Anybody with money to burn will easily find someone to tend the fire.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

SubjectAuthor
* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?pdubbzz
+* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?hgt
|`* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Clare Snyder
| +- Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?danny burstein
| `* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Mark Lloyd
|  +* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Retirednoguilt
|  |+* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Bob F
|  ||+- Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Mark Lloyd
|  ||`* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?micky
|  || `* Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Bob F
|  ||  `- Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?micky
|  |`- Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Mark Lloyd
|  `- Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?Snag
`- Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?John Doe

1
Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<16fbc1eaf036fdb0$1$1070657$4016de43@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26698&group=alt.home.repair#26698

From: 8175432f...@example.com (pdubbzz)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 04:15:02 +0000
 by: pdubbzz - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 04:15 UTC

its called ppl want land lines

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/recommend-cordless-phone-that-will-work-during-power-failure-370431-.htm

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<op.1oaxb4x9zn9mf0@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26699&group=alt.home.repair#26699

From: tf4...@nurk.com (hgt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000
 by: hgt - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 04:27 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:15:02 +1000, pdubbzz
<8175432fbb3f485b25251bbb73ebfc66@example.com> wrote:

> its called ppl want land lines

You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<p0cebhl8fqd8q92238vuhclmi6qvbe28ft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26716&group=alt.home.repair#26716

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:56:53 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:56 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt <tf44@nurk.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:15:02 +1000, pdubbzz
><8175432fbb3f485b25251bbb73ebfc66@example.com> wrote:
>
>> its called ppl want land lines
>
>You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.
And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<t97bfp$nu8$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26718&group=alt.home.repair#26718

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 16:00:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 16:00 UTC

In <p0cebhl8fqd8q92238vuhclmi6qvbe28ft@4ax.com> Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> writes:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt <tf44@nurk.com> wrote:

>>On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:15:02 +1000, pdubbzz
>><8175432fbb3f485b25251bbb73ebfc66@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> its called ppl want land lines
>>
>>You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.

> And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
>withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.

In Ye Olden Daize, as in 1995ish, Motorala had
a line of cordless phones which, they emphasized,
were actually made in the US (hence the name "America"
in the group), and..

and, for good measure, these actually included
battery backups in the base so yes, these could
be used in a power failure.

They also encrypted the radio link, which back then
was a Big Thing.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<SXItK.6578$BZ1.3790@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26725&group=alt.home.repair#26725

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:01:06 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 19:01 UTC

On 6/25/22 10:56, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt <tf44@nurk.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:15:02 +1000, pdubbzz
>> <8175432fbb3f485b25251bbb73ebfc66@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> its called ppl want land lines
>>
>> You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.
> And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
> withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.

My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
use speakerphone).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"People call it truth, religion; I call it insanity, the denial of death
as the basic truth of life. 'What is the meaning of life?' is a stupid
question." -- Jackie Mason

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<t99tp0$3upko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26749&group=alt.home.repair#26749

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:25:17 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:25 UTC

On 6/25/2022 3:01 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 6/25/22 10:56, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt <tf44@nurk.com> wrote:

>>> You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.
>>   And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
>> withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.
>
> My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
> failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
> handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
> use speakerphone).

I also have a Panasonic cordless phone. In the past (but not in the
past 6-7 years) when I had plain old copper wire analog phone service, I
never lost my dial tone during a power failure and the Panasonic power
failure feature worked as advertised. However, since the advent of
digital service, with "gateways" (modem + router in one box) that don't
even have a backup battery compartment, unless you have the gateway
plugged into a UPS, you'll lose service even if your wireless phone has
backup power. Actually, FWIW, Comcast has told me that in the event of
a power failure, even a UPS won't help me because their hardware that
runs between their central servers and my building will lose power as
well so there won't be any signal coming in to my gateway. Glad I have
a cell phone with a different carrier. At least they have emergency
power for their cell towers that should outlast a typical power outage.

