Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:15:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TN: Lafleur, Meyney, Ruinart, Ruffino
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 20:15 UTC

Betsy’s sister, BIL, and nephew joined us for a post-Christmas dinner.. Everyone took home rapid tests first, and we used the rapid test cards as placecards. We also put 2 leaves in table and each “pod” sat at their end. And we each read a Desmond Tutu quote in honor of a remarkable man.

Potato chips with creme fraiche and salmon roe, smoked mussels, fig “salami”
NV R de Ruinart
Toasty, briochey, appley, with slightly honied finish, elegant mousse but rather low acidity. B-
Rack of lamb, mushroom risotto, spinach
1997 Ch. Lafleur
Ripe black plum, hint of coffee, low acid, a bit of tannin,.Good for vintage . B

1986 Ch. Meyney
A very solid example of an old favorite, cassis laced with saddle leather and tobacco. Still some structure, firm but giving. This passed the ‘89 as my favorite Meyney a while back, and maybe the single wine I have owned/drunk more of than any other. A-/B+

2020 Ruffino Orvieto Classico
This was a the cooking wine for the risotto (I was tired of opening Briords or village Chablis when I needed a cup of wine so had picked up). Light, straw, citrus, not a lot there but it is clean and with some acid so just fine for risotto. B-

interests / alt.food.wine / TN: Lafleur, Meyney, Ruinart, Ruffino