Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,seattle.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: The_man_confirmed_—_and_then_rejected_—_a
s_Edmonds_police_chief_wants_his_day_in_court
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 19:55:57 -0800
 by: a425couple - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 03:55 UTC

What a mess. Citizens will probably pay plenty.
When a planned careful process gets suddenly upended
because someone is sure they have a brilliant plan.

The man confirmed — and then rejected — as Edmonds police chief wants
his day in court

Sherman Pruitt
An attorney representing Sherman Pruitt — who was confirmed as Edmonds’
police chief only to have the offer rescinded a week later — has filed a
legal claim against the city; usually the first step toward a lawsuit.

“Chief Pruitt is a highly qualified, seasoned police chief,” said
Pruitt’s attorney, Beth Bloom. “He was looking forward to accepting the
position of chief of police and he and his family have been devastated
by the withdrawal of his job offer under circumstances highly unusual
and tinged with racism.”

The claim, said Bloom, is that the city discriminated against Pruitt
“based on race” when it denied him the position of chief. This is a
precursor to a possible lawsuit; the city has 60 days to investigate the
claims before attorneys can file. “We are,” Bloom added, “doing our due
diligence, continuing to investigate.”

In December 2020, Mayor Mike Nelson nominated Pruitt as Edmonds’ top cop
to replace retired Chief Al Compaan. Pruitt, police chief of the
Sauk-Suiattle Tribal Police, was one of two finalists – along with
then-Assistant Edmonds Police Chief Jim Lawless.

The city council was bitterly divided over the nomination. Some members
questioned Pruitt’s qualifications and asked about past domestic
violence incidents and another police investigation of him. Other
members argued that Pruitt was what the city needed — a veteran officer
and person of color who could bring diversity to Edmonds.

In 2020-21, My Edmonds News investigated the questions around Pruitt’s
past and found that he had been reprimanded twice when he was in the
Marine Corps for instances of alleged domestic violence and that his
commander ordered him to counseling.

Our investigation also uncovered that the Seattle Police Department
(SPD) had hired Pruitt as a cadet in 2004, but just three months into
training, SPD terminated him for “failure to successfully complete the
probationary period.” We discovered that while in training, DuPont
(Pierce County) police had investigated him for threats Pruitt allegedly
made to the manager of a restaurant in which his wife worked. Shortly
after that, SPD terminated him.

In November 2020, prior to interviewing Pruitt, none of that information
was included in an application packet the city administration sent to
councilmembers. Councilmember Vivian Olson tracked down testimony by
Pruitt in a federal civil rights case in which he was questioned about
two domestic violence incidents. Other members urged a delay in the
confirmation vote. But Mayor Nelson and then-Council President Adrienne
Fraley-Monillas agreed to move up the vote a week earlier than planned.
The council confirmed Pruitt 4-3. One week later the mayor rescinded the
offer. That forced a new chief search; for 18 months, the city was
without a permanent chief.

Pruitt’s attorney argues that Nelson and Olson defamed him by
“unjustifiably attacking his reputation and integrity.” The claim says
Olson accused “…Chief Pruitt of lying on his job application…” and that
she suggested to the media “that Chief Pruitt had perpetrated a domestic
violence incident.”

Bloom said there is “ample circumstantial evidence of racial
discrimination leading to the mayor’s withdrawal of the job officer for
the chief.” We have asked Olson, Nelson and City Attorney Jeff Taraday
for comment; they have not responded.

The claim contends that Pruitt has suffered economic and non-economic
damages, still to be determined, and “they are valued in the millions of
dollars.” The city has 60 days to respond before any suit can be filed.

— By Bob Throndsen

FacebookTwitterPinterestLinkedInShare
Jim Fairchild
November 21, 2022 at 6:22 pm
The mayor’s biggest blunder quite possibly. But just one of many. I
really don’t think the mayor is racist just incompetent the question is
then do us taxpayers become liable for it?

Chris Smith
November 22, 2022 at 8:36 am
I commend Mr. Pruitt on having the guts to take this issue one, this is
the kind of character we need in a leadership position in the city of
Edmonds. It’s about time that this Mayor and his missing in action HR
director areheld accountable for the horrible decisions and lack of
leadership they have provided Edmonds. City halls sits empty yet they
build a second one. What’s the thought behind that. There is a clear
division between the decision makers ( Mayer and co.) and the personnel
carrying out those decisions. This city needs a Mayer that is
transparent and in touch with their city and the people he serves.