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<t9a6bl$3vmnf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26755&group=alt.home.repair#26755

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:51:54 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 17:51 UTC

On 6/26/2022 8:25 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 6/25/2022 3:01 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>   And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
>>> withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.
>>
>> My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
>> failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
>> handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
>> use speakerphone).
>>

> I also have a Panasonic cordless phone.  In the past (but not in the
> past 6-7 years) when I had plain old copper wire analog phone service, I
> never lost my dial tone during a power failure and the Panasonic power
> failure feature worked as advertised.  However, since the advent of
> digital service, with "gateways" (modem + router in one box) that don't
> even have a backup battery compartment, unless you have the gateway
> plugged into a UPS, you'll lose service even if your wireless phone has
> backup power.  Actually, FWIW, Comcast has told me that in the event of
> a power failure, even a UPS won't help me because their hardware that
> runs between their central servers and my building will lose power as
> well so there won't be any signal coming in to my gateway.  Glad I have
> a cell phone with a different carrier.  At least they have emergency
> power for their cell towers that should outlast a typical power outage.

The guy that informed me that the only way to fix my bad copper
connection was to go fiber because the old lead covered copper phone
lines were not going to be replaced, also told me when I asked about
service during a power outage, that they would provide a battery backup
box. I had to harass the company to get them to provide that but they
did. I is a plastic box that holds 16 or something D cell batteries. I
am responsible for battery replacement.

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<3a2uK.26764$Lx5.11457@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26758&group=alt.home.repair#26758

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:09:47 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 19:09 UTC

On 6/26/22 10:25, Retirednoguilt wrote:

[snip]

> I also have a Panasonic cordless phone.  In the past (but not in the
> past 6-7 years) when I had plain old copper wire analog phone service, I
> never lost my dial tone during a power failure and the Panasonic power
> failure feature worked as advertised.  However, since the advent of
> digital service, with "gateways" (modem + router in one box) that don't
> even have a backup battery compartment, unless you have the gateway
> plugged into a UPS, you'll lose service even if your wireless phone has
> backup power.  Actually, FWIW, Comcast has told me that in the event of
> a power failure, even a UPS won't help me because their hardware that
> runs between their central servers and my building will lose power as
> well so there won't be any signal coming in to my gateway.  Glad I have
> a cell phone with a different carrier.  At least they have emergency
> power for their cell towers that should outlast a typical power outage.

My cable phone gateway has a backup battery, and it is on a UPS. The
cable node at the end of the street has a backup battery as well,
although the last time we had an extended outage, it only lasted about 4
hours. The company brought a portable generator around, but we were
still without service for several hours before that.

I have looked at some cell phone towers near here. Those do have
generators on them.

Last time we has a major storm (IIRC, tornadoes), cell phone service was
unavailable (working, but busy). Maybe too many people were trying to
report the power outage or make sure relatives were safe.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The following talk show contains no dysfunctional families, no
humiliating stereotypes, no lewd behavior, and absolutely no
confrontational violence... we apologize for any inconvenience."

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<mc2uK.26765$Lx5.12334@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26759&group=alt.home.repair#26759

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:12:18 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 19:12 UTC

On 6/26/22 12:51, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

> The guy that informed me that the only way to fix my bad copper
> connection was to go fiber because the old lead covered copper phone
> lines were not going to be replaced, also told me when I asked about
> service during a power outage, that they would provide a battery backup
> box. I had to harass the company to get them to provide that but they
> did. I is a plastic box that holds 16 or something D cell batteries. I
> am responsible for battery replacement.

The deteriorating copper lines were also my reason for switching to
cable for phone service.

That reminds me I need to check my battery.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The following talk show contains no dysfunctional families, no
humiliating stereotypes, no lewd behavior, and absolutely no
confrontational violence... we apologize for any inconvenience."

