It's bad enough that life is a rat-race, but why do the rats always have to win?

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

SubjectAuthor
* Installing vinyl planks on stairs.Sid 03
+- Installing vinyl planks on stairs.Marilyn Manson
+- Installing vinyl planks on stairs.Marilyn Manson
`* Installing vinyl planks on stairs.hubops
 +- Installing vinyl planks on stairs.Clare Snyder
 `* Installing vinyl planks on stairs.Marilyn Manson
  `- Installing vinyl planks on stairs.Sid 03

1
Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

<fca4d1ed-418d-43ab-8f17-225d97c3f6f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3076&group=alt.home.repair#3076

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.
From: sidwe...@gmail.com (Sid 03)
 by: Sid 03 - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 21:12 UTC

I am starting to install some planks on stars and wanted to know what most people did for installing the stair-nosing.

I watched several videos on installing stair-nosing was considering different ways of cutting the nose of the existing pre-fab'ed stairs like the following:

Picture I drew of some options: https://ibb.co/8bdtY53
Pic of the existing: https://ibb.co/w4J9QJN, https://ibb.co/PgNpffS

What the vendor sold us as raised stair-nose that matched the planks.

Then I found these videos on how to bend stair-nose out of existing planks.
Has anyone ever done this with success ?

https://youtu.be/v627jfPhNBU
https://youtu.be/RCASgPttPD8
This company claims they will do it for you, but I don't see any contact info:
https://youtu.be/RlcbfpBuxEE

Thanks

Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

<d2662fce-9643-44ee-9f75-dce123ec6e13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3083&group=alt.home.repair#3083

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:42:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 22:42 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 5:12:10 PM UTC-4, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am starting to install some planks on stars and wanted to know what most people did for installing the stair-nosing.
>
> I watched several videos on installing stair-nosing was considering different ways of cutting the nose of the existing pre-fab'ed stairs like the following:
>
> Picture I drew of some options: https://ibb.co/8bdtY53
> Pic of the existing: https://ibb.co/w4J9QJN, https://ibb.co/PgNpffS
>
> What the vendor sold us as raised stair-nose that matched the planks.
>
> Then I found these videos on how to bend stair-nose out of existing planks.
> Has anyone ever done this with success ?
>
> https://youtu.be/v627jfPhNBU
> https://youtu.be/RCASgPttPD8
> This company claims they will do it for you, but I don't see any contact info:
> https://youtu.be/RlcbfpBuxEE
>
> Thanks

Is there supposed to be a link for "What the vendor sold us as raised
stair-nose that matched the planks"?

I've never tried bending VP to create a bullnose, but I'm going to test the
method used by Greg. While his jig is more complicated to build than the
second one, I'd expect more consistent results than using a single board
and a few rocks.

I wonder how seams in the bullnose would work out. My steps are 40" wide.
The plank I put in the foyer was only 36" long. If I wanted to match, I'd either
have to chose a plank that comes 40"+ widths or have an end seam. As I'm
sure you know, you don't usually see seams in stair treads.

I especially liked his sliding jig for cutting the treads to length. Sure beats
using the Tom Silva method, which I've used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOcPPO4LRfI&t=263s

Send us pics when you get done. ;-)

Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

<3c2ded1f-00b5-48ac-b65b-aea1c63d893cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3084&group=alt.home.repair#3084

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:48:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 22:48 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 5:12:10 PM UTC-4, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am starting to install some planks on stars and wanted to know what most people did for installing the stair-nosing.
>
> I watched several videos on installing stair-nosing was considering different ways of cutting the nose of the existing pre-fab'ed stairs like the following:
>
> Picture I drew of some options: https://ibb.co/8bdtY53
> Pic of the existing: https://ibb.co/w4J9QJN, https://ibb.co/PgNpffS
>
> What the vendor sold us as raised stair-nose that matched the planks.
>
> Then I found these videos on how to bend stair-nose out of existing planks.
> Has anyone ever done this with success ?
>
> https://youtu.be/v627jfPhNBU
> https://youtu.be/RCASgPttPD8
> This company claims they will do it for you, but I don't see any contact info:
> https://youtu.be/RlcbfpBuxEE
>
> Thanks

Sorry...I meant Cliff's jig, not "Greg".

Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

<hoc3hglndo1pvs8o9f597g6l5kp2pvq2i0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3085&group=alt.home.repair#3085

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 19:12:53 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:12 UTC

On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:12:06 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I am starting to install some planks on stars and wanted to know what most people did for installing the stair-nosing.
>
>I watched several videos on installing stair-nosing was considering different ways of cutting the nose of the existing pre-fab'ed stairs like the following:
>
>Picture I drew of some options: https://ibb.co/8bdtY53
>Pic of the existing: https://ibb.co/w4J9QJN, https://ibb.co/PgNpffS
>
>What the vendor sold us as raised stair-nose that matched the planks.
>
>Then I found these videos on how to bend stair-nose out of existing planks.
>Has anyone ever done this with success ?
>
>https://youtu.be/v627jfPhNBU
>https://youtu.be/RCASgPttPD8
>This company claims they will do it for you, but I don't see any contact info:
>https://youtu.be/RlcbfpBuxEE
>
>Thanks

Thanks for sharing - especially " born before H & S " ..

The plank vinyl flooring that I have seen - " floats "
ie : it isn't glued or anchored - but rather it clicks-in
and resists any minor movements by the structural inertia
of the whole floor being attached.
I wonder how the use of vinyl planks - on stairs -
affects this stability ? How is it attached ?
My worry would be - the first time that the appliance store
delivery guys march up & down - twice - with the new and old
< 300 lb.> washer and dryer - the vinyl planks and noses -
< home-made or factory made > might not survive ..
John T.

Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

<i3m3hgdq1vebi7vfpgrmbp40tk7qul7aem@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3097&group=alt.home.repair#3097

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 21:41:33 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 01:41 UTC

On Mon, 09 Aug 2021 19:12:53 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:12:06 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I am starting to install some planks on stars and wanted to know what most people did for installing the stair-nosing.
>>
>>I watched several videos on installing stair-nosing was considering different ways of cutting the nose of the existing pre-fab'ed stairs like the following:
>>
>>Picture I drew of some options: https://ibb.co/8bdtY53
>>Pic of the existing: https://ibb.co/w4J9QJN, https://ibb.co/PgNpffS
>>
>>What the vendor sold us as raised stair-nose that matched the planks.
>>
>>Then I found these videos on how to bend stair-nose out of existing planks.
>>Has anyone ever done this with success ?
>>
>>https://youtu.be/v627jfPhNBU
>>https://youtu.be/RCASgPttPD8
>>This company claims they will do it for you, but I don't see any contact info:
>>https://youtu.be/RlcbfpBuxEE
>>
>>Thanks
>

>Thanks for sharing - especially " born before H & S " ..
>
>The plank vinyl flooring that I have seen - " floats "
> ie : it isn't glued or anchored - but rather it clicks-in
>and resists any minor movements by the structural inertia
>of the whole floor being attached.
> I wonder how the use of vinyl planks - on stairs -
>affects this stability ? How is it attached ?
> My worry would be - the first time that the appliance store
>delivery guys march up & down - twice - with the new and old
> < 300 lb.> washer and dryer - the vinyl planks and noses -
> < home-made or factory made > might not survive ..
> John T.

The vinyl can be glued onto stairs and either vinyl or aluminum nosing
can be screwed or glued. Planks can be heat bent around the tread to
form an "integrated nosing" which can be glued to the tread. I would
pre-form them over a slightly undersized tread to form a good tight
fit to glue on and likely staple it to the bottom of the nose portion
of the tread just as "belt and suspenders engineering"

Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

<0a4ba1e1-2d88-4c96-9631-2e0ecce4ad8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3098&group=alt.home.repair#3098

