No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness. -- Aristotle

interests / misc.consumers.frugal-living / Re: Frugal-living computer security

SubjectAuthor
* Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
+* Re: Frugal-living computer securitytracy
|`- Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
+* Re: Frugal-living computer securityBillT
|+- Re: Frugal-living computer securityvjp2.at
|`- Re: Frugal-living computer securityvjp2.at
`* Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
 +- Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
 +- Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
 `* Re: Frugal-living computer securitymarc
  `* Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
   `* Re: Frugal-living computer securitymarc
    `* Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
     `* Re: Frugal-living computer securitymarc
      `* Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
       `* Re: Frugal-living computer securitymarc
        `* Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte
         `* Re: Frugal-living computer securitymarc
          `- Re: Frugal-living computer securityDim Witte

1
Frugal-living computer security

<8712bca2-8f4d-4327-8c89-d14b67c1be6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2336&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2336

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 00:09:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Frugal-living computer security
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 07:09 UTC

What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies, I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are compromised.

Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a replacement system cleaner.

Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to be TotalAV, which can be seen at https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV. Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my PC.

Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<e6l2dit7r5nejtjn3ro46nvpbld1ifiklu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2337&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2337

From: tra...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Subject: Re: Frugal-living computer security
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 15:42:13 -0500
 by: tra...@invalid.com - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 20:42 UTC

On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 00:09:02 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
<dakadldo2@gmail.com> wrote:

>What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies, I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are compromised.
>
>Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a replacement system cleaner.
>
>Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to be TotalAV, which can be seen at https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV. Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my PC.
>
>Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.

Just what this group needs - tech junk which draws in all the
know-everything tekkies who have nothing relevant to post into this
group except tech garbage which this group isn't about. They've
ruined a bunch of groups doing this kind of nonsense.

And how come this tekkie can't figure out how to properly limit his
line lengths as per Usenet fashion - and he ain't the only one with
this fault.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<4f031d98-1ebb-4fdd-989d-3534625450b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2338&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2338

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 17:25:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 00:25 UTC

On Monday, August 7, 2023 at 12:42:16 PM UTC-8, tr...@invalid.com wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 00:09:02 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies, I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are compromised.
> >
> >Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a replacement system cleaner.
> >
> >Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to be TotalAV, which can be seen at https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2.. If my Avira goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV. Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my PC.
> >
> >Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.
> Just what this group needs - tech junk which draws in all the
> know-everything tekkies who have nothing relevant to post into this
> group except tech garbage which this group isn't about. They've
> ruined a bunch of groups doing this kind of nonsense.
>
> And how come this tekkie can't figure out how to properly limit his
> line lengths as per Usenet fashion - and he ain't the only one with
> this fault.

Sink or swim.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<fpjkdi9naqf2e096ia2rvmmr6i6i8io8he@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2351&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2351

From: Bil...@anywhare.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:05:44 -0500
 by: Bil...@anywhare.com - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 16:05 UTC

<dakadldo2@gmail.com> wrote:

>What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies, I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are compromised.
>
>Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a replacement system cleaner.
>
>Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to be TotalAV, which can be seen at https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV. Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my PC.
>
>Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.

I have not used an AV nor any type of security program for some years.
I got sick of the invasive notices and false alerts given by AV
programs. Plus the present day yearly prices are absurd for a program
that cannot protect from any new viruses or malware that isn't in it's
database. Instead of that nonsense I started using a simple sandbox
type program which keeps my C: in a virtual mode. If something goes
wrong, I just reboot and the problem is gone. If you download a new
program, which I rarely do, check it out with the Virus Total site.
And of equal importance is to keep doing weekly backups of your C:
drive.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<ubkqg2$3ra$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2354&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2354

From: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:49:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:49 UTC

