From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Cukes + Tomatillos ??
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 19:38:53 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 02:38 UTC

Hi All,

I goofed and double planted Cucumber and Tomatillos
seeds in the same ground pot. Both came up. The
tomatillo towers over the cucumber.

Here is the weird part. Both of them are doing about
twice as good as the ground pots with only one or
the other in them.

????? Does these two like each other? Next year do
it on purpose?

-T

Re: Cukes + Tomatillos ??

<beq9vh-n32.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=287&group=rec.gardens.edible#287

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Cukes + Tomatillos ??
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 07:53:15 -0400
 by: songbird - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 11:53 UTC

T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I goofed and double planted Cucumber and Tomatillos
> seeds in the same ground pot. Both came up. The
> tomatillo towers over the cucumber.
>
> Here is the weird part. Both of them are doing about
> twice as good as the ground pots with only one or
> the other in them.
>
> ????? Does these two like each other? Next year do
> it on purpose?

it is quite possible that the cucumbers are providing
a cooler climate on the ground from the shade. sure
it is entirely possible. not having grown tomatillos
here i think they are pretty easy from what i've read.

and in the end, if you want that many and it works
i'd say keep on doing it. :)

i do know that growing cucumbers will attract more of
your native bee populations to your gardens and then they
will find more of your other garden plants to help
pollinate. native bees will help with tomatoes, squash
and others.

so all said, i see nothing to worry about here. :)

good job!

songbird