Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Portland pastry chef mauled by off-leash dog, dog's handler promptly
ODs on fentanyl
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:27:47 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:27 UTC

But Baxter is sure that anarchy is the way to the best future.
Yeah, isn't this the most Portland thing you've heard this week?

from
https://katu.com/news/local/portland-pastry-chef-cheryl-wakerhauser-pix-patisserie-mauled-by-dog

Portland pastry chef mauled by off-leash dog, dog's handler promptly ODs
on fentanyl

by KATU StaffWed, April 19th 2023, 4:44 PM PDT

Cheryl Wakerhauser explains how she was attacked and mauled by a dog
while on a run Monday. She suffered injuries to her arm and leg. (KATU)

PORTLAND, Ore. — A pastry chef is recovering after being attacked by a
dog on Monday.

Cheryl Wakerhauser owns Pix Patisserie. She says she was out on a run
along Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard when she was attacked and mauled by
a dog.

She reports the dog was off leash in a parking lot of a vacant building
that’s surrounded by a chain-link fence.

The dog grabbed her leg and threw her to the ground, and attacked her
legs and arm.

Wakerhauser says she has more than 35 puncture wounds.

“The arm, the leg, the other leg, I was just trying to put my foot in
front of him and wave at cars that were driving by,” she said. “And I
start looking around, and I started saying, like, I’m on the ground. I
started screaming for help like I was having a nightmare, like, ‘Help
me, somebody help me,’ and in a nightmare you’re screaming but nobody
can hear you. I felt like that.”

Wakerhauser finally caught the eye of one driver who turned around and
honked her horn to try to scare the dog off.

At the same time, she says a man with a leash walked up, said it wasn’t
his dog, and then led the dog away.

Another witness followed the man and dog and led police to them.

Wakerhauser says the dog was taken away by animal control. The dog is a
pitbull named "Bubbie," as confirmed by police.

Wakerhouser states public safety in Portland needs to be a top priority
and that she’s tired of getting lip service from city government instead
of real change.

She also says the city has a job to do to fix problems instead of
putting a band-aid on it.

On Thursday Portland Police told KATU that the dog's handler/suspect had
been arrested and booked into the MCDC the day of the attack.

Police say the suspect, identified as houseless individual Theron D.
Bates, had handed the dog over to police and then tried to run away.

However, Bates then ingested fentanyl shortly afterward and overdosed.

Police say they administered naloxone and took him to be treated before
booking him into jail on a warrant. The PPB says it is currently
investigating potential criminal or civil culpability.

Police confirmed that Bates is not the owner of the dog, but a friend of
owner Jessie Miller, who reports himself as homeless. Bates was
"babysitting" the dog for Miller.

KATU confirmed that the dog "Bubbie" was taken in by Multnomah County
Animal Services for a mandatory 10-day quarantine and bite investigation.

However, police say that owner Jessie Miller and his mother Marie Miller
appeared and convinced Animal Services to let the dog quarantine at
Marie's home.

On Tuesday, April 17 the dog was transferred to Marie Miller. Jessie
Miller then returned to her home and took the dog.

Comment bubble
JOIN THE CONVERSATION (

The whereabouts of Miller and the dog are currently unknown. Police are
currently trying to locate him, but he does not have a fixed address.

Conversation6 Comments
35 Viewing
Your voice matters. Discussions are moderated for civility. See our
guidelines.

View 1 new comment
Sort by
Best

DukeKeagen
17 hours ago
It's important to know and remember the steps you need to take when a
dog decides to chase you.

STOP! For whatever reason you have caught the prey/chase mode of the
dog. Stop running. Fold your arms across your chest. Tell the dog;
NO! STAY! SIT! loudly, with a firm voice. Turn so you are al...

2 replies

PNW921
3 hours ago

"Portland pastry chef mauled by off-leash dog, dog's handler promptly
ODs on fentanyl"

That is the most Portland thing I have heard this week.

Re: Portland pastry chef mauled by off-leash dog, dog's handler promptly ODs on fentanyl

<9Fg0M.494585$Ldj8.101972@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3363&group=alt.law-enforcement#3363

From: Sopr...@new_jersey.invalid (Anthony Soprano)
Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Re: Portland pastry chef mauled by off-leash dog, dog's handler promptly ODs on fentanyl
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:47:15 -0700
 by: Anthony Soprano - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:47 UTC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:27:47 -0700, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It's important to know and remember the steps you need to take when a
>dog decides to chase you.
>
>STOP! For whatever reason you have caught the prey/chase mode of the
>dog. Stop running. Fold your arms across your chest. Tell the dog;
>NO! STAY! SIT! loudly, with a firm voice. Turn so you are al...
>
>2 replies

Yeah! Just lay down letting the pit bull rip out your carotid artery
in your throat. It's not the dogs fault he is created to kill animals
and people.