*+-I got sick of the invasive notices and false alerts given by AV

I use Clam, MS Def & AVG sparingly, and am generally cautious where I
browse (using public computers for "dangerous" stuff then scanning any stuff
I take home) but TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. Ten years ago it was worse, at a
public college in one of the poorest neighborhoods, there was so much
"security" brand new computers crawled overburdened by anti-virus. And ten
years ago I used to say anti-virus software largely behaved as a virus
itself. And this was proven true years later when one of the top antivirus
programs from an enemy country proved to be itself dangerous. My late dear
friend, Ross Greenberg, invented FLUSHOT which he sold to MNP modems in the
1980s. It was like the third antivirus software ever, and it basically
behaved like mainframes preventing users from modifying system software. (I
am 62yo third generation computer user from a family of engineers, and I
first used a Honeywell minicomputer when I was ten in 1971.) These
marmelennials are out of control how they make you play video twister to do
your business. They have never lived in the real world and are way too
impressed with their own very limited skills. I also believe the Patriot
Act, though initially useful, has outlived its usefulness, and should have
been sunsetted and we have become just like the 1970s when all that security
only hampers productivity. Most of those supposedly purveying security, are
themselves more of a security risk if not from their motivations then from
their cluelessness.

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<ubkrf5$pi0$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2355&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2355

From: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Supersedes: <ubkqg2$3ra$1@reader2.panix.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:06:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:06 UTC

[...]

their cluelessness. During the mid 1980s, when viruses first appeared, I
agreed witht he speculation they were created by manufacturers trying to
discredit opposing platforms. But perhaps I invented the first virus in fall,
1978 when I appended a binary program to the (append-access) mail file of a
classmate who was annoying me.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<d84d85d8-7145-453f-8ef2-c665349f057bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2367&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2367

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 10:05 UTC

On Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 11:09:05 PM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
> What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies, I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are compromised.
>
> Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a replacement system cleaner.
>
> Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to be TotalAV, which can be seen at https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV. Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my PC.
>
> Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.

Oh, oh, now I find that some of the FREE features turn off after a short testing time, unless you go to paid version.

Kasperski or Bitdefender might deserve a look.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<ffb054f7-56d5-4555-8119-b582b01b0408n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2368&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2368

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 06:21:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:21 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 2:05:21 AM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
> On Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 11:09:05 PM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
> > What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies, I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are compromised.
> >
> > Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a replacement system cleaner.
> >
> > Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to be TotalAV, which can be seen at https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV. Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my PC.
> >
> > Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.
> Oh, oh, now I find that some of the FREE features turn off after a short testing time, unless you go to paid version.
>
> Kasperski or Bitdefender might deserve a look.

And I can always download a trial security program, use it's advanced features for a time, then remove it and go back to a FREE version. Can simply decline to renew when notice arrives.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<bb98c883-f7d0-4053-aebd-24a2f4a6dfe0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2369&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2369

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 06:22:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:22 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 2:05:21 AM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
> On Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 11:09:05 PM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
> > What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies, I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are compromised.
> >
> > Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a replacement system cleaner.
> >
> > Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to be TotalAV, which can be seen at https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV. Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my PC.
> >
> > Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.
> Oh, oh, now I find that some of the FREE features turn off after a short testing time, unless you go to paid version.
>
> Kasperski or Bitdefender might deserve a look.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2838/

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<eqmcei9qtchtgv0fhjqrkbpe6hmr7q8k4b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2370&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2370

From: mar...@searching.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 14:29:42 -0500
 by: mar...@searching.com - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 19:29 UTC

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:05:18 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
<dakadldo2@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 11:09:05?PM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
>> What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this
>> and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies,
>> I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are
>> compromised.
>>
>> Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner
>> has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a
>> replacement system cleaner.
>>
>> Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to
>> be TotalAV, which can be seen at
>> https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira
>> goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV.
>> Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my
>> PC.
>>
>> Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my
>> computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.

> Oh, oh, now I find that some of the FREE features turn off after
> a short testing time, unless you go to paid version.
>
>Kasperski or Bitdefender might deserve a look.

Go to -
https://www.filepuma.com/download/ccleaner_5.46.6652-19939/

5.46 is when they began the auto update stuff. Just go to your
install directory and delete the 2 or 3 update files and your set to
go. I also have CCleaner.exe blocked with my firewall just in case.

I have had no update or spyware nonsense from it for the years I've
been using after the above settings.

