Everything takes longer, costs more, and is less useful. -- Erwin Tomash

interests / alt.home.repair / Political divide

SubjectAuthor
* Political divideEd Pawlowski
+* Political dividemicky
|+- Political dividemicky
|`* Political divideJim Joyce
| `- Political dividemicky
+* Political dividerbowman
|`* Political divideT
| `- Political dividerbowman
+* Political divideJamesy
|+* Political divideEd Pawlowski
||`- Political divideJamesy
|`* Political dividemicky
| `* Political divideJamesy
|  `* Political divideBob F
|   `* Political divideJamesy
|    +- Political dividemicky
|    +* Political dividerbowman
|    |`- Political divideJamesy
|    `* Political dividemicky
|     `- Political divideJamesy
`- Political divideT

1
Political divide

<nMzLK.82657$mY1.78736@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29458&group=alt.home.repair#29458

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Subject: Political divide
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 19:17:37 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 23:17 UTC

Watched NBC news tonight. On one segment they showed a survey that 46%
of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
presidential candidate opposite theirs.

53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.

Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
handled.

Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we can't
get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day.
Political advertising is getting worse. No one says the good they can
do, just the bad things their opponent stands for.

Politics aside, we have to work together and live together. I have to
wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled for
the political party of your choice. Don't want to pay the clerk if they
are support the opposing party.

Re: Political divide

<kfltfht01afgdjvgddbsgh41fs8m0g24ki@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29461&group=alt.home.repair#29461

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Political divide
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:02:32 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 01:02 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 19:17:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>Watched NBC news tonight. On one segment they showed a survey that 46%
>of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
>presidential candidate opposite theirs.

I can believe it. I woudln't have felt that way when I was in college,
but if I could go to college again, especially if I could date college
girls, I wouldn't want to room with someone who voted for the former
guy. Of course almost no one could vote when I was in college!

My first year, the roommate they gave me was a lot like me if you
looked at simple facts. We share one rooom with two single beds, a
space about 4 feet wide in between, two desks, two closets. We got
along fine.

Once he told me how much his mother cared for him, and once he had belly
pains and she got him to the doctor first thing in the morning and he
had an appendectomy less than an hour later. He was proud of her. I
didn't say anything but my mother would not have waited until morning.

My second year, I joined a fraternity. They were not big at the U. of
Chicago, but I found out I wasn't iirc entitled to thirds on vegetables
at the dorm, only bread and butter, and the meals were nice at the
fraternity and they had a piano.
The roommate they assigned me was a year or two ahead of me, from St.
Peter, Minnesota (pop. 12,000, then 8400) or a farm nearby. After he
graduated, he probably could have gone to grad school like so many did,
but he enlisted, in the marines maybe, went to VNam, and I think he
ended up as a drill instructor. I didn't see him after he graduated
but I respected all that he did, even though I didn't enlist. He might
also have been a Republican. I respected them then.

That roommmate, Don, listened to classical music, esp. mahler, and put
a speaker in the wall between the closet aned the room. He also built a
transmitter that would jam the radio of the guy across the hall. When
the guy would change stations, Don would retune the jammer to the new
frequency. At least once in a while.

Off topic, otoh another fraternity brother wanted me to break into the
Oriental Institute with him. (The Oriental Instute had a museum from the
archaeological trips Egyptologists for the U. had made to Egypt) He'd
unlocked a window behind a curtain so with a ladder to reach the window,
it would be pretty easy to get in. I wanted to know if he promised to
return whatever he took. I'm lucky he wouldn't promise, because I was
so stupid in those days, I might have agreed to it. He did it without me
(alone, I think) and stole an Egyptian death mask from the time of the
pyramids. He left it in the girl's dorm, in front of the room of a girl
he had a crush on.

She called the campus police and returned it. I dont' think it was
damaged. She did not swoon for him.

>53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.

