From: mt999...@ymail.com (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,rec.woodworking
Subject: Re: Can I use a Laguer Spray under/over Spar Urethane?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 01:49:26 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 05:49 UTC

On 6/28/2021 8:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> This question got me immediately banned/deleted from 2 DIY and
> Woodworking subreddits and I can't find the "DIY" or
> "HomeImprovement" Usenet groups (do they even still exist?). So if
> you don't like this post, you can STICK IT UP YOUR ASS!
>
> That said, here it is cut and paste:
>
> I used some exterior Spar "Varathane"(tm) SPRAY CAN on a freshly
> stained (48 hour-old) wood front door (off hinges, lying flat,
> several coats). I don't know where it all landed, but it wasn't on
> the door except in a few spots. I think the nozzle was messed up.
> But I'm new to polyurethane finishing and I didn't know it wasn't
> spraying quite like it was supposed to(?).
>
> Can I use a clear lacquer spray that sprays a nice, sweet even
> stream (Krylon ColorWorks) without unhinging the door before the
> rain and heat sets in again. And then try finishing it again in a
> few months properly with brushed (NOT SPRAY) spar urethane when it's
> more convenient to have the door off its hinges again for a whole
> day? (Texas) With or without a light sanding?
>
> The Kryon Lacquer seems to have held up well on a test piece of
> lightly stained bare wood even after throwing water, mineral
> spirits. pine oil, and 151 rum on it over the last week. Will spar
> stick to lacquer afterwards and evenly? There's really not much
> urethane on th door that I can tell - only where I switch-backed in
> a few spots when I sprayed from 2" away on the last coat (can
> recommends 5X that distance, which I ignorantly obeyed at first).
>
> -sw

rec.woodworking is still very active; crossposted.

Re: Can I use a Laguer Spray under/over Spar Urethane?

<bkildgd8ecrb3mjet66oh5dcb51v4a7c86@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3241&group=rec.woodworking#3241

From: elbr...@invalid.invalid (Bruccio)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,rec.woodworking
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 17:24:03 +1000
 by: Bruccio - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 07:24 UTC

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 01:49:26 -0400, Michael Trew <mt999999@ymail.com>
wrote:

>On 6/28/2021 8:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> This question got me immediately banned/deleted from 2 DIY and
>> Woodworking subreddits and I can't find the "DIY" or
>> "HomeImprovement" Usenet groups (do they even still exist?). So if
>> you don't like this post, you can STICK IT UP YOUR ASS!
>>
>> That said, here it is cut and paste:
>>
>> I used some exterior Spar "Varathane"(tm) SPRAY CAN on a freshly
>> stained (48 hour-old) wood front door (off hinges, lying flat,
>> several coats). I don't know where it all landed, but it wasn't on
>> the door except in a few spots. I think the nozzle was messed up.
>> But I'm new to polyurethane finishing and I didn't know it wasn't
>> spraying quite like it was supposed to(?).
>>
>> Can I use a clear lacquer spray that sprays a nice, sweet even
>> stream (Krylon ColorWorks) without unhinging the door before the
>> rain and heat sets in again. And then try finishing it again in a
>> few months properly with brushed (NOT SPRAY) spar urethane when it's
>> more convenient to have the door off its hinges again for a whole
>> day? (Texas) With or without a light sanding?
>>
>> The Kryon Lacquer seems to have held up well on a test piece of
>> lightly stained bare wood even after throwing water, mineral
>> spirits. pine oil, and 151 rum on it over the last week. Will spar
>> stick to lacquer afterwards and evenly? There's really not much
>> urethane on th door that I can tell - only where I switch-backed in
>> a few spots when I sprayed from 2" away on the last coat (can
>> recommends 5X that distance, which I ignorantly obeyed at first).
>>
>> -sw
>

>rec.woodworking is still very active; crossposted.

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Can I use a Laguer Spray under/over Spar Urethane?