From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: alt.california,alt.politics,soc.culture.african.american,alt.law-enforcement,ncsc.general
Subject: Re: US Taxpayer to pay $88M to families, victims of SC church massacre
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:56:33 -0500
 by: Byker - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 19:56 UTC

"Anthony Soprano" wrote in message
news:fuqlng5h2jk8nsh2tdt3f3qt93inoi4cnl@4ax.com...

> APNEWS.COM
> US to pay $88M to families, victims of SC church massacre
> By MEG KINNARD
>
> According to the Justice Department, settlements for the families of
> those killed range from $6 million to $7.5 million per claimant.
> Survivors' settlements are $5 million per claimant.

Chances are those "families" will burn through it in a year, two years TOPS,
and be right back living in squalor just as before.

Remember Rodney King? He received a $3.8-million civil settlement from the
City of Los Angeles, but pretty much all of it had disappeared by the time
his fiancée found him dead at the bottom of a swimming pool. As the L.A.
Times reported, King was: "...jobless and virtually broke. Gone is the
settlement money he got after suing the city for violating his civil rights.
All $3.8 million of it. Some went to the lawyers, some to family members,
some he simply wasted." (TNB!)...