From: lmil...@invalid.com (Lenny Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: paint or stain, how to tell?
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 16:44:10 -0400
 by: Lenny Miller - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 20:44 UTC

It's time to refinish my deck. About two third of the finish of the deck
is gone. The other one third, being under shade, is still stubbornly
adhered to the deck.

How do I tell whether the finish is stain or paint? I think stain should
go into wood and paint is only on the surface of the wood.

Other than this, is there a definite way to tell?

Re: paint or stain, how to tell?

<t7gj0d$63o$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25891&group=alt.home.repair#25891

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: paint or stain, how to tell?
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 14:31:57 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 21:31 UTC

On 6/4/2022 1:44 PM, Lenny Miller wrote:
> It's time to refinish my deck. About two third of the finish of the deck
> is gone. The other one third, being under shade, is still stubbornly
> adhered to the deck.
>
> How do I tell whether the finish is stain or paint? I think stain should
> go into wood and paint is only on the surface of the wood.
>
> Other than this, is there a definite way to tell?

Paint peels, and stain fades, in my experience.

Re: paint or stain, how to tell?

<d6ln9h925cuv0jdoqdpnfnpevjjp795gtf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25893&group=alt.home.repair#25893

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 17:56:37 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 21:56 UTC

On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 16:44:10 -0400, Lenny Miller <lmiller@invalid.com>
wrote:

>It's time to refinish my deck. About two third of the finish of the deck
>is gone. The other one third, being under shade, is still stubbornly
>adhered to the deck.
>
>How do I tell whether the finish is stain or paint? I think stain should
>go into wood and paint is only on the surface of the wood.
>
>Other than this, is there a definite way to tell?

"solid colour stain" is a lot like paint.
especially on the closed grain areas.
John T.

Re: paint or stain, how to tell?

<5fRmK.106243$45E8.40102@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25896&group=alt.home.repair#25896

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 18:44:16 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 22:44 UTC

On 6/4/2022 4:44 PM, Lenny Miller wrote:
> It's time to refinish my deck. About two third of the finish of the deck
> is gone. The other one third, being under shade, is still stubbornly
> adhered to the deck.
>
> How do I tell whether the finish is stain or paint? I think stain should
> go into wood and paint is only on the surface of the wood.
>
> Other than this, is there a definite way to tell?

Can you scrape some of the coating off? If so, paint. Stain gets
absorbed by the wood fibers. Post a photo and it may be easier to tell.

Re: paint or stain, how to tell?

<ce084c98-b2f7-4a71-b327-4864d03d85een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25935&group=alt.home.repair#25935

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 05:46:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 12:46 UTC

On Saturday, June 4, 2022 at 5:56:43 PM UTC-4, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 16:44:10 -0400, Lenny Miller <lmi...@invalid.com>
> wrote:
> >It's time to refinish my deck. About two third of the finish of the deck
> >is gone. The other one third, being under shade, is still stubbornly
> >adhered to the deck.
> >
> >How do I tell whether the finish is stain or paint? I think stain should
> >go into wood and paint is only on the surface of the wood.
> >
> >Other than this, is there a definite way to tell?
> "solid colour stain" is a lot like paint.
> especially on the closed grain areas.
> John T.

Yes, it depends on the type of stain. It goes from transparent to solid,
the latter looks like paint. Transparent shows of the wood features,
solid covers it up. If what's there looks like paint, I would go with a solid stain.

interests / alt.home.repair / paint or stain, how to tell?