Brian Drechsler
November 22, 2022 at 10:20 am
I agree this city could use musician John Mayer. Other than that, I side
against domestic violence although apparently not everyone agrees, like
a former City Council member.

Adrienne Fraley-Monillas
November 21, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Congratulations, Diane amd Vivian. You got what you wanted, which was
the removal of the black candidate for police chief.

Evan Nelson
November 22, 2022 at 12:50 pm
I don’t find that accusation accurate or helpful.

This lawsuit will occur because of one reason:
Unscrupulous actors, including yourself and Mayor Nelson, pushed through
this nomination even when disqualifying information was presented.

That type of disfunction was one of the main complaints of voters in our
last city election. Essentially a significant lack of meaningful
respectful communication, where issues like disqualifying information
for a major city position was ignored, almost solely because of partisan
snarkiness. Instead of putting the interests of the city of Edmonds first.

Annon Stewart
November 22, 2022 at 1:05 pm
It’s astounding to me that you, Ms. Fraley-Monillas and others gloss
over the fact that Mr. Pruitt has a documented history of domestic
violence. I don’t and didn’t care about the color of his skin. Anyone
who lays hands on a partner is, in my opinion, not fit to be chief of
police (or an officer) anywhere. It appears that you wanted this
particular man to be in charge of our police force so badly that a woman
being abused is okay in your book. Makes absolutely no sense to me, but
many of the things you chose and choose to support defy logic. This was
completely foreseeable, and is yet another example of the price we pay
for electing the people we do.

Scott Gordon
November 22, 2022 at 5:18 pm
AMF, that’s why you lost. The vile and contempt for people who don’t
think like you is pretty obvious. So was the interview about racism in
Edmonds. If anyone is racist it’s you. You made your own bed. Give it up.

Mary Dever
November 22, 2022 at 5:20 pm
suggest we remove the descriptor word “black”
from candidate because this is not a qualification for the office of
police chief. After reading about his past issues around domestic
violence with two wives and worrisome allegations regarding threatening
behavior, I was and am extremely thankful that they had the courage and
ethics to raise the alarm and expose what you and Mayor Nelson were
charging ahead with to cover your poor choice and reasons for choosing
such a candidate.
It’s my opinion that you don’t learn from your mistakes, but you are
good at trying to make others pay for your mistakes.

William Russell
November 22, 2022 at 6:24 am
This is a perfect definition of “woke” and should officially be entered
into the dictionary. Mayor Nelson and his puppet Fraley-Monillas tried
to use Mr. Pruitt and should be personally held accountable, not the
city council. We need to thank Vivian doing her research.

Joy Trevino
November 22, 2022 at 6:36 am
This should be Mike Nelson’s cost, not we the people. Had nothing to do
with prejudice. He had a temper as I recall.

James OBrien
November 22, 2022 at 7:42 am
Timeline… the mayor recommends the former interim police chief to be
police chief because of his years of experience and familiarity working
already in the city. The former interim police chief is white. The
council lead by the president at the time, not Vivian, put their foot
down demanding a black candidate. The mayor recommends the black
candidate without doing the proper background checks. The council puts
the brakes on that. Let’s be clear here. The mayor had it right the
first time and the former council president lost during the last
election for a reason. So when she makes comments on this website please
remember how terrible she was for Edmonds. I still count get over her in
local news telling the Seattle viewers that Edmonds is full of racists.
We deserve better leadership and the day she was replaced was the day we
all got it.

Adrienne Fraley-Monillas
November 22, 2022 at 8:33 am
Mr. Obrien, You must have read the hit piece that the Trump party (
authored by the women who worked for Trumps campaign in this state )
sent out by mail to everyone the week before the election, it cost them
$10,000 to do this. Check the Public Disclosure Commission or i would be
happy to send you the list of people (trump supporters) who supported
it. Unlike wording on the hit piece what i said to the media when asked
if we had racism in Edmonds was yes we have racists incidents in
edmonds. I named a number of the incidents reported to police.
Misquoted? Of course! Perhaps educate yourself. File a public disclosure
request to our PD and take a look at the over 100 recommendations that
the police consultant ( hired after the temporary chief left)
recommended to improve our police force. The budget this year reflects
those recommendations. This Pruitt lawsuit will bring “behind the doors
of the city council” forward to really understand what Vivian and by
extension Diane did to harm this mans career with half truths and lies.
Sound familiar? Contact me if you wish to discuss further off MEN!

Click here to read the complete article