From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: first tomatoes put up
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 07:55:43 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 11:55 UTC

picked yesterday morning and put them up last night
once it cooled off a bit outside.

i don't really much like the variety of tomatoes
we planted as they are texturally like store bought
tomatoes, they were hard and not much flavor. next
batch i will leave hanging on the plants a few more
days, but i don't think that's going to help that
much.

oh well, they'll get used no matter what, they can
always be adapted and adjusted for uses in recipes.

songbird

Re: first tomatoes put up

<sfun5p$8kv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289&group=rec.gardens.edible#289

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: first tomatoes put up
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 16:38:32 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 23:38 UTC

On 8/22/21 4:55 AM, songbird wrote:
> picked yesterday morning and put them up last night
> once it cooled off a bit outside.
>
> i don't really much like the variety of tomatoes
> we planted as they are texturally like store bought
> tomatoes, they were hard and not much flavor. next
> batch i will leave hanging on the plants a few more
> days, but i don't think that's going to help that
> much.
>
> oh well, they'll get used no matter what, they can
> always be adapted and adjusted for uses in recipes.
>

> songbird

Hi Songbird,

Chop then into a saute pan. Wait for them to condense
down. Add salt, garlic, and oregano.

Then add eggplant, zucchini, are whatever goes with
tomatoes. Top with shredded cheese.

Culinary heaven!

-T

Re: first tomatoes put up

<lmp5ig98vhssnrnlmiq3m59rlqanphsg4a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=290&group=rec.gardens.edible#290

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 20:10:21 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 00:10 UTC

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 16:38:32 -0700, T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 8/22/21 4:55 AM, songbird wrote:
>> picked yesterday morning and put them up last night
>> once it cooled off a bit outside.
>>
>> i don't really much like the variety of tomatoes
>> we planted as they are texturally like store bought
>> tomatoes, they were hard and not much flavor. next
>> batch i will leave hanging on the plants a few more
>> days, but i don't think that's going to help that
>> much.
>>
>> oh well, they'll get used no matter what, they can
>> always be adapted and adjusted for uses in recipes.
>>

>> songbird
>>

>Hi Songbird,
>
>Chop then into a saute pan. Wait for them to condense
>down. Add salt, garlic, and oregano.
>
>Then add eggplant, zucchini, are whatever goes with
>tomatoes. Top with shredded cheese.
>
>Culinary heaven!
>
>-T

My wife really likes her Italian tomato press :

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/kitchen/kitchen-tools/presses-and-mashers/food-processors/44040-european-tomato-press?item=EV101

https://tinyurl.com/fhy4dafk

John T.

Re: first tomatoes put up

<iuabvh-spe.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=291&group=rec.gardens.edible#291

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:41:06 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 01:41 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> My wife really likes her Italian tomato press :
>
> https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/kitchen/kitchen-tools/presses-and-mashers/food-processors/44040-european-tomato-press?item=EV101
>

> https://tinyurl.com/fhy4dafk

ugh! plastic, i don't buy plastic kitchen gadgets if i
can help it.

after scalding the tomatoes and removing the skins i cut
out the core and stem and then it is easy enough to cut
them into chunks and put those up. i don't mind seeds in
what i put up.

the only time i process tomatoes differently is when i'm
making juice, but in the case of juicing i don't remove
the skins at all, i just core them and chop them up and
then cook them down a while to make the food mill easier
to extract all the juice.

T i'm not talking about just a few tomatoes here, our
first picking was 26lbs. i hope we can get about 120
quarts this season from 12 plants aside from what we eat
or give away.

songbird

Re: first tomatoes put up

<sfv2kv$us8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=292&group=rec.gardens.edible#292

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 19:54:23 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 02:54 UTC

On 8/22/21 6:41 PM, songbird wrote:
> T i'm not talking about just a few tomatoes here, our
> first picking was 26lbs. i hope we can get about 120
> quarts this season from 12 plants aside from what we eat
> or give away.
>

> songbird

¡Ay, caramba!