Newsgroups: alt.tv.pol-incorrect,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.media,alt.politics.usa,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: New evidence in parade massacre shines uncomfortable light on media, bail-reforming prosecutors - Police make clear in court filings they believe Darrell Brooks intentionally drove his SUV toward people to cause greatest harm, undercutting early narrative of anonymous media sources.
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:05:08 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 02:05 UTC

In a prophecy 14 years in the making, the Milwaukee prosecutor whose
office let Waukesha parade massacre defendant Darrell E. Brooks off on
$1,000 bail for an earlier serious offense admitted his steadfast
support for bail reform would one day have deadly consequences.

"Is there going to be an individual I divert, or I put into a treatment
program, who is going to go out and kill somebody?" Milwaukee County
District Attorney John Chisholm asked in an interview with the
Milwaukee-Journal-Sentinel in 2007. "You bet. Guaranteed. It's
guaranteed to happen. It does not invalidate the overall approach."

Some in Wisconsin, where six have died and more than 40 were injured
when Brooks' car plowed into festive holiday parade-goers last Sunday
in Waukesha, Wisc., clearly doubt that approach.

Chisholm is now among them, admitting the $1,000 bail upon which his
office released Brooks, 39, of Milwaukee, for allegedly trying to run
over his girlfriend a few days before the tragedy was "inappropriately
low" for a defendant with a lengthy rap sheet dating to 1999.

That debate over bail reform will rage well beyond Brooks' case as a
new generation of progressive prosecutors � some funded by liberal
megadonor George Soros � execute on their belief that incarceration is
inhumane while conservatives and weary residents of urban areas overrun
by violence challenge the wisdom of such policies and demand a return
to law and order.

But pending that larger debate, police evidence has emerged in the
Waukesha case to undercut early media reports fueled by anonymous
sources that suggested a fear-driven Brooks may have had mitigating
reasons to barrel his SUV through a street crowded by parade revelers.

Brooks may have been involved in an earlier domestic altercation
involving a knife, but his actions on Main Street Waukesha suggest he
intentionally drove toward the older "dancing grannies" and young
children maimed by his red SUV, according to police and witness
statements now filed in court.

A Waukesha officer identified only as "Detective Casey" in court
filings recounted how Brooks' car brushed him and the driver ignored
his commands to stop before accelerating toward the crowd.

A second policeman, identified in court files as "Officer Butryn,"
likewise recounted how he also repeatedly demanded Brooks stop his car
but was ignored even as the driver honked his horn. That officer said
the car came to a halt momentarily, before rapidly speeding into the
crowd in its final fateful moment.

"The vehicle then appeared to rapidly accelerate, as Officer Butryn
heard tires squeal," the criminal complaint against Brooks alleges.
"The vehicle took an abrupt left turn into the crowd of parade
participants. At this point, it was clear to Officer Butryn that this
was an intentional act to strike and hurt as many people as possible."

A detective who gathered witness statements found additional evidence
to support prosecutors' case of intentional homicide.

"Detective Trussoni spoke with multiple citizen witnesses who were
present during the parade," the court filing stated. "One witness
indicated, 'As I continued to watch the SUV, it continued to drive in a
zig zag motion. It was like the SUV was trying to avoid vehicles, not
people. There was no attempt made by the vehicle to stop, much less
slow down.'

"Detective Trussoni spoke with another witness who described the same
zig zag driving pattern by the SUV and the witness further indicated,
he felt it was 'a direct intent to hit as many parade participants.'"

You can read all those statements here:

The prior case against Brooks � which resulted in his release on $1,000
bail � likewise alleged Brooks had a propensity to use a motor vehicle
as a weapon as prosecutors claimed he ran over his girlfriend during an
altercation in early November.

The woman identified as a longtime girlfriend alleged Brooks punched
her in the face and then ran over her with his car, in what she
described as an attempt to kill her.

Defense lawyers and supporters of Brooks will almost certainly point to
reports Brooks was honking his horn early in his ride to build the best
possible defense for him and may have been riled up by a domestic
incident that had occurred just before the massacre.

But the early media narrative that Brooks was somehow a victim fleeing
a crime with no opportunity to avoid the victims has sunk like the
Titanic in iceberg-filled waters.

And if that pattern seems familiar, it�s because it has been repeated
time and again in the American news media.

Russia collusion � the false narrative from which The Washington Post
just corrected a dozen stories five years later -- Russian bounties on
U.S. soldiers, the Ukraine impeachment call, President Trump�s
Lafayette Square episode and the Georgia election call, and the Kyle
Rittenhouse 60-shots fired claim all were false anecdotes fueled by
anonymous source reporting that crumbled in the face of facts.

Brooks deserves his day in court and the presumption of innocence like
all defendants in the U.S. justice system.

But while that process plays out, an uncomfortable light and many
questions face both the American news media and a slate of progressive
prosecutors whose assault on the traditional bail system has raised
troubling questions.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: trim your subject

<chine.bleu-F9B967.05285630112021@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2585&group=alt.law-enforcement#2585

From: chine.b...@yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.pol-incorrect,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.media,alt.politics.usa,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Re: trim your subject
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 05:28:56 -0800
 by: Siri Cruise - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:28 UTC

In article <vNSdnR7DI6xfbzj8nZ2dnUU7-YHNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> In a prophecy 14 years in the making, the Milwaukee prosecutor whose
> office let Waukesha parade massacre defendant Darrell E. Brooks off on
> $1,000 bail for an earlier serious offense admitted his steadfast
> support for bail reform would one day have deadly consequences.

Yes, let us ignore that punitive bail is illegal.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines
imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\