Not surprised it's higher. Roommates are only for a year or two. Wives
are forever. (though in Brooklyn NY, I had the same two roommates for
iirc 4 years. I thought we'd be friends forever, and one of them
invited me to move with him when he moved to Queens. I diddn't want to
go to Queens. But when he moved 5 months later, it was only to Park
Slope, which is a lot closer and I might have liked, but he didn't
invite me or even tell me. He rented the new place before he gave up my
place, so he'd have two places and time to paint etc. for a month. I
found a replacement, a girl, who would wait until the end of September,
but preferred to move in earlier. I told my roommate that and that I'd
pro-rate that month's rent if he wanted to move out early. He said, "If
I find anything or anybody in my room before the month is over, I'll
break it or her." He wouldn't tell me why he was angry.

Later I found out that the two of them, who also roomed together the
year before they moved in with me, a total of 5 or maybe 4 years, were
not talking to each other for months. When one would enter the kitchen,
the other would leave. I never noticed. (they both had family nearby,
one in the Bronx, the other New Jerseay, so they would leave Friday
morning and not come back until Monday evening. Great for me, company
someitmes, privacy on long weekends.)

When things were going well with us, he also had said that after he
married, he planned to spend a lot of time at the office, not at home.
Although afaik he didn't have any dates during the 4 years he lived with
me, except one I know of. The Forensic Law instuctor, Dominick DiMaio,
Acting Medical Examiner of NYC (later no longer "acting") arranged for
students who wanted to go to an autopsy. My roommate brought a date.
She brought perfume and said to wet a hankerchief with it and hold it to
one's nose. A darn good idea. (I went too, but when I saw it was a
young man with a knife wound in his side, I left. I'd been to an autopsy
once before, of an old woman who died of natural causes (if you include
smoking) and once is enough. Once is more than enough.)

>Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
>leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
>handled.

I hear they are trying to downplay slavery and to instill fundamentalist
Christianity into the Florida public schoool curriculum. It starts
next year but they are having warm-up instruction of teachers this
summer.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2022/06/29/florida-teachers-raise-concerns-about-new-civics-training-say-it-downplays-slavery-promotes-originalism/
Florida teachers raise concerns about new civics training, say it
downplays slavery, promotes originalism
"Those new standards are now being taught to thousands of teachers
across the state during 10 voluntary three-day conferences where
teachers also get a $700 stipend for attending and the possibility of a
$3,000 bonus."

https://www.businessinsider.com/floridas-new-training-teachers-undermines-separation-of-church-state-2022-7
Florida offers new training for teachers that says it was a
'misconception' that 'the Founders desired strict separation of church
and state'

>Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we can't
>get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day.
>Political advertising is getting worse. No one says the good they can
>do, just the bad things their opponent stands for.

I don't watch much of that. Maybe because I only watch MeTV and
Antenna TV. But I believe you.

>Politics aside, we have to work together and live together. I have to
>wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled for
>the political party of your choice. Don't want to pay the clerk if they
>are support the opposing party.

Good point.

I think my n'hood is heavily Democratic. And more than half of the
people at the supermarket are still wearing masks.

Re: Political divide

<5oqtfhhcppa5ue6608hjc50nbnn9f8trc5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29463&group=alt.home.repair#29463

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:44:54 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 01:44 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:02:32 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I told my roommate that and that I'd
>pro-rate that month's rent if he wanted to move out early. He said, "If
>I find anything or anybody in my room before the month is over, I'll
>break it or her." He wouldn't tell me why he was angry.

In fact he said he wasn't angry. He sounded angry to me.

Re: Political divide

<jm8cosFk958U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29464&group=alt.home.repair#29464

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:01:44 -0600
 by: rbowman - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 03:01 UTC

On 08/18/2022 05:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Watched NBC news tonight. On one segment they showed a survey that 46%
> of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
> presidential candidate opposite theirs.
>
> 53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.
>
> Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
> leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
> handled.
>
> Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we can't
> get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day. Political
> advertising is getting worse. No one says the good they can do, just
> the bad things their opponent stands for.
>
> Politics aside, we have to work together and live together. I have to
> wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled for
> the political party of your choice. Don't want to pay the clerk if they
> are support the opposing party.

