From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 19:13:50 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 28 May 2021 23:13 UTC

What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot? Or something
like that.

I thought it was short for snowflake, but when I looked that up, it was
"a person who is easily offended, overly sensitive, or emotionally
fragile:" I'm not going to argue against that, but it leaves the
question, what is the origin of flake?

Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?

<s8sn0c$tjo$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2431&group=alt.english.usage#2431

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 07:29:30 +0100
 by: Peter - Sat, 29 May 2021 06:29 UTC

micky wrote:
> What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot? Or something
> like that.
>
> I thought it was short for snowflake, but when I looked that up, it was
> "a person who is easily offended, overly sensitive, or emotionally
> fragile:" I'm not going to argue against that, but it leaves the
> question, what is the origin of flake?

Snowflakes are fragile.

--
Just as 'beautiful' points the way for aesthetics and 'good' for ethics,
so do words like 'true' for logic. All sciences have truth as their

Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?

<kjv3bgdidouj9ro0ksdjrvnu1uot6upb7o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2436&group=alt.english.usage#2436

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:47:29 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 29 May 2021 08:47 UTC

On Fri, 28 May 2021 19:13:50 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot? Or something
>like that.
>
>I thought it was short for snowflake, but when I looked that up, it was
>"a person who is easily offended, overly sensitive, or emotionally
>fragile:" I'm not going to argue against that, but it leaves the
>question, what is the origin of flake?

I thought it came from "flaky", meaning a suspect plan or sceme, a
scam, and so a "flake" was a person who was not what they pretended to
be, unreliable, untrustwothy and perhaps dishonest.

Somewhat akin to dic(e)y.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?

<P6JAI.34221$um1.11791@fx07.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2539&group=alt.english.usage#2539

From: ord...@order.invalid (Ordatious)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:15:43 GMT
 by: Ordatious - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:15 UTC

On Fri, 28 May 2021 19:13:50 -0400, micky wrote:

> What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot? Or something
> like that.
>
> I thought it was short for snowflake, but when I looked that up, it was
> "a person who is easily offended, overly sensitive, or emotionally
> fragile:" I'm not going to argue against that, but it leaves the
> question, what is the origin of flake?

https://www.etymonline.com/word/flaky#etymonline_v_33141

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: What's the origin of the word flake, meaning crackpot?