A dream will always triumph over reality, once it is given the chance. -- Stanislaw Lem

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area

SubjectAuthor
* Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow AreaEd Pawlowski
+* Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Areatrader_4
|`* Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow AreaNash123
| `- Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow AreaBob F
`- Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Areamicky

1
Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area

<s8ajK.52763$GTEb.41799@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25059&group=alt.home.repair#25059

Subject: Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 15:14:31 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 24 May 2022 19:14 UTC

On 5/24/2022 3:02 PM, Nash123 wrote:
> I was considering a chimney cap for my house.  Our chimney is only
> connected to a oil furnace.  I live in New England and we get heavy
> snow.  I'm concerned the chimney cap will get clogged by snow.  Are
> chimney caps a bad idea for my situation?

Never had a problem in 37 years. Oh, make that 36. The chimney did not
have one when we moved in but after getting the squirrel out I put one
on. Get stainless steel or you will have rust running down the chimney
in a few years.

Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area

<f9026df6-f9e1-4103-9b85-54d19f517282n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25064&group=alt.home.repair#25064

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 16:40:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Tue, 24 May 2022 23:40 UTC

On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 3:14:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/24/2022 3:02 PM, Nash123 wrote:
> > I was considering a chimney cap for my house. Our chimney is only
> > connected to a oil furnace. I live in New England and we get heavy
> > snow. I'm concerned the chimney cap will get clogged by snow. Are
> > chimney caps a bad idea for my situation?
> >
> Never had a problem in 37 years. Oh, make that 36. The chimney did not
> have one when we moved in but after getting the squirrel out I put one
> on. Get stainless steel or you will have rust running down the chimney
> in a few years.

Agree. Hard to imagine a chimney cap could get clogged by snow,
especially with an oil furnace putting out hot exhaust. Even without the
furnace running, it has big openings on the sides, any snow that blows in
is going to go down the chimney. I suppose you could come up with some
pathological scenario with the perfect ice storm, the furnace not running,
etc., but if that happens, I've never heard of it.

Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area

<scbs8htv8tm7bvb4h71kija46hjeehdplc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25105&group=alt.home.repair#25105

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 16:24:49 +0300
 by: micky - Wed, 25 May 2022 13:24 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 24 May 2022 15:14:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 5/24/2022 3:02 PM, Nash123 wrote:
>> I was considering a chimney cap for my house.  Our chimney is only
>> connected to a oil furnace.  I live in New England and we get heavy
>> snow.  I'm concerned the chimney cap will get clogged by snow.  Are
>> chimney caps a bad idea for my situation?
>>

>Never had a problem in 37 years. Oh, make that 36. The chimney did not
>have one when we moved in but after getting the squirrel out I put one
>on. Get stainless steel or you will have rust running down the chimney
>in a few years.

When I moved in, I found two birds in the attic looking up at me from
the pink insulation. Ithink the screen over the soffitt was messed up
at one end enough for them to get in but they couldn't find their way
out. Oh, yeah, they were dead, but they had buried all of their bodies
but their face within the insulation. Either they did it themselves or
other birds did and then left.

Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area

<16f2893bd33d09a8$1$573844$4226dc73@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25171&group=alt.home.repair#25171

From: 39ad9e17...@example.com (Nash123)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 03:15:03 +0000
 by: Nash123 - Thu, 26 May 2022 03:15 UTC

Thank you for your replies. Were there any downside to having a chimney cap? I'm really on the fence. The cost isn't a big deal. My house was built in the 1950's and never had one. In fact, I notice most chimneys in New England don't have them.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/are-chimney-caps-bad-idea-in-heavy-snow-area-3203152-.htm

Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area

<t6mt7t$8o0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=25179&group=alt.home.repair#25179

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 20:47:08 -0700
 by: Bob F - Thu, 26 May 2022 03:47 UTC

On 5/25/2022 8:15 PM, Nash123 wrote:
> Thank you for your replies.  Were there any downside to having a chimney
> cap?  I'm really on the fence.  The cost isn't a big deal.  My house was
> built in the 1950's and never had one.  In fact, I notice most chimneys
> in New England don't have them.

The only negative for me is that the smoke does not go as high before it
stops going up. A cap should significantly reduce snow getting into the
chimney. Keeping the rain out should improve chimney life.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Are Chimney Caps Bad Idea In Heavy Snow Area