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:46:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 01:46 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 7:12:08 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:12:06 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >I am starting to install some planks on stars and wanted to know what most people did for installing the stair-nosing.
> >
> >I watched several videos on installing stair-nosing was considering different ways of cutting the nose of the existing pre-fab'ed stairs like the following:
> >
> >Picture I drew of some options: https://ibb.co/8bdtY53
> >Pic of the existing: https://ibb.co/w4J9QJN, https://ibb.co/PgNpffS
> >
> >What the vendor sold us as raised stair-nose that matched the planks.
> >
> >Then I found these videos on how to bend stair-nose out of existing planks.
> >Has anyone ever done this with success ?
> >
> >https://youtu.be/v627jfPhNBU
> >https://youtu.be/RCASgPttPD8
> >This company claims they will do it for you, but I don't see any contact info:
> >https://youtu.be/RlcbfpBuxEE
> >
> >Thanks
> Thanks for sharing - especially " born before H & S " ..
>
> The plank vinyl flooring that I have seen - " floats "
> ie : it isn't glued or anchored - but rather it clicks-in
> and resists any minor movements by the structural inertia
> of the whole floor being attached.
> I wonder how the use of vinyl planks - on stairs -
> affects this stability ? How is it attached ?

Construction adhesive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpwpGv8K0kk&t=354s

> My worry would be - the first time that the appliance store
> delivery guys march up & down - twice - with the new and old
> < 300 lb.> washer and dryer - the vinyl planks and noses -
> < home-made or factory made > might not survive ..

That is a valid concern which also applies to wooden stairs,
carpet, etc.

One of many solutions is Ram Board.

https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Board-Stair-Temporary-Protection/dp/B08S1CC21L

Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.

<a08b7801-a989-4982-a708-bd8caf1118a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3264&group=alt.home.repair#3264

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:22:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: sidwe...@gmail.com (Sid 03)
 by: Sid 03 - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 22:22 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 8:46:04 PM UTC-5, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 7:12:08 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:12:06 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidw...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >I am starting to install some planks on stars and wanted to know what most people did for installing the stair-nosing.
> > >
> > >I watched several videos on installing stair-nosing was considering different ways of cutting the nose of the existing pre-fab'ed stairs like the following:
> > >
> > >Picture I drew of some options: https://ibb.co/8bdtY53
> > >Pic of the existing: https://ibb.co/w4J9QJN, https://ibb.co/PgNpffS
> > >
> > >What the vendor sold us as raised stair-nose that matched the planks.
> > >
> > >Then I found these videos on how to bend stair-nose out of existing planks.
> > >Has anyone ever done this with success ?
> > >
> > >https://youtu.be/v627jfPhNBU
> > >https://youtu.be/RCASgPttPD8
> > >This company claims they will do it for you, but I don't see any contact info:
> > >https://youtu.be/RlcbfpBuxEE
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > Thanks for sharing - especially " born before H & S " ..
> >
> > The plank vinyl flooring that I have seen - " floats "
> > ie : it isn't glued or anchored - but rather it clicks-in
> > and resists any minor movements by the structural inertia
> > of the whole floor being attached.
> > I wonder how the use of vinyl planks - on stairs -
> > affects this stability ? How is it attached ?
> Construction adhesive.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpwpGv8K0kk&t=354s
> > My worry would be - the first time that the appliance store
> > delivery guys march up & down - twice - with the new and old
> > < 300 lb.> washer and dryer - the vinyl planks and noses -
> > < home-made or factory made > might not survive ..
> That is a valid concern which also applies to wooden stairs,
> carpet, etc.
>
> One of many solutions is Ram Board.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Board-Stair-Temporary-Protection/dp/B08S1CC21L

Here is a homemade stair-gig: https://youtu.be/aL_xOq3h6xY
He could have used some finder washers on the top side ?!

I don't know if I liked the idea of placing a joint on the stair-tread, When I put in the flooring at the bottom of the stairs I tried not to place an butt-joints at the bottom of the stairs.
My theory is that each time someone steps on a plank it flexes a little and the joints are the weakest part of the system and would break there first.
So avoiding a lot of extra joints in the high traffic areas is probably a good idea.

Did anyone try bending a plank yet ?

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Installing vinyl planks on stairs.