Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:19:01 -0800
 by: a425couple - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 04:19 UTC

from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_George_Floyd

"J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane ---
Kueng and Lane were in their first week as Minneapolis police
officers when Floyd was murdered.[46][39)

39 - "George Floyd: What we know about the officers charged
over his death". BBC News. June 8, 2020. Archived from the
original on June 16, 2020. Retrieved June 21, 2020.

46 - Madani, Doha (June 4, 2020). "Ex-Minneapolis cop told
other officers 'you shouldn't do this' during George Floyd's
arrest, lawyer says". NBC News. Archived from the original
on June 5, 2020. Retrieved June 5, 2020.

Trial of Kueng, Lane, and Thao
The federal civil rights trial of Kueng, Lane, and Thao was
held at at a courtroom in the Warren E. Burger Federal Building
in Saint Paul, Minnesota.[142][146] Jury selection began on
January 20, 2022, ---
On February 22, closing arguments were heard. Prosecutor
Manda Sertich stated that Kueng, Lane, and Thao "chose to
do nothing" while Floyd was dying. Defense attorneys stated
that the former officers were inexperienced, improperly trained,
and that they did not willfully violate Floyd's civil rights.
After deliberating for 13 hours over two days, the jury on
February 24 found the former officers guilty on all accounts."

Hmmmm.

over police shortage – HotAir
Oct 16, 2021 · Seattle reaches "stage 3 emergency" over police shortage.
You probably wouldn’t know it by watching CNN or reading the front page
of the Washington Post, but the city of Seattle, Washington has reached
another level of crisis. Despite being mired in crime and ongoing
protests, the staffing situation at the Seattle Police Department has
reached such a dire level that they have declared a “stage three”
emergency condition.

'scrambling' to recruit police officers ...
1 day ago · Rantz: More Seattle cops leave, as Mayor Harrell asks for
larger police department “As a Seattle resident, I’m concerned about the
staffing shortages, but it’s not just localized to Seattle ...

Hemorrhaging Officers and It ...
Jan 11, 2022 · The city of Seattle, home to the former CHAZ, has been
dealing with a shortage of police officers as they are leaving the
department in larger numbers than in past years and it is

hiring new officers – Bearing Arms
Feb 21, 2022 · Seattle, for example, was another of a handful of cities
that cut funding to their police department not all that long ago. Now,
that may well be causing problems. Violent crime

from the above:
Twenty officers left the force in January, 171 officers exited last
year, and 186 officers separated from the force in 2020 amid the push to
defund the police, according to KOMO. Only 137 officers have been hired
in that time span.

In other words, Seattle treated officers like crap, demonized them, and
then are absolutely and completely shocked that they can’t hire officers.

Yep. The whole thing is an absolute mystery. Not a soul could have seen
this one coming, now could they?

I mean, other than every person with a functional brain, that is.

Look, cops are people. Not only does that mean some will be good and
some will be bad, it also means they want to be appreciated for what
they do and know they’re supported by their leadership.

Additionally, when you’ve demonized them in the press, you can’t really
expect applicants to flock to fill the void. It’s just not going to work
that way.

“You know, the media and the city have been treating police like crap. I
just can’t wait to get me some of that!” said no one ever.

This is of Seattle’s own making, much like what’s going on in San
Francisco right now. You can’t demonize the police then be surprised
when things don’t go well in the aftermath.

I get that they shouldn’t be lionized and shielded from liability for
their mistakes, but there’s a middle ground that most people can
understand and respect between those two extremes. Most people want that
middle ground, even. ----

So, here we are. Seattle can’t get enough police officers and seems
genuinely confused as to why. Frankly, were it not for good people who
are going to get hurt, I’d just sit here and laugh at them.