Except for a couple of people that I am in agreement with I do not
discuss politics, including sexual preferences, with people I work with,
and I don't have interactions with random people outside of work. I even
avoid politics when talking with my ex in an effort to keep her blood
pressure under control. She would be happy if the mayor of NYC and the
governor of NY were staked out on an anthill someplace.

Re: Political divide

<op.1q4rjyuxyyuf6w@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29472&group=alt.home.repair#29472

From: jkl...@gmail.com (Jamesy)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:17:48 +1000
 by: Jamesy - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 04:17 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:17:37 +1000, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> Watched NBC news tonight. On one segment they showed a survey that 46%
> of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
> presidential candidate opposite theirs.
>
> 53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.
>
> Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
> leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
> handled.

Considering isn't the same thing as actually leaving.

> Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we can't
> get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day.

Don't buy that compared with the 60's and Vietnam etc.

> Political advertising is getting worse. No one says the good they can
> do, just the bad things their opponent stands for.

It has always been like that.

> Politics aside, we have to work together and live together. I have to
> wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled for
> the political party of your choice. Don't want to pay the clerk if they
> are support the opposing party.

That's silly.

Re: Political divide

<ca4ufh9eo7hiu9v8oamjhp0co8cf3mehoq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29474&group=alt.home.repair#29474

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 23:30:56 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 04:30 UTC

wrote:

>My first year, the roommate they gave me was a lot like me if you
>looked at simple facts. We share one rooom with two single beds, a
>space about 4 feet wide in between, two desks, two closets. We got
>along fine.
>
>Once he told me how much his mother cared for him, and once he had belly
>pains and she got him to the doctor first thing in the morning and he
>had an appendectomy less than an hour later. He was proud of her. I
>didn't say anything but my mother would not have waited until morning.

It strikes me as strange that he was apparently old enough to attend
college but young enough that he was unable to get himself to a doctor.

Re: Political divide

<frELK.89971$iR.53641@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29475&group=alt.home.repair#29475

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 00:36:25 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 04:36 UTC

On 8/19/2022 12:17 AM, Jamesy wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:17:37 +1000, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> Watched NBC news tonight.  On one segment they showed a survey that
>> 46% of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
>> presidential candidate  opposite theirs.
>>
>> 53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.
>>
>> Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
>> leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
>> handled.
>
> Considering isn't the same thing as actually leaving.

True, but many have left and not just Texas. Florida is short 6000
teachers right now.

>> Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we
>> can't get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day.
>
> Don't buy that compared with the 60's and Vietnam etc.

Far worse today than I remember in the 60s. Internet makes it easy to
be an asshole and get people cranked up. Just look at this group.

>> Political advertising is getting worse.  No one says the good they can
>> do, just the bad things their opponent stands for.
>
> It has always been like that.

Getting worse.

>> Politics aside, we have to work together and live together.  I have to
>> wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled
>> for the political party of your choice.  Don't want to pay the clerk
>> if they are support the opposing party.
>
> That's silly.

It was meant to be. Thanks for noticing.

Re: Political divide

<op.1q4t7xweyyuf6w@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29478&group=alt.home.repair#29478

From: jkl...@gmail.com (Jamesy)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:15:23 +1000
 by: Jamesy - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 05:15 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:36:25 +1000, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> On 8/19/2022 12:17 AM, Jamesy wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:17:37 +1000, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Watched NBC news tonight. On one segment they showed a survey that
>>> 46% of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
>>> presidential candidate opposite theirs.
>>>
>>> 53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.
>>>
>>> Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
>>> leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
>>> handled.
>> Considering isn't the same thing as actually leaving.
>
> True, but many have left and not just Texas. Florida is short 6000
> teachers right now.

But it is less clear how much of that is due to political
reasons and how things are being handled.

>>> Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we
>>> can't get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day.
>> Don't buy that compared with the 60's and Vietnam etc.
>
> Far worse today than I remember in the 60s. Internet makes it easy to
> be an asshole and get people cranked up. Just look at this group.