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<1q2lbh9qskph4as1h7kv2vhtlnp1v0g97n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26775&group=alt.home.repair#26775

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 01:05:16 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 05:05 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:51:54 -0700, Bob F
<bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 6/26/2022 8:25 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:

>>> My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
>>> failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
>>> handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
>>> use speakerphone).
>>>

>> I also have a Panasonic cordless phone.  In the past (but not in the
>> past 6-7 years) when I had plain old copper wire analog phone service, I
>> never lost my dial tone during a power failure and the Panasonic power
>> failure feature worked as advertised.  However, since the advent of
>> digital service, with "gateways" (modem + router in one box) that don't
>> even have a backup battery compartment, unless you have the gateway
>> plugged into a UPS, you'll lose service even if your wireless phone has
>> backup power.  Actually, FWIW, Comcast has told me that in the event of
>> a power failure, even a UPS won't help me because their hardware that
>> runs between their central servers and my building will lose power as
>> well so there won't be any signal coming in to my gateway.  Glad I have
>> a cell phone with a different carrier.  At least they have emergency
>> power for their cell towers that should outlast a typical power outage.
>
>The guy that informed me that the only way to fix my bad copper
>connection was to go fiber because the old lead covered copper phone
>lines were not going to be replaced, also told me when I asked about
>service during a power outage, that they would provide a battery backup
>box. I had to harass the company to get them to provide that but they
>did. I is a plastic box that holds 16 or something D cell batteries. I
>am responsible for battery replacement.

I have one of those boxes, that need 16 batteries. I didn't have to
harrass them to get it -- it arrived with the installer -- but I can't
think of any phone converstaion I have that is worth the price of 16
batteries. So far, the Verizon FIOS has worked without any interruption
I've noticed. Several years.

Because of a leaking water main, I think they turned off the water to my
home this morning, but even though I got up at 9, it was 4 before I
drank any water, and that was from the bottle next to my desk. I think
the water is back on now and I never missed it.

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<t9e44j$10ot6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26776&group=alt.home.repair#26776

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 22:38:32 -0700
 by: Bob F - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 05:38 UTC

On 6/27/2022 10:05 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:51:54 -0700, Bob F
> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I also have a Panasonic cordless phone.  In the past (but not in the
>>> past 6-7 years) when I had plain old copper wire analog phone service, I
>>> never lost my dial tone during a power failure and the Panasonic power
>>> failure feature worked as advertised.  However, since the advent of
>>> digital service, with "gateways" (modem + router in one box) that don't
>>> even have a backup battery compartment, unless you have the gateway
>>> plugged into a UPS, you'll lose service even if your wireless phone has
>>> backup power.  Actually, FWIW, Comcast has told me that in the event of
>>> a power failure, even a UPS won't help me because their hardware that
>>> runs between their central servers and my building will lose power as
>>> well so there won't be any signal coming in to my gateway.  Glad I have
>>> a cell phone with a different carrier.  At least they have emergency
>>> power for their cell towers that should outlast a typical power outage.
>>
>> The guy that informed me that the only way to fix my bad copper
>> connection was to go fiber because the old lead covered copper phone
>> lines were not going to be replaced, also told me when I asked about
>> service during a power outage, that they would provide a battery backup
>> box. I had to harass the company to get them to provide that but they
>> did. I is a plastic box that holds 16 or something D cell batteries. I
>> am responsible for battery replacement.
>
> I have one of those boxes, that need 16 batteries. I didn't have to
> harrass them to get it -- it arrived with the installer -- but I can't
> think of any phone converstaion I have that is worth the price of 16
> batteries. So far, the Verizon FIOS has worked without any interruption
> I've noticed. Several years.
>
> Because of a leaking water main, I think they turned off the water to my
> home this morning, but even though I got up at 9, it was 4 before I
> drank any water, and that was from the bottle next to my desk. I think
> the water is back on now and I never missed it.

Before you use the water, Turn on the nearest outdoor faucet to where
the pipe comes in to your house to flush your service pipe and keep crud
from getting into your other pipes and water heater.

