Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,alt.law.enforcement,seattle.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: 101 police officers shot in line of duty, a 43% increase from 2021:
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:12:16 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:12 UTC

from
https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-officers-shot-2022

101 police officers shot in line of duty, a 43% increase from 2021:
National Fraternal Order of Police
The latest figure marks a 43% increase compared to 2021 and a 63%
increase compared to 2020
By Audrey Conklin | Fox News

Media's anti-police rhetoric is leading to violence: Retired NYPD officer
Fox News host and enterprise reporter Lawrence Jones discusses the
nationwide surging crime rates and the attitude toward law enforcement
with retired NYPD officer Scott Welsh.

Listen to this article
0:00 / 3:10
1X
BeyondWords

The National Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), the world's largest
organization of law enforcement officers, has counted 101 officers shot
in the line of duty as of April 1, including 17 fatally, so far in 2022.

The latest figure marks a 43% increase compared to the number of
officers shot at the same time period in 2021 and a 63% increase
compared to 2020, FOP reports.

"We are in the midst of a real crisis. The violence directed at law
enforcement officers is unlike anything I’ve seen in my 36 years of law
enforcement," National FOP President Patrick Yoes said in a Friday
statement. "Last year was one of the most dangerous years for law
enforcement, with more officers shot in the line of duty since the
National Fraternal Order of Police began recording this data."

He added that FOP's data so far in 2022 indicates that "we are outpacing
last year’s numbers of officers shot and killed in the line of duty."

THIRD SUSPECT ARRESTED IN TEXAS DEPUTY'S MURDER; GOV. GREG ABBOT CALLS
FOR DEATH PENALTY

"It is important to remember that when we look at these numbers, they
represent people who are fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters," he
said. "We must also be aware that the lethality of these attacks would
be much greater but for dramatic improvements in medical trauma science
and anti-ballistic technology."

New York Police officers gather outside St. Patrick's Cathedral for
Officer Wilbert Mora's funeral, Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, in New York.
New York Police officers gather outside St. Patrick's Cathedral for
Officer Wilbert Mora's funeral, Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, in New York.
(AP Photo/John Minchillo)

Of those 101 officers shot so far, 19 were shot in ambush-style attacks,
representing a 36% increase from 2021, according to FOP. Those 19 ambush
attacks resulted in 32 officers shot, five of whom were killed.

FORMER NYPD OFFICERS WARNS MEDIA'S ‘ANTI-POLICE RHETORIC’ HAS LED TO
VIOLENCE AGAINST COPS

In one example that captured the nation's attention in January, New York
Police Department Officer Wilbert Mora, a 27, and Detective Jason
Rivera, 22, were fatally shot while also responding to a domestic dispute.

Less than a month later, nine police officers were wounded during a Feb.
11 shootout in Phoenix while responding to a domestic dispute that
resulted in the deaths of a suspect and a female victim.

Phoenix Police Department releases footage of suspect ambushing,
shooting officerVideo
The five states with the highest number of officers killed so far this
year are: Arizona, Texas, New York, Georgia and Washington state.

"This violence is completely unacceptable," Yoes said. "It’s a stain on
our society, and it must end. It is incumbent upon our elected officials
and community leaders to stand up and speak out against the violence
against law enforcement officers."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In 2021 alone, the FOP counted a "historic" 346 officers shot in the
line of duty — 63 of whom were killed. That number was up from 312
officers shot in 2020, 47 of whom were killed, and 293 shot in 2019, 50
of whom were killed, according to an FOP analysis.

Last year, the five states with the highest numbers of officers shot in
the line of duty were Texas, Illinois, California, Georgia and Florida.

Audrey Conklin is a digital reporter for FOX Business and Fox News.
Email tips to audrey.conklin@fox.com or on Twitter at @audpants.

Sponsored Stories You May Like