But both are a tiny part of reality.

Lets not forget the Democrat convention in Chicago in the 60s
when hyperventilating about the storming of the Capitol recently.
And the civil war.

>>> Political advertising is getting worse. No one says the good they can
>>> do, just the bad things their opponent stands for.
>> It has always been like that.
>
> Getting worse.

Don't believe that. Read Shirer's first memoir volume.

>>> Politics aside, we have to work together and live together. I have to
>>> wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled
>>> for the political party of your choice. Don't want to pay the clerk
>>> if they are support the opposing party.
>> That's silly.
>
> It was meant to be. Thanks for noticing.

Re: Political divide

<vi9ufh1acuq1pjlgq3fdf0en5635uol5di@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29480&group=alt.home.repair#29480

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 01:58:03 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 05:58 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 23:30:56 -0500, Jim Joyce
<none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:02:32 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My first year, the roommate they gave me was a lot like me if you
>>looked at simple facts. We share one rooom with two single beds, a
>>space about 4 feet wide in between, two desks, two closets. We got
>>along fine.
>>
>>Once he told me how much his mother cared for him, and once he had belly
>>pains and she got him to the doctor first thing in the morning and he
>>had an appendectomy less than an hour later. He was proud of her. I
>>didn't say anything but my mother would not have waited until morning.
>
>It strikes me as strange that he was apparently old enough to attend
>college but young enough that he was unable to get himself to a doctor.

Yes, it was amazing.

Re: Political divide

<8n9ufh97mnja5m9lk7tpajrmfim5rlnh85@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29481&group=alt.home.repair#29481

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 02:05:55 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 06:05 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:17:48 +1000, Jamesy
<jkl876@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:17:37 +1000, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> Watched NBC news tonight. On one segment they showed a survey that 46%
>> of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
>> presidential candidate opposite theirs.
>>
>> 53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.
>>
>> Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
>> leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
>> handled.
>
>Considering isn't the same thing as actually leaving.

Of course not, but "considering" is one measure and I doubt it was ever
70% before.

>> Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we can't
>> get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day.
>
>Don't buy that compared with the 60's and Vietnam etc.

I was around in the 60's and in several ways this is worse. I can't
think of any way in which the 60's were worse. I lived in Chicago in
1968. One riot at the Democratic convention doesn't compare to assorted
problems all across the US now.

>> Political advertising is getting worse. No one says the good they can
>> do, just the bad things their opponent stands for.
>
>It has always been like that.

No.

>> Politics aside, we have to work together and live together. I have to
>> wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled for
>> the political party of your choice. Don't want to pay the clerk if they
>> are support the opposing party.
>
>That's silly.

What Ed said.

I think, as you seem to, that we'll get past this, but it's not
guaranteeed. It will take a lot of work on the part of those who are
both sane and not malevolent.

Re: Political divide

<op.1q4w5guhyyuf6w@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29483&group=alt.home.repair#29483

From: jkl...@gmail.com (Jamesy)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:18:42 +1000
 by: Jamesy - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 06:18 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:05:55 +1000, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:17:48 +1000, Jamesy
> <jkl876@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:17:37 +1000, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Watched NBC news tonight. On one segment they showed a survey that 46%
>>> of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
>>> presidential candidate opposite theirs.
>>>
>>> 53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.
>>>
>>> Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
>>> leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
>>> handled.
>>
>> Considering isn't the same thing as actually leaving.
>
> Of course not, but "considering" is one measure and I doubt it was ever
> 70% before.
>>
>>> Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we can't
>>> get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day.
>>
>> Don't buy that compared with the 60's and Vietnam etc.
>
> I was around in the 60's and in several ways this is worse. I can't
> think of any way in which the 60's were worse. I lived in Chicago in
> 1968. One riot at the Democratic convention doesn't compare to assorted
> problems all across the US now.
>
>>> Political advertising is getting worse. No one says the good they can
>>> do, just the bad things their opponent stands for.
>>
>> It has always been like that.
>
> No.
>
>>> Politics aside, we have to work together and live together. I have to
>>> wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled
>>> for
>>> the political party of your choice. Don't want to pay the clerk if
>>> they
>>> are support the opposing party.
>>
>> That's silly.
>
> What Ed said.
>
> I think, as you seem to, that we'll get past this, but it's not
> guaranteeed.

