"The geeks shall inherit the earth." -- Karl Lehenbauer

interests / soc.culture.china / Glenn Loury: July Fourth 2021 – the case for unabashed Black patriotism on this Independence Day weekend

SubjectAuthor
* Glenn Loury: July Fourth 2021 – the case for unabaJedi Master
`* Re: Glenn Loury: July Fourth 2021 – the case for ultlee1
 `- Re: Glenn Loury: July Fourth 2021 – the case for uJedi Master

1
Glenn Loury: July Fourth 2021 – the case for unabashed Black patriotism on this Independence Day weekend

<0d0266f1-bb3b-4b82-96ae-8a492271c29dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3183&group=soc.culture.china#3183

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 04:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Glenn_Loury:_July_Fourth_2021_–_the_case_for_unaba
shed_Black_patriotism_on_this_Independence_Day_weekend
From: cybernet...@gmail.com (Jedi Master)
 by: Jedi Master - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 11:23 UTC

In the last 75 years, a vast Black middle class has developed. There are Black billionaires. The influence of Black people on the culture of America is stunning and has global resonance. Some 40 million strong, Black Americans are the richest and most powerful population of African descent on the planet.

Are we going to look through the dark lens of the U.S. as a racist, genocidal, white supremacist, illegitimate force? Or are we going to see it for what it has become over the course of the last three centuries: the greatest force for human liberty on the planet?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/july-fourth-2021-black-patriotism-independence-day-weekend-glenn-loury

Re: Glenn Loury: July Fourth 2021 – the case for unabashed Black patriotism on this Independence Day weekend

<47899065-1c3e-436b-bb07-ce76c6cc4960n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3184&group=soc.culture.china#3184

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 07:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Glenn_Loury:_July_Fourth_2021_–_the_case_for_u
nabashed_Black_patriotism_on_this_Independence_Day_weekend
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 14:09 UTC

On Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 7:23:27 AM UTC-4, Jedi Master wrote:
> In the last 75 years, a vast Black middle class has developed. There are Black billionaires. The influence of Black people on the culture of America is stunning and has global resonance. Some 40 million strong, Black Americans are the richest and most powerful population of African descent on the planet.
>
> Are we going to look through the dark lens of the U.S. as a racist, genocidal, white supremacist, illegitimate force? Or are we going to see it for what it has become over the course of the last three centuries: the greatest force for human liberty on the planet?
>
> https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/july-fourth-2021-black-patriotism-independence-day-weekend-glenn-loury

I am very surprised to see an intellectual like Glenn Loury making such a sophomoric mistake.
Suppose the average income of all Africans are X per year. What if US make X + y and y > 0 as the minimal wage for all black citizens?
Of course, one could then say Black Americans are highest wages population of African descent on the planet. But should black citizens celebrate?

Absolutely not if the minimal wage of white Americans is X + 2y.

Whether Black Americans are treated fairly and whether they are as a group fare better than all the population of African descent on the
planet are totally separate issues.

Re: Glenn Loury: July Fourth 2021 – the case for unabashed Black patriotism on this Independence Day weekend

<04e9dda5-a67e-4a2a-8639-ad2cae079109n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3201&group=soc.culture.china#3201

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 09:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
nabashed_Black_patriotism_on_this_Independence_Day_weekend
From: cybernet...@gmail.com (Jedi Master)
 by: Jedi Master - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:01 UTC

On Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 4:09:54 AM UTC-10, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 7:23:27 AM UTC-4, Jedi Master wrote:
> > In the last 75 years, a vast Black middle class has developed. There are Black billionaires. The influence of Black people on the culture of America is stunning and has global resonance. Some 40 million strong, Black Americans are the richest and most powerful population of African descent on the planet.
> >
> > Are we going to look through the dark lens of the U.S. as a racist, genocidal, white supremacist, illegitimate force? Or are we going to see it for what it has become over the course of the last three centuries: the greatest force for human liberty on the planet?
> >
> > https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/july-fourth-2021-black-patriotism-independence-day-weekend-glenn-loury
> I am very surprised to see an intellectual like Glenn Loury making such a sophomoric mistake.
> Suppose the average income of all Africans are X per year. What if US make X + y and y > 0 as the minimal wage for all black citizens?
> Of course, one could then say Black Americans are highest wages population of African descent on the planet. But should black citizens celebrate?
>
> Absolutely not if the minimal wage of white Americans is X + 2y.
>
> Whether Black Americans are treated fairly and whether they are as a group fare better than all the population of African descent on the
> planet are totally separate issues.

Your math is illogical based on variable quantity y>0

Loury's statement is stands.