From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Canning lids
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:10:49 -0500
 by: Wilson - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:10 UTC

On 11/23/2021 6:46 PM, songbird wrote:
> Wilson wrote:
>> Well, this problem has persisted. Almost no lids without buying jars since
>> summer canning season. The first I found, which came with rings I didn't
>> need, were produced by 'Pur' from China. Very flimsy, bent easily when
>> removed after sealing and had very little sealing 'rubber.' I don't use the
>> lids over for canning, but with dried items, I do sometimes and use my
>> FoodSaver to vacuum seal dry goods. But, even slightly bent won't work.
>>
>> Not into Amazon or hoarding, but I will being buying a case of Ball or Kerr
>> if ever I get a chance again. ;)
>
> they've been in supply off and on all year for us. right
> now i can probably come up with some if needed but we do
> have a supply on hand so no need for us to get more.
>
> rumor has it that they will be back more in supply starting
> in the spring of 2022. we'll see...
>
> one thing that people do not see recommended but that many
> people do is that they will reuse lids. we do that here too
> as sometimes a lid has hardly any visible change to it other
> than the sealant being a bit disformed, but if you use a
> clean jar with a good rim that should seal up again. i've
> done this for high acid items and they've sealed a second
> time with no failures at all (several hundred quarts).
>
> of course this is at your own risk and potentially some
> may fail, but if you stick to higher acid items i think you'll
> be fairly safe and then if something doesn't seal you can put
> it in the fridge and use it up right away or reprocess with
> another lid and try again. to me that's not likely to happen,
> we'll just use it up.
>
> the other thing to consider is how expensive the items are
> that you're canning. if they're bulk and relatively low
> value then you can risk a used lid if you must and don't
> have any other options and that ways you can use the new
> lids you might have for the higher value items.
>
> we also save good condition used lids for use for things
> we put in the freezer (i always prefer things frozen in
> glass over plastic - but there are things you must do
> right when using glass in the freezer and sometimes even
> if you do it right you still might crack a jar here or
> there).
>
> so, erm, where was i? :) rambly mood this evening. :)
> good luck!
>

> songbird

Thanks. We do a lot of re-purposing ourselves. Just like fresh new ones when
we pressure cook or give gifts.

Re: Canning lids

<ef13ea20-fb54-46a8-9db6-fccdcddc2a4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=335&group=rec.gardens.edible#335

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:54:31 -0800 (PST)
From: pint...@jhmi.edu (Pavel314)
 by: Pavel314 - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:54 UTC

This site looks good:

https://www.masonjarlid.com/?msclkid=9dee706131a4194f207f11fe39c6b64f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US-masonlid-5.26&utm_term=canning%20lids&utm_content=masonlid%205.26

Paul