Yes it is guaranteed. Even if Trump does get another
term, he can't have a third one and even tho he has
certainly managed to hijack the Repugs, that can't
last forever, just like the Tea Party clowns never did.

The system is VERY robust and even managed to survive
a full civil war.

> It will take a lot of work on the part of those who are
> both sane and not malevolent.

Nope, just wait till Trump is irrelevant.

Re: Political divide

<tdo656$1h33v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29494&group=alt.home.repair#29494

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 07:20:13 -0700
 by: Bob F - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:20 UTC

On 8/18/2022 11:18 PM, Jamesy wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:05:55 +1000, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:17:48 +1000, Jamesy
>> <jkl876@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Considering isn't the same thing as actually leaving.
>>
>> Of course not, but "considering" is one measure and I doubt it was ever
>> 70% before.

>>> Don't buy that compared with the 60's and Vietnam etc.
>>
>> I was around in the 60's and in several ways this is worse.  I can't
>> think of any way in which the 60's were worse.  I lived in Chicago in
>> 1968.  One riot at the Democratic convention doesn't compare to assorted
>> problems all across the US now.

>>> It has always been like that.
>>
>> No.

>>> That's silly.
>>
>> What Ed said.
>>
>> I think, as you seem to, that we'll get past this, but it's not
>> guaranteeed.
>
> Yes it is guaranteed. Even if Trump does get another
> term, he can't have a third one and even tho he has
> certainly managed to hijack the Repugs, that can't
> last forever, just like the Tea Party clowns never did.
>
> The system is VERY robust and even managed to survive
> a full civil war.
>
>> It will take a lot of work on the part of those who are
>> both sane and not malevolent.
>
> Nope, just wait till Trump is irrelevant.

Just don't make us wait long. America cannot survive that.

Re: Political divide

<tdobcl$1i39f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29499&group=alt.home.repair#29499

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:48:35 -0700
 by: T - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:48 UTC

On 8/18/22 20:01, rbowman wrote:
> I even avoid politics when talking with my ex in an effort to keep her
> blood pressure under control. She would be happy if the mayor of NYC and
> the governor of NY were staked out on an anthill someplace.
Not seeing your problem here. Am I missing something?
:-)
You should have put the toilet seat down.

Re: Political divide

<op.1q5ut509yyuf6w@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29506&group=alt.home.repair#29506

From: jkl...@gmail.com (Jamesy)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 04:26:19 +1000
 by: Jamesy - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:26 UTC

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:20:13 +1000, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/18/2022 11:18 PM, Jamesy wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:05:55 +1000, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Of course not, but "considering" is one measure and I doubt it was ever
>>> 70% before.

>>> I was around in the 60's and in several ways this is worse. I can't
>>> think of any way in which the 60's were worse. I lived in Chicago in
>>> 1968. One riot at the Democratic convention doesn't compare to
>>> assorted
>>> problems all across the US now.

>>> No.

>>> What Ed said.
>>>
>>> I think, as you seem to, that we'll get past this, but it's not
>>> guaranteeed.
>> Yes it is guaranteed. Even if Trump does get another
>> term, he can't have a third one and even tho he has
>> certainly managed to hijack the Repugs, that can't
>> last forever, just like the Tea Party clowns never did.
>> The system is VERY robust and even managed to survive
>> a full civil war.
>>
>>> It will take a lot of work on the part of those who are
>>> both sane and not malevolent.
>> Nope, just wait till Trump is irrelevant.
>
> Just don't make us wait long. America cannot survive that.

Of course it can, it survived even a full civil war, one
of the worst any modern first world country has had.

And survived the putting down of the Bonus Army
and Boss Tweed etc too.

