From: bobu...@mindspring.com (bob user)
Newsgroups: alt.politics.elections,sac.politics,alt.politics.republicans,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Why New York Police Released the Man Who Tried To Stab a Jewish Republican
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 01:49:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob user - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 01:49 UTC

A New York man was released from jail without bail hours after he tried to
stab Rep. Lee Zeldin (R., N.Y.), a foregone conclusion because of a bail
reform law passed in 2019.

The Monroe County Sheriff's Office in Rochester, N.Y., charged David
Jakubonis with attempted second-degree assault and released him before his
trial, according to a Thursday press release. Jakubonis, an Iraq war
veteran who was inebriated, used a small weapon with two sharp prongs to
assault Zeldin, telling the representative, "You're done," when he swung
at him during a campaign speech for veterans in Perinton.

"After being charged with a felony for last night�s attack, the man who
tried to stab me was instantly released back onto the street due to New
York�s insane cashless bail law," Zeldin told the Washington Free Beacon.
"Too many people throughout our state have suffered violent attacks and
even death, as a result of criminals who were allowed to walk free because
of soft-on-crime bail policy. We must repeal cashless bail in New York!"

Attempted assault is a felony in New York, but criminal justice reform
legislation passed in 2019 bars judges from setting bail because the
charge is "nonviolent," the New York Times reported. Zeldin predicted his
assailant would be released shortly after the incident due to state law.

In another case in June, a New York City offender stabbed two Subway
passengers the day after he was released from jail for brandishing a knife
at police.

The attack comes as elected officials face increased threats of violence
in the United States. In 2017, a far-left gunman shot up a practice for
the Congressional Baseball Game in Washington, D.C., nearly killing House
Republican Whip Steve Scalise (La.). A left-wing group threatened this
year's upcoming game, warning of "serious consequences" if it doesn't get
its way.

Zeldin is running to unseat New York Democratic governor Kathy Hochul in
November. Members of Zeldin's campaign staff restrained Jakubonis until
law enforcement officers arrived and took the assailant into custody. The
congressman was uninjured.

Along with other U.S. states, New York saw crime rise over the past two
years. Zeldin's assault took place on the outskirts of the city of
Rochester, which set an all-time record for homicides in 2021. The FBI
reported the United States in 2020 had its largest ever annual homicide
increase, up 30 percent from 2019.

Zeldin is one of two Jewish Republicans in Congress. The Empire State had
a record number of assaults against Jews in 2021, as anti-Semitic
incidents have reached an all-time high nationwide, the Anti-Defamation
League reported in April.

Update 6:46 p.m.: This piece has been updated with a comment from Rep.
Zeldin.

Published under: Crime, Lee Zeldin, New York

https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/why-new-york-police-released-the-man-
who-tried-to-stab-jewish-republican/