There is brutality and there is honesty. There is no such thing as brutal honesty.

interests / alt.home.repair / How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

SubjectAuthor
* How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?micky
+- How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?trader_4
+* How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?Ed Pawlowski
|+- How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?micky
|`* How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?Mark Lloyd
| `* How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?micky
|  `* How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?TimR
|   `- How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?micky
`- How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?Roger Blake

1
How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<jlmthh9rpbtrqoalnkoout7t8f547l3gj5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30683&group=alt.home.repair#30683

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 03:21:26 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 07:21 UTC

NextDoor is a swamp, that sucks you in like quicksand is alleged to do.

Tonight someone complained that two couches are on the grass between the
sidewalk and the curb, (This is a nice middle-class single family home
n'hood). She says they should have been taken to the dump.

She wanted to know how to contact the local HOA but people from elswhere
joined in. Everyone joined in and said to call code enforcement and so
forth. She doesn't know them so she's not willing to knock on teir
door.

She posted two pictures, she says they look raggedy. I say they look
nice, (imitation) leather, and even if they are raggedy, they're plenty
good enough for a poor person or someone just out of school to use.

Acc. to etiquette how long is one allowed to let a 2-seater and a
3-seater sit on the grass before you have to rent a truck or hire
someone to take the stuff away?

We recently got our free bulk collection back, but only twice a year and
it was about 4 weeks ago, so it's not again for 5 months. Regular trash
won't take something anywhere near this big.

BTW, it's Sunday evening/night and they've been there since Saturday
morning .

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<96119cdb-c0e5-4f64-be74-c5d53efa7551n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30692&group=alt.home.repair#30692

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 04:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:39 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 3:21:34 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> NextDoor is a swamp, that sucks you in like quicksand is alleged to do.
>
> Tonight someone complained that two couches are on the grass between the
> sidewalk and the curb, (This is a nice middle-class single family home
> n'hood). She says they should have been taken to the dump.
>
> She wanted to know how to contact the local HOA but people from elswhere
> joined in. Everyone joined in and said to call code enforcement and so
> forth. She doesn't know them so she's not willing to knock on teir
> door.
>
> She posted two pictures, she says they look raggedy. I say they look
> nice, (imitation) leather, and even if they are raggedy, they're plenty
> good enough for a poor person or someone just out of school to use.
>
> Acc. to etiquette how long is one allowed to let a 2-seater and a
> 3-seater sit on the grass before you have to rent a truck or hire
> someone to take the stuff away?
>
> We recently got our free bulk collection back, but only twice a year and
> it was about 4 weeks ago, so it's not again for 5 months. Regular trash
> won't take something anywhere near this big.
>

> BTW, it's Sunday evening/night and they've been there since Saturday
> morning .

Obviously that's going to vary by local jurisdiction, plus you've added in an HOA
which can also set whatever rules they choose. Here the township does bulk
pickup once a month on a given day and you're supposed to put items out just
before, I think the limit is the weekend before the pickup.

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<pzGTK.471368$BKL8.33919@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30696&group=alt.home.repair#30696

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:34:12 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:34 UTC

On 9/12/2022 3:21 AM, micky wrote:
> NextDoor is a swamp, that sucks you in like quicksand is alleged to do.
>
> Tonight someone complained that two couches are on the grass between the
> sidewalk and the curb, (This is a nice middle-class single family home
> n'hood). She says they should have been taken to the dump.

> BTW, it's Sunday evening/night and they've been there since Saturday
> morning .

Usually stuff like that will be picked up by the fairies on trash night
if it has some value, If in good shape and clean, Salvation Army may
take it

The HOA will get on them now.

