Subject: Re: Should we seal new wooden doors when swollen?
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11...@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:49:39 -0500
 by: Leon - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:49 UTC

On 6/10/2021 10:45 AM, Sandra Vaughan wrote:
> We live in Virginia and are having our house remodeled. New interior,
> solid wood cherry doors were installed before the summer humidity, but
> not yet stained/sealed,  Now that the summer is here they have all
> swollen and are sticking.
>
> Question - should we wait until the dry weather in september when the
> swelling should go down to have them sealed?  or should we adjust the
> frames now and seal them while they are swollen.

The remodeled should know what to do.

Regardless if you have sticking doors the door should probably be
adjusted, not the frame. Assuming you door frames were correctly
installed.

If only replacing the door and not the jams, trim the doors to fit and
seal/paint/stain.

Keep in mind that you should also seal the tops and bottoms of the doors
to reduce swelling.

Re: Should we seal new wooden doors when swollen?

<16875d3bfb01438d$1$1682696$4626d873@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2821&group=rec.woodworking#2821

From: b4400c2f...@example.com (Sandra Vaughan)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 23:45:02 +0000
 by: Sandra Vaughan - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 23:45 UTC

Thank you, Leon. Only 2 (of 10) new doors are sticking, so we will adjust the frames for those two.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/should-we-seal-new-wooden-doors-when-swollen-3124710-.htm

Re: Should we seal new wooden doors when swollen?

<s9uea2$1d84$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2823&group=rec.woodworking#2823

From: non...@none.net (dpb)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:29:39 -0500
 by: dpb - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 01:29 UTC

On 6/10/2021 6:45 PM, Sandra Vaughan wrote:
> Thank you, Leon.  Only 2 (of 10) new doors are sticking, so we will
> adjust the frames for those two.

How would you propose to do that for a (presumably) finished install
with casing and all?

That's going to be a treat, methinks. How you going to grow the header
length to widen the opening evenly without gaps appearing? Or, if you
just spread the bottom, then the opening isn't square and even and the
angles of the casing are out.

Get out the smoothing plane, sharpen it up well and take a few licks off
the edge, instead.

--

interests / rec.woodworking / Re: Should we seal new wooden doors when swollen?