There is also Jotti's malware scan:
https://virusscan.jotti.org/

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<4129dcfa-01ee-4ea6-b92e-334972302b56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2371&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2371

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:05 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 11:29:45 AM UTC-8, ma...@searching..com wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:05:18 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 11:09:05?PM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
> >> What with computer security companies doing tricks with anti- this
> >> and that, and also joining forces in what seems to be monopolies,
> >> I'm looking at making changes in my FREE programs that are
> >> compromised.
> >>
> >> Find that Norton is now in cohoots with AVG and Avira. CCleaner
> >> has gone from FREE but invasive over ads, so also looking at a
> >> replacement system cleaner.
> >>
> >> Search of best available FREE computer security program seems to
> >> be TotalAV, which can be seen at
> >> https://www.totalav.com/free-antivirus-software-2. If my Avira
> >> goes bad on my mobile phone, I can remove it and download TotalAV.
> >> Already have removed CCleaner, although it works as before on my
> >> PC.
> >>
> >> Substituting alternative programs like this agrees with my
> >> computer economics and minimalism, in frugal-living mode.
>

> > Oh, oh, now I find that some of the FREE features turn off after
> > a short testing time, unless you go to paid version.
> >
> >Kasperski or Bitdefender might deserve a look.
> Go to -
> https://www.filepuma.com/download/ccleaner_5.46.6652-19939/
>
> 5.46 is when they began the auto update stuff. Just go to your
> install directory and delete the 2 or 3 update files and your set to
> go. I also have CCleaner.exe blocked with my firewall just in case.
>
> I have had no update or spyware nonsense from it for the years I've
> been using after the above settings.
>
> There is also Jotti's malware scan:
> https://virusscan.jotti.org/

Get the impression that computer nerds warn us NOT to freely click on third party links, but instead go separately to the download site.

So after slowly considering my options, I have removed Avira from my PC and installed Bitdefender Total Security, which gives you download to 10 devices, but costs a lot per year. Except that I'm taking advantage of their FREE test period for 1 month, WITHOUT HAVING TO ADD CREDIT CARD TO ACCOUNT. After one month, program will automatically delete.

I have now run the System Scan, which took an hour and four minuts, and discovered 5 threats and resolved them. A Vulnerability Scan is completed, and a Quick Scan of 5,091 items took 4 minutes. I pleased with the VPN, which gives filtering of ads, popups, trackers, and hidden address. A thing called Safepay adds Bookmarks that automatically run when targeted.

In the end what I can do after the 1 month testing period is simply go back to the FREE version without the extras, or compare what I can get for the money. Right now, I'm glad to have Bitdefender Total Security showing me what's what.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<8q3feitvrcle2enqvt4vqmnf2ipat4238d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2372&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2372

From: mar...@searching.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 12:17:31 -0500
 by: mar...@searching.com - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 17:17 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:05:33 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
<dakadldo2@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 11:29:45?AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:05:18 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
>> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Oh, oh, now I find that some of the FREE features turn off after
>> > a short testing time, unless you go to paid version.
>> >
>> >Kasperski or Bitdefender might deserve a look.
>> Go to -
>> https://www.filepuma.com/download/ccleaner_5.46.6652-19939/
>>
>> 5.46 is when they began the auto update stuff. Just go to your
>> install directory and delete the 2 or 3 update files and your set to
>> go. I also have CCleaner.exe blocked with my firewall just in case.
>>
>> I have had no update or spyware nonsense from it for the years I've
>> been using after the above settings.
>>
>> There is also Jotti's malware scan:
>> https://virusscan.jotti.org/
>