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<4gmuhhpu72h4uotmpjfhdji61hh66nc6jg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30704&group=alt.home.repair#30704

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:18:25 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:18 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:34:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 9/12/2022 3:21 AM, micky wrote:
>> NextDoor is a swamp, that sucks you in like quicksand is alleged to do.
>>
>> Tonight someone complained that two couches are on the grass between the
>> sidewalk and the curb, (This is a nice middle-class single family home
>> n'hood). She says they should have been taken to the dump.
>
>> BTW, it's Sunday evening/night and they've been there since Saturday
>> morning .
>
>Usually stuff like that will be picked up by the fairies on trash night
>if it has some value, If in good shape and clean, Salvation Army may
>take it
>
>The HOA will get on them now.

Tnanks to both of you.

No one seemed to know the HOA contact.

AIUI the Salvation Army here won't take furniture esp. big heavy things
like these upholstered sofas, and they certainly donm't pick up.

He's not waiting for a scheduled bulk pickup, he's waiting until someone
sees them and wants them, or calls someone who wants them.

The first day they just say there, free to take, but the second day a
sign was added that says Free. IMO he had doubts that people would know
they were free.

So the question is how long ETIQUETTE, traditional but unspoken
standards between neighbors, allows the sofas to sit there before he
must borrow or rent a truck or hire a carter to remove them? A range
of times would be fine.

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<vGJTK.413048$iiS8.284494@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30708&group=alt.home.repair#30708

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:06:34 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:06 UTC

On 9/12/22 08:34, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/12/2022 3:21 AM, micky wrote:
>> NextDoor is a swamp, that sucks you in like quicksand is alleged to do.
>>
>> Tonight someone complained that two couches are on the grass between the
>> sidewalk and the curb, (This is a  nice middle-class single family home
>> n'hood).  She says they should have been taken to the dump.
>
>> BTW, it's Sunday evening/night and they've been there since Saturday
>> morning .
>
> Usually stuff like that will be picked up by the fairies on trash night
> if it has some value,  If in good shape and clean, Salvation Army may
> take it
>
> The HOA will get on them now.

About 10 years ago, a neighbor left an old big-screen TV
(rear-projection, with 3 CRTs) on the curb. it stayed there about a week
and a half before the trash truck picked it up. Now we have trucks with
mechanical arms that won't pick anything up unless it fits in a special
container.

104 days until the winter celebration (Sunday, December 25, 2022
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Life after death" is an obvious contradiction, unless you're really
into "dynamic redefinition". The "life" that exists afterward COULDN'T
be the same one that just ended irreversibly by "death".

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<i4vuhh9l319p8npg696q2r5hnhtaadn7f5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30709&group=alt.home.repair#30709

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:56:31 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:56 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:06:34 -0500, Mark Lloyd
<not.email@all.invalid> wrote:

>On 9/12/22 08:34, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/12/2022 3:21 AM, micky wrote:
>>> NextDoor is a swamp, that sucks you in like quicksand is alleged to do.
>>>
>>> Tonight someone complained that two couches are on the grass between the
>>> sidewalk and the curb, (This is a  nice middle-class single family home
>>> n'hood).  She says they should have been taken to the dump.
>>
>>> BTW, it's Sunday evening/night and they've been there since Saturday
>>> morning .
>>
>> Usually stuff like that will be picked up by the fairies on trash night
>> if it has some value,  If in good shape and clean, Salvation Army may
>> take it
>>
>> The HOA will get on them now.
>
>About 10 years ago, a neighbor left an old big-screen TV
>(rear-projection, with 3 CRTs) on the curb. it stayed there about a week
>and a half before the trash truck picked it up. Now we have trucks with
>mechanical arms that won't pick anything up unless it fits in a special
>container.

I went there this morning. Only knew the name of the HOA, but a ReMax
google hit outlined the borders. Only about 10 blocks long spread over
6 streets, and the sofas were on the 4th block.

Even nicer than I expected. The light made some reflections look like
damage. I thought the surface might be cracking into little squares,
stuck to the cloth backing, but the surface was in one piece. And 4
out of 5 seats are recliners.

The house is for sale and may be vacant by now, but I didnt' look in the
window.

