From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: "My Little Margie"
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 04:41:09 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 08:41 UTC

If you are 75 y.o. or more, you may remember "My Little Margie" from TV
in the 50's.

I'd almost forgotten it, but I found it on youtube and it's really good.

There are at least 12 episodes, probably more, and if you start with the
one that is a list, with an all black screen image, it will play one
after another, and it will stay maximized too.

Margie's father, for some reason, has had to be mother and father to her
since she was born. Now she's 21, seems to not go to school and not have
a job, but she still gets an allowance. And she's always nicely dressed.
I want to live like she does. Well, I almost do, but it's not the same.

Highly recommended.

Re: "My Little Margie"

<BQM7L.299841$IRd5.3167@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=32692&group=alt.home.repair#32692

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Re: "My Little Margie"
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:47:13 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:47 UTC

On 2022-10-31, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> If you are 75 y.o. or more, you may remember "My Little Margie" from TV
> in the 50's.
>
> I'd almost forgotten it, but I found it on youtube and it's really good.
>
> There are at least 12 episodes, probably more, and if you start with the
> one that is a list, with an all black screen image, it will play one
> after another, and it will stay maximized too.
>
> Margie's father, for some reason, has had to be mother and father to her
> since she was born. Now she's 21, seems to not go to school and not have
> a job, but she still gets an allowance. And she's always nicely dressed.
> I want to live like she does. Well, I almost do, but it's not the same.

Margie's father was the vice-president of an investment firm. She
didn't need to go to school or work. Just wait until a suitable man
came along for marriage. I'm too young to remember the show, but
apparently Margie had a boyfriend. No idea if he was marriage material.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: "My Little Margie"

<tjol70$1ucb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=32707&group=alt.home.repair#32707

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:13:50 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:13 UTC

On 10/31/22 5:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-10-31, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> If you are 75 y.o. or more, you may remember "My Little Margie" from TV
>> in the 50's.
>>
>> I'd almost forgotten it, but I found it on youtube and it's really good.
>>
>> There are at least 12 episodes, probably more, and if you start with the
>> one that is a list, with an all black screen image, it will play one
>> after another, and it will stay maximized too.
>>
>> Margie's father, for some reason, has had to be mother and father to her
>> since she was born. Now she's 21, seems to not go to school and not have
>> a job, but she still gets an allowance. And she's always nicely dressed.
>> I want to live like she does. Well, I almost do, but it's not the same.
>
> Margie's father was the vice-president of an investment firm. She
> didn't need to go to school or work. Just wait until a suitable man
> came along for marriage. I'm too young to remember the show, but
> apparently Margie had a boyfriend. No idea if he was marriage material.

My somewhat hazy recollection is Margie hung out primarily in dive-bars
where she favored beer-belly bikers and tattooed guys just out of the
joint...

Re: "My Little Margie"

<2mmvlhtkfkvl60rucqm4r5he5h18bildrv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=32708&group=alt.home.repair#32708

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:25:46 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:25 UTC

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:13:50 -0400, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
wrote:

>On 10/31/22 5:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-10-31, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>> If you are 75 y.o. or more, you may remember "My Little Margie" from TV
>>> in the 50's.
>>>
>>> I'd almost forgotten it, but I found it on youtube and it's really good.
>>>
>>> There are at least 12 episodes, probably more, and if you start with the
>>> one that is a list, with an all black screen image, it will play one
>>> after another, and it will stay maximized too.
>>>
>>> Margie's father, for some reason, has had to be mother and father to her
>>> since she was born. Now she's 21, seems to not go to school and not have
>>> a job, but she still gets an allowance. And she's always nicely dressed.
>>> I want to live like she does. Well, I almost do, but it's not the same.
>>
>> Margie's father was the vice-president of an investment firm. She
>> didn't need to go to school or work. Just wait until a suitable man
>> came along for marriage. I'm too young to remember the show, but
>> apparently Margie had a boyfriend. No idea if he was marriage material.
>>
>My somewhat hazy recollection is Margie hung out primarily in dive-bars
>where she favored beer-belly bikers and tattooed guys just out of the
>joint...

... nah - that was the Betty White show.
John T.

Re: "My Little Margie"

<rssvlhhg69m2bmq8h9n1vimd558hv40oc1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=32713&group=alt.home.repair#32713

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:27:01 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:27 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:47:13 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2022-10-31, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> If you are 75 y.o. or more, you may remember "My Little Margie" from TV
>> in the 50's.
>>
>> I'd almost forgotten it, but I found it on youtube and it's really good.
>>
>> There are at least 12 episodes, probably more, and if you start with the
>> one that is a list, with an all black screen image, it will play one
>> after another, and it will stay maximized too.
>>
>> Margie's father, for some reason, has had to be mother and father to her
>> since she was born. Now she's 21, seems to not go to school and not have
>> a job, but she still gets an allowance. And she's always nicely dressed.
>> I want to live like she does. Well, I almost do, but it's not the same.
>
>Margie's father was the vice-president of an investment firm. She
>didn't need to go to school or work.

That's true. I may be confused with my mother, who worked every vacation
from school she had since she was 13 years old, including summer,
Christmas and Easter (until she got married at 22). Or the girls I
grew up with, who worked after college. Margie didn't do charity work
either, but maybe that was for married women.