> Get the impression that computer nerds warn us NOT to freely
> click on third party links, but instead go separately to the
> download site.
>
> So after slowly considering my options, I have removed Avira from
> my PC and installed Bitdefender Total Security, which gives you
> download to 10 devices, but costs a lot per year. Except that I'm
> taking advantage of their FREE test period for 1 month, WITHOUT
> HAVING TO ADD CREDIT CARD TO ACCOUNT. After one month, program
> will automatically delete.
>
> I have now run the System Scan, which took an hour and four
> minuts, and discovered 5 threats and resolved them. A
> Vulnerability Scan is completed, and a Quick Scan of 5,091 items
> took 4 minutes. I pleased with the VPN, which gives filtering of
> ads, popups, trackers, and hidden address. A thing called Safepay
> adds Bookmarks that automatically run when targeted.
>
> In the end what I can do after the 1 month testing period is
> simply go back to the FREE version without the extras, or compare
> what I can get for the money. Right now, I'm glad to have
> Bitdefender Total Security showing me what's what.

I got rid of that so-called "security" programs a few years back. That
includes those horrible AV proggies.

I got sick of all the invasive, false positives, ads, etc., etc.,
given out by all those "security" programs. I installed a sandbox type
program which protects the C: from loading anything to it. Everything
is in RAM while online. When I reboot, all that happened during that
specific session is gone from memory, and my original settings are all
back. Anything, good or bad, from the last session is history.

The only extra "security" programs I use is a simple firewall to keep
programs from phoning back home. But I do use CCleaner to clean out
the junk collected while I wasn't in the sandbox for some reason.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<352db8f9-513c-4442-96b8-85401e848701n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2373&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2373

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 13:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:34 UTC

On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 9:17:34 AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:05:33 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 11:29:45?AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:

> >> Go to -
> >> https://www.filepuma.com/download/ccleaner_5.46.6652-19939/
> >>
> >> 5.46 is when they began the auto update stuff. Just go to your
> >> install directory and delete the 2 or 3 update files and your set to
> >> go. I also have CCleaner.exe blocked with my firewall just in case.
> >>
> >> I have had no update or spyware nonsense from it for the years I've
> >> been using after the above settings.
> >>
> >> There is also Jotti's malware scan:
> >> https://virusscan.jotti.org/
> >

> > Get the impression that computer nerds warn us NOT to freely
> > click on third party links, but instead go separately to the
> > download site.
> >
> > So after slowly considering my options, I have removed Avira from
> > my PC and installed Bitdefender Total Security, which gives you
> > download to 10 devices, but costs a lot per year. Except that I'm
> > taking advantage of their FREE test period for 1 month, WITHOUT
> > HAVING TO ADD CREDIT CARD TO ACCOUNT. After one month, program
> > will automatically delete.
> >
> > I have now run the System Scan, which took an hour and four
> > minuts, and discovered 5 threats and resolved them. A
> > Vulnerability Scan is completed, and a Quick Scan of 5,091 items
> > took 4 minutes. I pleased with the VPN, which gives filtering of
> > ads, popups, trackers, and hidden address. A thing called Safepay
> > adds Bookmarks that automatically run when targeted.
> >
> > In the end what I can do after the 1 month testing period is
> > simply go back to the FREE version without the extras, or compare
> > what I can get for the money. Right now, I'm glad to have
> > Bitdefender Total Security showing me what's what.
> I got rid of that so-called "security" programs a few years back. That
> includes those horrible AV proggies.
>
> I got sick of all the invasive, false positives, ads, etc., etc.,
> given out by all those "security" programs. I installed a sandbox type
> program which protects the C: from loading anything to it. Everything
> is in RAM while online. When I reboot, all that happened during that
> specific session is gone from memory, and my original settings are all
> back. Anything, good or bad, from the last session is history.
>
> The only extra "security" programs I use is a simple firewall to keep
> programs from phoning back home. But I do use CCleaner to clean out
> the junk collected while I wasn't in the sandbox for some reason.