Re: Political divide

<f3tvfh5ce36aa8f913lr391qarqfoaj3ob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29513&group=alt.home.repair#29513

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:37:21 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:37 UTC

Re: Political divide

<jmaon6F1as8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29523&group=alt.home.repair#29523

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:37:54 -0600
 by: rbowman - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:37 UTC

On 08/19/2022 09:48 AM, T wrote:
> On 8/18/22 20:01, rbowman wrote:
>> I even avoid politics when talking with my ex in an effort to keep her
>> blood pressure under control. She would be happy if the mayor of NYC
>> and the governor of NY were staked out on an anthill someplace.
>
> Not seeing your problem here. Am I missing something?
>
> :-)
>
> You should have put the toilet seat down.

No, we were always on the same page politically. She was one of the
three or four people in NYC who listened to Rush. It's just not nice to
get an old woman all excited about things beyond her control.

I left NYS in '71 and never looked back but her career eventually took
her to Columbia and she was too rooted when she retired to beat feet.

Re: Political divide

<jmaovlF1c68U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29524&group=alt.home.repair#29524

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:42:25 -0600
 by: rbowman - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:42 UTC

On 08/19/2022 12:26 PM, Jamesy wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:20:13 +1000, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/18/2022 11:18 PM, Jamesy wrote:

>>> Yes it is guaranteed. Even if Trump does get another
>>> term, he can't have a third one and even tho he has
>>> certainly managed to hijack the Repugs, that can't
>>> last forever, just like the Tea Party clowns never did.
>>> The system is VERY robust and even managed to survive
>>> a full civil war.

>>> Nope, just wait till Trump is irrelevant.
>>
>> Just don't make us wait long. America cannot survive that.
>
> Of course it can, it survived even a full civil war, one
> of the worst any modern first world country has had.
>
> And survived the putting down of the Bonus Army
> and Boss Tweed etc too.

Yeah, and the heroes of charging the Bonus Army, MacArthur, Patton, and
Eisenhower went on to bigger and better things.

I'm sure the citizens of Rome said 'we survived a civil war. No
problem.' Of course Rome went out with more of a whimper.

Re: Political divide

<op.1q6vk6skyyuf6w@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29530&group=alt.home.repair#29530

From: jkl...@gmail.com (Jamesy)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 17:40:08 +1000
 by: Jamesy - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 07:40 UTC

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 10:42:25 +1000, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:

> On 08/19/2022 12:26 PM, Jamesy wrote:

>>> Just don't make us wait long. America cannot survive that.
>>
>> Of course it can, it survived even a full civil war, one
>> of the worst any modern first world country has had.
>>
>> And survived the putting down of the Bonus Army
>> and Boss Tweed etc too.
>
> Yeah, and the heroes of charging the Bonus Army, MacArthur, Patton, and
> Eisenhower went on to bigger and better things.
>
> I'm sure the citizens of Rome said 'we survived a civil war. No
> problem.' Of course Rome went out with more of a whimper.

The USA won't be going out any century soon.
Even Spain, Portugal, Netherlands haven't.

Re: Political divide

<tdq5um$1rbar$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29533&group=alt.home.repair#29533

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 01:28:05 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:28 UTC

On 8/18/22 16:17, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Watched NBC news tonight.  On one segment they showed a survey that 46%
> of college students would no choose a roommate that voted for the
> presidential candidate  opposite theirs.
>
> 53% said they would not date a person for the same reason.
Marrying someone outside your religion and/or your
political viewpoint is a recipe for disaster. That
statement is a total Duhhhh. Even worse than leaving the
toilet seat up! And I do not believe the poll.

> Another report said 70% of the teachers in Texas were considering
> leaving the profession for political reasons and how things are being
> handled.
Good riddance! A lot of publik skool teachers are terrible.
Privatize their asses! I do not believe the poll by the way.

Hi Ed,
This is what you get for listening to American Pravda.
https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2022/08/918/516/cartoon-080122-copy.jpg
You really trust anything that comes out of those
propagandists' mouths?
v Pravde net izvestiy, v Izvestiyakh net pravdy
These poll are design to force a particular result.
If I was to posit a guess, it was some insecure
wokie would go this feelings hurt because someone/everyone
did not agree with him and he could not find a space
space to his liking.

