.

"The laws are written to protect the tenant, not the landlord,"
Roschelle told Fox News Digital Thursday in reaction to Flock’s report.
"The local laws that protect tenants at the expense of landlords have
fueled this phenomenon because we've basically said forever it's the
landlord's fault, not the tenant's fault if the tenant can't pay rent."

He further warned landlords: "The law is not on your side."

Shanequa Garrett, an authorized property seller, says she went to court
to remove trespassers from a residence on 'The Bottom Line.'video
Woman details how squatters took over home
Shanequa Garrett, an authorized property seller, says she went to court
to remove trespassers from a residence on 'The Bottom Line.'

Rent debt in America hit a reported $10.8 billion as of May 2023, with
5.1 million U.S. households behind on their rent bills, recent data from
the National Equity Atlas shows.

Roschelle pointed out that while tenants were told they didn’t have to
pay rent during the COVID pandemic’s height, no one was giving landlords
a break on their mortgage payments.

"I suspect the more sort of COVID-era subsidies like student loan
forgiveness, like mortgage forgiveness, all these things start going
away, you're going to see more and more tenants just not paying their
rent," the market expert said.

"The laws are written to protect the tenant, not the landlord… local
laws that protect tenants at the expense of landlords have fueled this
phenomenon."

- Mitch Roschelle, Madison Ventures+ managing director
Lapidus noted that his local sheriff’s department had visited the
property a few times with the aim to evict the squatters, but police
subsequently decided not to escalate the situation.

"Given the delay in getting possession of places when we have a
non-paying tenant, this, unfortunately, is what can happen," the realtor
said. "And this is going to cost the owner tens of thousands of dollars
to rectify."

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

Madison Ventures+ managing director Mitch Roschelle says increases in
borrowing costs are 'eating up' homebuyers' savings.video
US home sales' downtrend likely 'not going to change': Mitch Roschelle
Madison Ventures+ managing director Mitch Roschelle says increases in
borrowing costs are 'eating up' homebuyers' savings.

For smaller mom-and-pop landlords that may not have the infrastructure
to ensure payment is made, Roschelle advised those property managers
adamantly "stay on top" of those who are late.

"My advice to anybody who's a non-professional landlord, don't let a
delinquency slip a day," he said. "You can't change the lease that the
tenant signed, but you should avail yourself of any remedy that you have
in that lease and don't cut them an inch of slack."

READ MORE FROM FOX BUSINESS

Conversation95 Comments
25 Viewing

Sign up

No file chosen
Sort by

Best

earthalliance
7 hours ago

Squatting is one thing (which I oppose under any circumstances) but what
excuse is there for them destroying the structure of these homes and
leaving them uninhabitable and leaves the landlord or owner with huge
repair and legal fees.

This damage should be considered vandalism and a form of theft wh...

See more

Share

dustinhayden736
5 hours ago

you then have to pay the cost of taking them to court to get a
garnishment judgement. Assuming they even have jobs in the first place.

Share

1 reply

Show 1 more reply

rodehawg97
6 hours ago

During the Dem's sub-prime mortgage fiasco my wife and I considered
picking up a couple of distress sale houses to rent out as revenue
properties. After reading about and seeing firsthand the nightmare many
rental property owners went through to get rid of non-paying renters and
the vandalism they...

See more

Share

Martus_Abdias_
6 hours ago

Indeed.

I dismissed buying rental property for the exact same reason.

Share

unclepecosghost
5 hours ago

Had a couple of properties about 20 years ago but after a year or so
decided it was more profitable and less stressful to sell them. No more
late rent, no more lame excuses about why the rent was late, no whining
about every little "imperfection".

Share

Show 1 more reply

4corners44
6 hours ago

Rather than letting a property sit vacant, do your research and get a
professional house sitter. Background check and check with past users
of this persons service. Even paying someone to occupy a vacant
property is going to be less costly than getting a property back from a
squatter and having t...

See more

Share

reticuli
6 hours ago

If you do pay your rent, though, expect it to be jacked up. You can't
have millions of people flooding across the border and expect the
current demand on housing and thus market cost to remain constant.

Still, I'm reminded of my friend Paul with his house in Dayton where
squatters moved in while he ...

See more

Share

1 reply

demspreferillegals.
7 hours ago

Progressive policies.= Destruction of America.

Share

1 reply

Valvespring
6 hours ago

This is why I don’t provide any rentals. It’s too much hassle/risk.
From what I hear, rentals are becoming rarer.

Share

allornothing249
6 hours ago

Landlording is highly profitable if done correctly. BTW, you heard
wrong. There are more rental properties in America now than ever before.

Share

1 reply

AfterFurtherReview
5 hours ago

We had a tenant through the COVID years that decided they just didn't
have to pay rent and finally got them out on February of last year. 17
months later the house has been repaired and will be rented again on
July 1. 99% of the problem is "the rules". I can deal with bad tenants,
bad vendors, bad ...

See more

Share

perogi007
6 hours ago

The most important thing right now is to get the squatter out of the
White House.

Share

thoughtsbyme571
6 hours ago

Well said.

Share

Rick@46231
6 hours ago

"What I think people fail to see is that, in the attempt to help people
who are facing homelessness – which is an obviously very important
mission – these costs, the costs of cleaning this up, are passed on to
the folks who pay the rent on time, and that's how we lose the
affordability in housing,"...

See more

Share

Click here to read the complete article