From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Canning lids
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:13:41 -0500
 by: Wilson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:13 UTC

On 11/24/2021 9:00 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:50:02 -0500, Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/2020 8:27 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
>>> OK Gang....... Anyone still lurk now that George has passed?
>>>
>>> Got caught last summer with pants down, middle of tomatoes ran to grocery
>>> store to buy lids; no dice. Hardware store; no dice, farm store; no dice.
>>> Throw 'em in the freezer.
>>> Find a few boxes on the internet, a buck a copy. Oh well have a few.
>>>
>>> Shopping for Christmas decided to look again; finding lots of lids that are
>>> listed as canning, but only address uses that don't involve heat.
>>>
>>> Have names I've never heard before, not Ball, Kerr, Jarden, Golden Harvest.
>>> Names like COOOFO.
>>>
>>> Are these true canning lids or just meant for storage?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> Well, this problem has persisted. Almost no lids without buying jars since
>> summer canning season. The first I found, which came with rings I didn't
>> need, were produced by 'Pur' from China. Very flimsy, bent easily when
>> removed after sealing and had very little sealing 'rubber.' I don't use the
>> lids over for canning, but with dried items, I do sometimes and use my
>> FoodSaver to vacuum seal dry goods. But, even slightly bent won't work.
>>
>> Not into Amazon or hoarding, but I will being buying a case of Ball or Kerr
>> if ever I get a chance again. ;)
>
> I am wary of any new brands for canning items and certainly understand
> that concern.
>
> I wonder if you aren't in some regional bubble? We've plenty of Ball
> in the markets here in NNJ and larger box stores either have them on
> the shelves of will ship to one of their stores near you for you to
> pick up. The groceries tend to keep only the smallest of supplies near
> this time of year. Holiday goods seem to take over the shelves.
>
> I do not consider myself a lid hoarder, but almost always have a few
> dozen lids around just in case I want to put something up
> unexpectedly. Next week that will be kumquat marmalade as a tree that
> I keep out on the deck for the summer, but bring in to overwinter has
> decided to ripen fruit like crazy. Nice to have everything here
> already.

Thanks. In eastern Maine, we are sort of at the end of the line and it could
also have something to do with our Canadian border too. We'll survive and
this year's canning is just about done anyway. Just sharing the pain. ;)

Re: Canning lids

<oqftpghku5jp08aj2nf1lc6pcfc78vel7h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=334&group=rec.gardens.edible#334

From: boron_el...@hotmail.com (Boron Elgar)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:41:04 -0500
 by: Boron Elgar - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:41 UTC

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:13:41 -0500, Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com>
wrote:

>On 11/24/2021 9:00 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:50:02 -0500, Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com>
>> wrote:
snip
>>> Not into Amazon or hoarding, but I will being buying a case of Ball or Kerr
>>> if ever I get a chance again. ;)
>>
>> I am wary of any new brands for canning items and certainly understand
>> that concern.
>>
>> I wonder if you aren't in some regional bubble? We've plenty of Ball
>> in the markets here in NNJ and larger box stores either have them on
>> the shelves of will ship to one of their stores near you for you to
>> pick up. The groceries tend to keep only the smallest of supplies near
>> this time of year. Holiday goods seem to take over the shelves.
>>
>> I do not consider myself a lid hoarder, but almost always have a few
>> dozen lids around just in case I want to put something up
>> unexpectedly. Next week that will be kumquat marmalade as a tree that
>> I keep out on the deck for the summer, but bring in to overwinter has
>> decided to ripen fruit like crazy. Nice to have everything here
>> already.
>>

>Thanks. In eastern Maine, we are sort of at the end of the line and it could
>also have something to do with our Canadian border too. We'll survive and
>this year's canning is just about done anyway. Just sharing the pain. ;)

Best of luck