When they turn the water main back on, a lot of crud is picked up off
the bottoms and scale on the walls of the pipes and some gets pushed
into your empty service pipe where it waits to be sent to your house.

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<t9egml$11uo8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26777&group=alt.home.repair#26777

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 09:12:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 09:12 UTC

pdubbzz <8175432fbb3f485b25251bbb73ebfc66@example.com> wrote:

> its called ppl want land lines

I think there was one other suggestion, but...

I have a DeWalt battery to USB adapter (about the size of a deck of playing
cards, plus the battery).

There are also versions available for Milwaukee tool batteries, maybe others.

Would last for days if not weeks.

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<QWBuK.18696$Dh2.18574@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26780&group=alt.home.repair#26780

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 06:51:12 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:51 UTC

On 6/25/2022 2:01 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 6/25/22 10:56, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:30 +1000, hgt <tf44@nurk.com> wrote:

>>> You are a bit late after 13 years, stupid.
>>   And just in case anyone still wants an answer,any cordless phone
>> withthe base connected to a UPS. Been doing it for over 20 years.
>
> My multi-handset cordless phone (Panasonic) works during a power
> failure. There's no battery in the base, but it gets power from the
> handset left in the base. You can make calls from another handset (or
> use speakerphone).

We also have a multi handset Panasonic unit that will power from the
handset in the base unit . It too is on a UPS that also powers the modem
and router plus my desktop comp . I usually turn off the desktop and use
one of the laptops if I need to use the 'net while we have no power .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

<hb6mbhl89f3ke9gdot4593lhbnm0jus0ia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=26787&group=alt.home.repair#26787

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <3ef8e5c0-d0ca-4d4b-b315-2fab95f0bacc@c18g2000prh.googlegroups.com> <0vqev4d8ag14lm88359cm4jfjrl35vf7q2@4ax.com> <16fbc1eaf036fdb0$1$1070657$4016de43@news.newsgroupdirect.com> <op.1oaxb4x9zn9mf0@pvr2.lan> <p0cebhl8fqd8q92238vuhclmi6qvbe28ft@4ax.com> <SXItK.6578$BZ1.3790@fx03.iad> <t99tp0$3upko$1@dont-email.me> <t9a6bl$3vmnf$1@dont-email.me> <1q2lbh9qskph4as1h7kv2vhtlnp1v0g97n@4ax.com> <t9e44j$10ot6$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:08:57 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 15:08 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 22:38:32 -0700, Bob F
<bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 6/27/2022 10:05 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:51:54 -0700, Bob F
>> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The guy that informed me that the only way to fix my bad copper
>>> connection was to go fiber because the old lead covered copper phone
>>> lines were not going to be replaced, also told me when I asked about
>>> service during a power outage, that they would provide a battery backup
>>> box. I had to harass the company to get them to provide that but they
>>> did. I is a plastic box that holds 16 or something D cell batteries. I
>>> am responsible for battery replacement.
>>
>> I have one of those boxes, that need 16 batteries. I didn't have to
>> harrass them to get it -- it arrived with the installer -- but I can't
>> think of any phone converstaion I have that is worth the price of 16
>> batteries. So far, the Verizon FIOS has worked without any interruption
>> I've noticed. Several years.
>>
>> Because of a leaking water main, I think they turned off the water to my
>> home this morning, but even though I got up at 9, it was 4 before I
>> drank any water, and that was from the bottle next to my desk. I think
>> the water is back on now and I never missed it.
>>

>Before you use the water, Turn on the nearest outdoor faucet to where
>the pipe comes in to your house to flush your service pipe and keep crud
>from getting into your other pipes and water heater.
>
>When they turn the water main back on, a lot of crud is picked up off
>the bottoms and scale on the walls of the pipes and some gets pushed
>into your empty service pipe where it waits to be sent to your house.

Good idea. Thanks.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?