> Just wait until a suitable man
>came along for marriage. I'm too young to remember the show, but
>apparently Margie had a boyfriend. No idea if he was marriage material.

Her father certainly didn't think so. No ambition, no future, and I
think that meant he'd never make any money (You're bright and
intelligent. You can do better.") although he does have an office in
some episodes. Don't know what he does there. In last night's episode,
Vern Albright is supposed to land a big foundation, which just got a new
chairman, as a client, and it turns out that Freddie's father is the new
chairman. That might mean that his father is rich and he will be too,
but even if so, small contradictions like that are no worse than one of
Fred MacMurray's children or someone's wife changing hir appearance from
one season to another.

I also want to recommend "Private Secretary", which I think is sometimes
called the "Ann Sothern" show, and on screen starts off being called
"Suzi". Sometimes Marlo Thomas in "That Girl" (also an excellent show
except for her nebbish boyfriend) is given credit as the precursor to
the "Mary Tyler Moore Show", single girl living alone, working, etc. but
"Private Secretery" precedes both of them and she was just as important
at work at Ann Marie or Mary Richards. Quite a few episodes of this one
on Youtube too. Try to get the entry with the all black image in the
image column and it will play one after another. But I think it
remembers where you were even if you close the tab, and even maybe if
you close the browser or windows (Unless you've logged out of google.)

Re: "My Little Margie"

<acf0mhpmr8oh3aprs1cs18mojt6mp0d6ff@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=32727&group=alt.home.repair#32727

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:31:27 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 21:31 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:27:01 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:47:13 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
><hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2022-10-31, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>> If you are 75 y.o. or more, you may remember "My Little Margie" from TV
>>> in the 50's.
>>>
>>> I'd almost forgotten it, but I found it on youtube and it's really good.
>>>
>>> There are at least 12 episodes, probably more, and if you start with the
>>> one that is a list, with an all black screen image, it will play one
>>> after another, and it will stay maximized too.
>>>
>>> Margie's father, for some reason, has had to be mother and father to her
>>> since she was born. Now she's 21, seems to not go to school and not have
>>> a job, but she still gets an allowance. And she's always nicely dressed.
>>> I want to live like she does. Well, I almost do, but it's not the same.
>>
>>Margie's father was the vice-president of an investment firm. She
>>didn't need to go to school or work.
>
>That's true. I may be confused with my mother, who worked every vacation
>from school she had since she was 13 years old, including summer,
>Christmas and Easter (until she got married at 22). Or the girls I
>grew up with, who worked after college. Margie didn't do charity work
>either, but maybe that was for married women.
>
>> Just wait until a suitable man
>>came along for marriage. I'm too young to remember the show, but
>>apparently Margie had a boyfriend. No idea if he was marriage material.
>
>Her father certainly didn't think so. No ambition, no future, and I
>think that meant he'd never make any money (You're bright and
>intelligent. You can do better.") although he does have an office in
>some episodes. Don't know what he does there. In last night's episode,
>Vern Albright is supposed to land a big foundation, which just got a new
>chairman, as a client, and it turns out that Freddie's father is the new
>chairman. That might mean that his father is rich and he will be too,
>but even if so, small contradictions like that are no worse than one of
>Fred MacMurray's children or someone's wife changing hir appearance from
>one season to another.

Today she got her annaual check from the trust fund her grandmother set
up for her, $400. I guess that's about $4000 now. YOu can't live
very high on the hog for that, per year. Thank goodness she has an
allowance.

She wants to trade her car in in a few months and wants her father to
triple her money in that time. He said he couldn't safely get more that
6%. (IIRC banks were paying 3% interest through most of the 50's,
although I saw ads for a bank or two in California that was paying 5
1/2%. Because I didn't know how money worked, I thought it was a con,
even though it was in a reputable periodical. I guess California was
booming then. Of course stocks might pay more, but they weren't
insured. Even in the 80's not all the banks in Maryland were not
insured, but that's another story.)

Re: "My Little Margie"

<imf0mh196m64fjbumefelq27hno7pl9o7n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=32805&group=alt.home.repair#32805

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 08:02:00 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 12:02 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:31:27 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Today she got her annaual check from the trust fund her grandmother set
>up for her, $400. I guess that's about $4000 now. YOu can't live
>very high on the hog for that, per year. Thank goodness she has an
>allowance.
>
>She wants to trade her car in in a few months and wants her father to
>triple her money in that time. He said he couldn't safely get more that
>6%. (IIRC banks were paying 3% interest through most of the 50's,
>although I saw ads for a bank or two in California that was paying 5
>1/2%. Because I didn't know how money worked, I thought it was a con,
>even though it was in a reputable periodical. I guess California was
>booming then. Of course stocks might pay more, but they weren't
>insured. Even in the 80's not all the banks in Maryland were not
>insured, but that's another story.)

S4E32 is colorized, and they seem to have moved to NYC, from LA.

Freddie is collecting unemployment now.

She has a fur stole, but a mostly white dress.

her father siad he'd give her @, but she has to drive her old car for
another year if she loses money.

The guy has an old style office. The fan looks just like the fan wwe
took from my father's office after he died in in '55. The chair looks
just like the chair from my brother's father's office after he died in
'41.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: "My Little Margie"