Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 10:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: cord-cutter TV that's free
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:05 UTC

I hesitated paying for streaming TV, and it turned out that my new TV had an antenna connection, and I still had my old Wineguard indoor-outdoor antenna. Luckily, I could try out the antenna as is, because it has the same plug type as my TV allows for "antenna."

Turned out that the antenna received signals, so I experimented with the aps in my TV specifically for "antenna" and located the antenna indoors in a place that seems okay for all the stations. By now, I've decided on the best settings for four different TV picture displays, and done a "search" for all the channels received. Turns out I can get some 48: four unusable FM stations, about three religious ones, the obviously biased and 3rd-rate ones, and have winnowed out all but about 20. On these the picture resolutions, colors, availability of closed captions, etc., are far better than I ever had on my old Sony flat screen and cable.

Occasionally have signal interference at some channels. Lots of ads are a bother. Some TV series are very good, although the professional golf ones have gone away, it seems, and I get college and professional football, track, men and womens' soccer and tennis, horse racing instead.

Over-all, I'm well satisfied with my "cord-cutter" solution, am saving $$ for streaming, and can always turn to streaming and continually increasing costs and confusion if wanted.