I still use CC on my PC, but have removed it from my phone since it started popping up ads. Now using Norton Cleaner which is quick and free.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<pnageipg0g810co6jr8fb3e0uet74qhqpg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2374&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2374

From: mar...@searching.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 23:23:03 -0500
 by: mar...@searching.com - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:23 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 13:34:44 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
<dakadldo2@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 9:17:34?AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:05:33 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
>> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Del

>> > In the end what I can do after the 1 month testing period is
>> > simply go back to the FREE version without the extras, or compare
>> > what I can get for the money. Right now, I'm glad to have
>> > Bitdefender Total Security showing me what's what.
>> I got rid of that so-called "security" programs a few years back. That
>> includes those horrible AV proggies.
>>
>> I got sick of all the invasive, false positives, ads, etc., etc.,
>> given out by all those "security" programs. I installed a sandbox type
>> program which protects the C: from loading anything to it. Everything
>> is in RAM while online. When I reboot, all that happened during that
>> specific session is gone from memory, and my original settings are all
>> back. Anything, good or bad, from the last session is history.
>>
>> The only extra "security" programs I use is a simple firewall to keep
>> programs from phoning back home. But I do use CCleaner to clean out
>> the junk collected while I wasn't in the sandbox for some reason.
>
> I still use CC on my PC, but have removed it from my phone since it
> started popping up ads. Now using Norton Cleaner which is quick and free.

I don't involved in all that new stuff. I use and a simple flip
phone, and only use it for phone calls. I've never even texted in my
life.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<9fed91a5-f2d1-4ffe-86e2-f94c0abe865cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2375&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2375

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:05 UTC

On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 8:23:07 PM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 13:34:44 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 9:17:34?AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
> Del

> >> I got rid of that so-called "security" programs a few years back. That
> >> includes those horrible AV proggies.
> >>
> >> I got sick of all the invasive, false positives, ads, etc., etc.,
> >> given out by all those "security" programs. I installed a sandbox type
> >> program which protects the C: from loading anything to it. Everything
> >> is in RAM while online. When I reboot, all that happened during that
> >> specific session is gone from memory, and my original settings are all
> >> back. Anything, good or bad, from the last session is history.
> >>
> >> The only extra "security" programs I use is a simple firewall to keep
> >> programs from phoning back home. But I do use CCleaner to clean out
> >> the junk collected while I wasn't in the sandbox for some reason.
> >
> > I still use CC on my PC, but have removed it from my phone since it
> > started popping up ads. Now using Norton Cleaner which is quick and free.
> I don't involved in all that new stuff. I use and a simple flip
> phone, and only use it for phone calls. I've never even texted in my
> life.

My frugal-living with a smart phone costs me $50 a month, but I get voice messaging for my lost hearing, lots of aps for specific things like searching on the internet, saving notes, getting the weather, TV channels, news, etc., and do shopping with delivery from Amazon, Ebay, local groceries, etc.. I can manage bank accounts, credit cards, and what seems to be essential resources.

How you can get aboard this news group with only a flip phone is a wonder.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<thihei1bqucjdj36nbddvos4bec722o8h8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2384&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2384

From: mar...@searching.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
References: <8712bca2-8f4d-4327-8c89-d14b67c1be6an@googlegroups.com> <d84d85d8-7145-453f-8ef2-c665349f057bn@googlegroups.com> <eqmcei9qtchtgv0fhjqrkbpe6hmr7q8k4b@4ax.com> <4129dcfa-01ee-4ea6-b92e-334972302b56n@googlegroups.com> <8q3feitvrcle2enqvt4vqmnf2ipat4238d@4ax.com> <352db8f9-513c-4442-96b8-85401e848701n@googlegroups.com> <pnageipg0g810co6jr8fb3e0uet74qhqpg@4ax.com> <9fed91a5-f2d1-4ffe-86e2-f94c0abe865cn@googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:47:25 -0500
 by: mar...@searching.com - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:47 UTC

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:05:36 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
<dakadldo2@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 8:23:07?PM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 13:34:44 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
>> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Del

>> > I still use CC on my PC, but have removed it from my phone since it
>> > started popping up ads. Now using Norton Cleaner which is quick and free.
>> I don't involved in all that new stuff. I use and a simple flip
>> phone, and only use it for phone calls. I've never even texted in my
>> life.
>
>My frugal-living with a smart phone costs me $50 a month, but I get voice messaging for my lost hearing, lots of aps for specific things like searching on the internet, saving notes, getting the weather, TV channels, news, etc., and do shopping with delivery from Amazon, Ebay, local groceries, etc.. I can manage bank accounts, credit cards, and what seems to be essential resources.
>
>How you can get aboard this news group with only a flip phone is a wonder.