> Easy here to take a stance with your keyboard but sad that IRL we can't
> get along any more and it seems to be betting worse every day. Political
> advertising is getting worse.
I do not see much of a difference. "I am a saint; the
other guy is the devil." No change. I do not
listen to them, even the side I like. Not much
different than it always was.
For instance:
1:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k
0:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdeyMNZW88
> No one says the good they can do,
That all depends on if you listen to American Pravda.
You only here one side from the propagandists.
You want a list from someone who will to tell you exactly
what he wants to do, here goes:
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-rally-promises-white-house-return-2022-7
But you won't get that from American Pravda. They
will call him a racists though.

> just
> the bad things their opponent stands for.
Negative ads are disgusting.
The positive add can be too. They obfuscate a lot,
unless you are Trump, which is why so many both
like and hate him.
Ya, do it for the children. Do what for the
children? I am against inflation. Ya, what are
you going to do about it? They are about as
helpful as a trap door on a canoe.
And I am getting tired of my phone ringing 24/7
during election season.

> Politics aside, we have to work together and live together.  I have to
> wonder if the checkout lines at the supermarket will soon be labeled for
> the political party of your choice.  Don't want to pay the clerk if they
> are support the opposing party.
The open exchange of information and idea is necessary
to maintain the health of a representatives republic.
I have not seen any change in the civility in politics EXCEPT
from your side (extreme left wing, A.K.A. Wokies). You have
your cancel culture, your safe spaces, your blacklists, etc..
You think nothing of destroying someone livelihood if
they dare to disagree with the "most tolerant people
on the face of the earth".
Are you old enough to remember old school liberals
touting "I may not agree with what you said, but I
will defend your right to say it"?
Not any more. The rest of us, yes. But not Wokies.
The narrative is the truth and how dare you disagree
and get ready to get "cancelled". Wokies are
totalitarian. The free exchange of ideas and information
is not in their lexicon.
Oh, and calling the rest of us racists and Nazis
because we disagree with you does not win you
any points either, especially when you look and
see who actually follows Nazi doctrine and who
are the real flaming racists. Oh ya, Blacks
are too stupid to show ID to vote. No insult
there.
So, if shipping all wokies off to North Korea or
create a YUGE glass dome over San Francisco and
sticking whatever remaining wokies you can find
inside it is not an options, what to do?
Well, you develop "scripts" on how to keep the
peace with wokies / narrative believers.
This is a 7:38 tutorial on how to do that:
How to Get Along With Narrative Believers - NARRATIVE SCRIPTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4n4n1i7dUY
Here is another tutorial on how to get along with
people you disagree with:
How to Get Along With People You DISAGREE With
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqKwHLJhVzQ
I personally do not think this will get any better
until old school liberals kick the wokies out of
their movement. (It would be hysterical if CPUSA
kicked them out too as being too left wing even
for them.)
There are signs of it. Every so often Bill Mahr
will risk going against the narrative. And You
have got to love Tulsi Gabbard. Now there is
an old school liberal! With love and understanding,
you could be next, Ed.
-T
I would like to see the return of Lincoln Douglas
style debates.

Re: Political divide

<oj02ghtukp5eug6g958jrck9qq2od6r0ka@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29537&group=alt.home.repair#29537

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 12:02:54 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 16:02 UTC

<jkl876@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:20:13 +1000, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/18/2022 11:18 PM, Jamesy wrote:

>>> Yes it is guaranteed.

Wow. Nothing in life is guaranteed and especially not this.

>>> Even if Trump does get another
>>> term, he can't have a third one and even tho he has
>>> certainly managed to hijack the Repugs, that can't
>>> last forever, just like the Tea Party clowns never did.
>>> The system is VERY robust and even managed to survive
>>> a full civil war.

>>> Nope, just wait till Trump is irrelevant.

Trump is no longer the only issue.

