From: jua...@mexico.mx (Juan)
Subject: Re: Pot smoker dies after jumping from stolen CHP cruiser during
pursuit
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:33:20 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.california, alt.law-enforcement, alt.politics.marijuana,
sac.politics, talk.politics.guns
 by: Juan - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:33 UTC

On 16 Feb 2022, PaxPerPoten <PaxPerPoten@magik.beanz.net> posted some
news:suk3a5$1ckan$32@news.freedyn.de:

> The country is getting a good laugh about that.

A man accused of stealing a California Highway Patrol cruiser died Tuesday
afternoon after throwing himself from the vehicle as he was being chased
by authorities in the Antelope Valley, authorities said.

The CHP cruiser, a Dodge Charger, was stolen as officers were responding
to a crash on the northbound 5 Freeway at Hasley Canyon.

A CHP officer responded to that crash scene and, while checking on the
parties involved, the driver of one of the involved vehicles got out of
his vehicle, hopped into the parked CHP cruiser and drove off, officials
said.

Officers pursued the vehicle as it reached speeds of 100 mph on Highway
138, CHP officials told KTLA.

Once at 87th Street West and West Avenue D, the suspect jumped out of the
speeding vehicle, hitting the roadway as the cruiser continued to travel
off the road before crashing into a light pole.

He appeared to hit the back of his head on the road and was clearly
unconscious. It�s estimated the vehicle was traveling at speeds nearing 50
mph when he jumped out.

Officers dragged the man off of the roadway out of fear that the damaged
power pole might fall near him. They pulled him to the side of the road
and provided medical aid until he was eventually taken to a hospital
around 12:55 p.m.

During a news conference Tuesday evening, CHP announced that he had died.

�CHP personnel on scene performed life-saving measures and the driver was
transported to Antelope Valley Hospital, where he was pronounced
deceased,� said CHP Officer Alec Pereyda.

The name of the driver was not immediately released pending notification
of next of kin.

CHP is still investigating how the cruiser was stolen. Pereyda said it was
standard procedure for a vehicle to be left running when officers exit
their vehicles, but added that the doors are required to be locked.

Anyone with information about the pursuit or the man involved is asked to
contact the CHP Newhall branch at 661-600-1600.

<https://ktla.com/news/local-news/man-who-stole-chp-cruiser-injured-after-
throwing-himself-out-of-vehicle-in-antelope-valley/>

Re: Pot smoker dies after jumping from stolen CHP cruiser during pursuit

<HuYUL.177786$eRZ7.11634@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3331&group=alt.law-enforcement#3331

pursuit
Newsgroups: alt.california,alt.law-enforcement,alt.politics.marijuana,sac.politics,talk.politics.guns
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:07:18 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 15:07 UTC

On 3/29/23 02:33, Juan wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2022, PaxPerPoten <PaxPerPoten@magik.beanz.net> posted some
>
>> The country is getting a good laugh about that.

I have some doubts about that.

> A CHP officer responded to that crash scene and, while checking on the
> parties involved, the driver of one of the involved vehicles got out of
> his vehicle, hopped into the parked CHP cruiser and drove off, officials
> said.
> -----
> During a news conference Tuesday evening, CHP announced that he had died.

And that is another reason why the recruit law enforcement officer is
instructed to turn off his car's engine, take the keys with him,
and lock the cars door after parking at the scene.