Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:42:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Aude conari
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 05:42 UTC

Non ego sed scriptor Georgius Saunders:

Many years ago, during a visit to Washington DC, my wife's cousin pointed out to us a crypt on a hill and mentioned that, in 1862, while Abraham Lincoln was president, his beloved son, Willie, died, and was temporarily interred in that crypt, and that the grief-stricken Lincoln had, according to the newspapers of the day, entered the crypt "on several occasions" to hold the boy's body. An image spontaneously leapt into my mind – a melding of the Lincoln Memorial and the Pietà. I carried that image around for the next 20-odd years, too scared to try something that seemed so profound, and then finally, in 2012, noticing that I wasn't getting any younger, not wanting to be the guy whose own gravestone would read "Afraid to Embark on Scary Artistic Project He Desperately Longed to Attempt", decided to take a run at it, in exploratory fashion, no commitments. My novel, Lincoln in the Bardo, is the result of that attempt [...].[10]

Abhinc multis annis, inter mansionem in urbe Vasintonia Districtu Columbiae, uxoris consobrina nos certiores fecit de crypta in colle propiore quaeque adhoc memoravit eventum qui anno 1862. occurrit dum Abraham Lincolni usque magisterium suum egit. Filius eius Wilhelmulus mortuus erat et tempore in eadem crypta sepultus erat, quo dolore afflictus Lincoln, secundum acta diurna contemporaria, saepenumero intravit ut corpus pueri in bracchiis foveret. Statim quasi sua sponte imago in mentem meam insiluit — confluvium illius Atrii Memoriae Lincolni et Michaelis Angeli statuae c.n. Pieta. Mecum manebat haec imago per annos ferme viginta, nimis territus ne ordiar aliquid quod ita profundum visum est. Tum demum anno 2012, animadvertens me non iuniorem fieri, neque volens me futurum hominem cuius cippus inscriberetur hoc lemmate: "ecce homuncio formidulosus ne ingrediatur incepto artistico quod valde avebat experiri," decrevi rem coeptare, more tentativo, nulla obligatione coactus. Fabula mea romanica _Lincoln in Bardo _(limbus inter esse et non esse, status subrealis

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_in_the_Bardo)
bt