No, no...I use my desktop comp for the Internet. The flip jobber is
used only for phone calls.

I'm also backward in comp usage as I am with phones. I still use Win
XP. It simple, and it does for me what I need done. When I read the
Win 10-11 groups and see what an abomination Redmond has turned
Windows into, I'll stick with XP until too many Web sites won't open
with it. I'll then, finally, use my Win 7 comp which has been sitting
around unused for some years.

I just like things simple. The KISS Rule explains it clearly: Keep It
Simple, Stupid!

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<06ea01c1-51b4-4d75-8af1-5c62e48d277bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2387&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2387

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:40:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 18:40 UTC

On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 7:47:28 AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:05:36 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 8:23:07?PM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
> >> Del

> >> I don't involved in all that new stuff. I use and a simple flip
> >> phone, and only use it for phone calls. I've never even texted in my
> >> life.
> >
> >My frugal-living with a smart phone costs me $50 a month, but I get voice messaging for my lost hearing, lots of aps for specific things like searching on the internet, saving notes, getting the weather, TV channels, news, etc., and do shopping with delivery from Amazon, Ebay, local groceries, etc.. I can manage bank accounts, credit cards, and what seems to be essential resources.
> >
> >How you can get aboard this news group with only a flip phone is a wonder.
> No, no...I use my desktop comp for the Internet. The flip jobber is
> used only for phone calls.
>
> I'm also backward in comp usage as I am with phones. I still use Win
> XP. It simple, and it does for me what I need done. When I read the
> Win 10-11 groups and see what an abomination Redmond has turned
> Windows into, I'll stick with XP until too many Web sites won't open
> with it. I'll then, finally, use my Win 7 comp which has been sitting
> around unused for some years.
>
> I just like things simple. The KISS Rule explains it clearly: Keep It
> Simple, Stupid!

That makes sense then.

Yet I wonder if I rely on my smart phone for everything, I might just get a teather from it to my PC and stop paying for my internet on it. Already I can link my smart phone to my PC with Bluetooth or whatsit.. Gets confusing with all that. But it's handy to have my smartphone in hand while I watch TV, so I can look up stations, whatever I think of, without having to turn to the PC.

Also can consider the FREE government programs for not only internet but a phone.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<5m7ieiti8s4t41hippo9mbgjdkacnoc61f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2388&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2388

From: mar...@searching.com
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
References: <d84d85d8-7145-453f-8ef2-c665349f057bn@googlegroups.com> <eqmcei9qtchtgv0fhjqrkbpe6hmr7q8k4b@4ax.com> <4129dcfa-01ee-4ea6-b92e-334972302b56n@googlegroups.com> <8q3feitvrcle2enqvt4vqmnf2ipat4238d@4ax.com> <352db8f9-513c-4442-96b8-85401e848701n@googlegroups.com> <pnageipg0g810co6jr8fb3e0uet74qhqpg@4ax.com> <9fed91a5-f2d1-4ffe-86e2-f94c0abe865cn@googlegroups.com> <thihei1bqucjdj36nbddvos4bec722o8h8@4ax.com> <06ea01c1-51b4-4d75-8af1-5c62e48d277bn@googlegroups.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:50:08 -0500
 by: mar...@searching.com - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 21:50 UTC