The large one sells new for between 1000 and 2000. the small one
between 500 and 2000. So even now, these are worth $750 or more.
Maybe one small slit that can be repaired, or taped from behind.
I had one person who agreed with me last night, and 3 more this morning,
but there were 4 last night who were more vigorous in their disgust for
free furniture.

So I put an ad in the FREE section of Next Door, but I don't fault the
owners for not doing that. They had a sign that said Free.

And it just started to rain, but my experience in more than one case is
that these things can dry out and be fine.

I wonder how the thread would have gone if I'd only seen the very first
post, if I would have been able to show the other side of the coin, but
instead there were several others suggesting code enforcement etc. and
by that time, I'd lost my temper, couldn't be a mediator, only an
advocate.

I suspect the angry ones are first-time homeowners. My friend who went
to law school had a summer job in a court in Staten Island NY, and until
they built the Verrzaano Narrows Bridge in 1964 or so, Staten Island was
only accessible from NY by the ferry, still had farmland. After the
bridge, it got a lot of new houses and first-time homeowners, and they
acted like it. In one case, two next-door n'bors both had garages but
they shared a driveway. (not a road, but a regular driveway to the back
of the lot.) And one guy got mad at the other and built a fence on or
near the property line down the middle of the driveway, so the other guy
could not use it. :-)

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<3b677bf0-58d2-4853-9e75-95fa551b756fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30809&group=alt.home.repair#30809

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (TimR)
 by: TimR - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 15:01 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 2:56:40 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> I went there this morning. Only knew the name of the HOA, but a ReMax
> google hit outlined the borders. Only about 10 blocks long spread over
> 6 streets, and the sofas were on the 4th block.
>
> Even nicer than I expected. The light made some reflections look like
> damage. I thought the surface might be cracking into little squares,
> stuck to the cloth backing, but the surface was in one piece. And 4
> out of 5 seats are recliners.

Was there or was there not some spare change in the cushions?

Did you or did you not check? And then did you or did you not leave some small change, just to see if anyone else was going to check?

Enquiring minds.

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<0o27ih5dqppl38q8na1h2qdgun536of765@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30826&group=alt.home.repair#30826

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:33:53 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:33 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:01:14 -0700 (PDT), TimR
<timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 2:56:40 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
>> I went there this morning. Only knew the name of the HOA, but a ReMax
>> google hit outlined the borders. Only about 10 blocks long spread over
>> 6 streets, and the sofas were on the 4th block.
>>
>> Even nicer than I expected. The light made some reflections look like
>> damage. I thought the surface might be cracking into little squares,
>> stuck to the cloth backing, but the surface was in one piece. And 4
>> out of 5 seats are recliners.
>
>Was there or was there not some spare change in the cushions?

Good question. I'm short of money right now and I shoudl have checked.

>Did you or did you not check? And then did you or did you not leave some small change, just to see if anyone else was going to check?

That would have been hard.

I actually never checked if the recliners reclined, but I think the odds
that all 4 are bad are very slim, and to fix one there is access to the
mechanism from undernaath, right?

Put an add on CraigList two nights ago.

Didn't go yesterday, but went this afternoon and they are gone, so 5
days from first appearance, well within what one friend says is
acceptable.

Probably went to a guy who monitors CL to resell free things. That's
good. I hate waste.

>Enquiring minds.

That's good. If you don't ask questions, you'll never learn the
answers.

Re: How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?

<20220918213510@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=30928&group=alt.home.repair#30928

From: rogbl...@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:37:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:37 UTC

On 2022-09-12, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> Tonight someone complained that two couches are on the grass between the
> sidewalk and the curb, (This is a nice middle-class single family home
> n'hood). She says they should have been taken to the dump.

In most places roving Puerto Ricans driving beat-up old pickup trucks
will quickly pick up stuff like that. Is that in some kind of gated
community where such riff-raff are kept you?

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
There is no "climate crisis" -- https://climatedepot.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

interests / alt.home.repair / How long can ou leave furniture on the curb?