They are out there lying about the 8,500 or 85,000 new** IRS employees,
claiming they are going to audit middle income, claiming they will show
up with AR-15's at your business. (they stole the AR-15 part from raids
on drug dealers). Lying about the FBI and then conflating those lies
with the IRS.

**Over 10 years, mostly to replace t hose who retire, and to start
auditing high income people, that some Republican president (trump?)
stopped auditing.

The Sec. of states likely to be elected this fall who claim 2020 was
stolen and who may well plan to steal it back next time.

And lots of other things.

>> Just don't make us wait long. America cannot survive that.
>
>Of course it can, it survived even a full civil war, one
>of the worst any modern first world country has had.

Well, I sure hope it doesn't get that bad. The damage was enormous, the
number of deaths was enormous. The residue is still with us, hurting
us. And we only survived as one country because Lincoln was
determined.

>And survived the putting down of the Bonus Army
>and Boss Tweed etc too.

Boss Tweed was local and I don't see the Bonus Army as that big. They
were poor people and poor people often get stomped on.

And we only survived the Depression because of Roosevelt and the New
Deal.

Who knows if there will be someone like Lincoln or Roosevelt this time.
And this is no discredit to Biden. We're not at the stage yet where
someone like Lincoln or Roosevelt is needed.

I appreciate your faith in the American government. I hope you're
right. But wadr it sounds like grammer-school history class.

Re: Political divide

<op.1q7lmxp9yyuf6w@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=29545&group=alt.home.repair#29545

From: jkl...@gmail.com (Jamesy)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 03:02:47 +1000
 by: Jamesy - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 17:02 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 02:02:54 +1000, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Aug 2022 04:26:19 +1000, Jamesy
> <jkl876@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow. Nothing in life is guaranteed

It is absolutely guaranteed that everyone will die sometime.

> and especially not this.

The USA managed to survive a full civil war, the great depression,
two world wars and will survive this too, you watch.

> Trump is no longer the only issue.

It never was.

> They are out there lying about the 8,500 or 85,000 new** IRS employees,
> claiming they are going to audit middle income, claiming they will show
> up with AR-15's at your business. (they stole the AR-15 part from raids
> on drug dealers). Lying about the FBI and then conflating those lies
> with the IRS.

There are always some fools running some stupid line.

> **Over 10 years, mostly to replace t hose who retire, and to start
> auditing high income people, that some Republican president (trump?)
> stopped auditing.
>
> The Sec. of states likely to be elected this fall who claim 2020 was
> stolen and who may well plan to steal it back next time.
>
> And lots of other things.

The USA survived the Black Panthers, Simbionese LIberation
Army, Koresh etc etc etc, the storming of the Capitol and will
survive those fools too, you watch.

Even if they had killed all the congress critters who were
in the Capitol building, they would have been arrested
and the congress critters would have been replaced.

>>> Just don't make us wait long. America cannot survive that.
>>
>> Of course it can, it survived even a full civil war, one
>> of the worst any modern first world country has had.
>
> Well, I sure hope it doesn't get that bad. The damage was enormous, the
> number of deaths was enormous. The residue is still with us, hurting
> us. And we only survived as one country because Lincoln was
> determined.

No, because the system is robust enough to survive that.

>> And survived the putting down of the Bonus Army
>> and Boss Tweed etc too.
>
> Boss Tweed was local and I don't see the Bonus Army as that big. They
> were poor people and poor people often get stomped on.

> And we only survived the Depression because of Roosevelt and the New
> Deal.

Thats wrong too, pleny of other first world countries survived it too.

> Who knows if there will be someone like Lincoln or Roosevelt this time.

Doesn't need that. The system is robust enough to survive it fine.

> And this is no discredit to Biden. We're not at the stage yet where
> someone like Lincoln or Roosevelt is needed.

So no need to hyperventilate.

> I appreciate your faith in the American government. I hope you're
> right. But wadr it sounds like grammer-school history class.

Then you need a new hearing aid, BAD.

interests / alt.home.repair / Political divide