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:40:05 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
<dakadldo2@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 7:47:28?AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:05:36 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
>> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >My frugal-living with a smart phone costs me $50 a month, but I get voice messaging for my lost hearing, lots of aps for specific things like searching on the internet, saving notes, getting the weather, TV channels, news, etc., and do shopping with delivery from Amazon, Ebay, local groceries, etc.. I can manage bank accounts, credit cards, and what seems to be essential resources.
>> >
>> >How you can get aboard this news group with only a flip phone is a wonder.
>> No, no...I use my desktop comp for the Internet. The flip jobber is
>> used only for phone calls.
>>
>> I'm also backward in comp usage as I am with phones. I still use Win
>> XP. It simple, and it does for me what I need done. When I read the
>> Win 10-11 groups and see what an abomination Redmond has turned
>> Windows into, I'll stick with XP until too many Web sites won't open
>> with it. I'll then, finally, use my Win 7 comp which has been sitting
>> around unused for some years.
>>
>> I just like things simple. The KISS Rule explains it clearly: Keep It
>> Simple, Stupid!
>
>That makes sense then.
>
>Yet I wonder if I rely on my smart phone for everything, I might just get a teather from it to my PC and stop paying for my internet on it. Already I can link my smart phone to my PC with Bluetooth or whatsit.. Gets confusing with all that. But it's handy to have my smartphone in hand while I watch TV, so I can look up stations, whatever I think of, without having to turn to the PC.
>
>Also can consider the FREE government programs for not only internet but a phone.

My wife uses her smart phone for a whole bunch of stuff. One thing
she finds handy is to put her shopping list on her phone, which
includes the bar codes for items. She photographs the boxes or
packages so she can make sure she's buying the right thing. The
reason for all that is because so many food products today come in so
many damn flavors, types, etc., that it can be confusing as hell to
remember exactly what you bought the last time.

She lives with texting. Gals love "texting" - Read: Gossiping. Yeah,
test messaging has supplanted "gossip". I guess that also is
considered "progress" in this modern age. I'm 88 years old. So when
I say "modern age", that expression has literal meaning when one's age
gets anywhere near close to a century. This world today is nothing
like it was long ago.

Re: Frugal-living computer security

<4f420de2-01d2-46fd-b9a2-e6541505d6den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2389&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2389

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 04:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:07 UTC

On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 1:50:11 PM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:40:05 -0700 (PDT), Dim Witte
> <daka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 7:47:28?AM UTC-8, ma...@searching.com wrote:

> >> No, no...I use my desktop comp for the Internet. The flip jobber is
> >> used only for phone calls.
> >>
> >> I'm also backward in comp usage as I am with phones. I still use Win
> >> XP. It simple, and it does for me what I need done. When I read the
> >> Win 10-11 groups and see what an abomination Redmond has turned
> >> Windows into, I'll stick with XP until too many Web sites won't open
> >> with it. I'll then, finally, use my Win 7 comp which has been sitting
> >> around unused for some years.
> >>
> >> I just like things simple. The KISS Rule explains it clearly: Keep It
> >> Simple, Stupid!
> >
> >That makes sense then.
> >
> >Yet I wonder if I rely on my smart phone for everything, I might just get a teather from it to my PC and stop paying for my internet on it. Already I can link my smart phone to my PC with Bluetooth or whatsit.. Gets confusing with all that. But it's handy to have my smartphone in hand while I watch TV, so I can look up stations, whatever I think of, without having to turn to the PC.
> >
> >Also can consider the FREE government programs for not only internet but a phone.
> My wife uses her smart phone for a whole bunch of stuff. One thing
> she finds handy is to put her shopping list on her phone, which
> includes the bar codes for items. She photographs the boxes or
> packages so she can make sure she's buying the right thing. The
> reason for all that is because so many food products today come in so
> many damn flavors, types, etc., that it can be confusing as hell to
> remember exactly what you bought the last time.
>
> She lives with texting. Gals love "texting" - Read: Gossiping. Yeah,
> test messaging has supplanted "gossip". I guess that also is
> considered "progress" in this modern age. I'm 88 years old. So when
> I say "modern age", that expression has literal meaning when one's age
> gets anywhere near close to a century. This world today is nothing
> like it was long ago.

Interesting that you still use the old Windows OS, which I used to use for playing games like Civilization IV. Found that old games won't run on Windows 10 now. Gave away a lot of older software. I'm 87, so know how that is and need the CaptionCall on my phone to let me read instead of hear conversations. On smartphone it's called Oleo, which you can get FREE. Allows me to call a taxi.