It is better to have loved and lost -- much better.

interests / misc.consumers.frugal-living / Question: Are millennials right about...

SubjectAuthor
* Question: Are millennials right about...Lenona
`* Re: Question: Are millennials right about...Sam
 `- Re: Question: Are millennials right about...Lenona

1
Question: Are millennials right about...

<b5a78132-ede1-48ea-a3e3-8cb24a3c906an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2227&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2227

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:12:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Question: Are millennials right about...
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:12 UTC

(Forgive the bad grammar in the title - I didn't write it, of course!)

10 “Old People” Advice That Millennials Find Useless And Annoying

https://parentportfolio.com/millenials-claim-advice-useless-and-not-needed/

#4 stood out to me. That is, the only time I ever heard it as a suggestion was in the 1980s, by someone who wrote to Ann Landers and said that it worked beautifully for the man who tried it. But I never heard anyone explain why that wouldn't work today - can you explain it? Thanks.

Also, why is #5 outdated? What can one do instead?

And:

" ‘Older generations are so confused': This young woman on TikTok says Gen Z, Millennials don't share the same work ethic as Boomers — 3 reasons why she might be onto something"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/older-generations-confused-young-woman-113000294.html

What's interesting about the second one is how many 60-ish people are commenting and saying the article is right.

Excerpt:

"...For baby boomers coming up, there were clear rewards for working hard. Putting in an average amount of effort allowed a typical worker to buy a nice home, raise children comfortably and travel the world. In the 1980s, the average home price was just four or five times the median income. Now it’s closer to 7.5 times.

"Having a college degree was also far more rare in the 1980s. Now, nearly everyone on the job market has a degree, eroding that edge for workers. Meanwhile, the dollar has been eroded too. Wages haven’t kept up with inflation for decades, so an hour of work today isn’t worth as much as an hour of work in the '80s..."

Re: Question: Are millennials right about...

<671e0c9386b4749876b221d9bd41ff91@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2230&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2230

From: Sam...@invalid.com
Subject: Re: Question: Are millennials right about...
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 03:33:51 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
 by: Sam...@invalid.com - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 01:33 UTC

In article <b5a78132-ede1-48ea-a3e3-8cb24a3c906an@googlegroups.com>
Lenona <lenona321@yahoo.com> wrote:

> (Forgive the bad grammar in the title - I didn't write it, of course!)
>
> 10 �Old People� Advice That Millennials Find Useless And Annoying
>
> https://parentportfolio.com/millenials-claim-advice-useless-and-not-needed/
>

> #4 stood out to me. That is, the only time I ever heard it as a
> suggestion was in the 1980s, by someone who wrote to Ann
> Landers and said that it worked beautifully for the man who tried it.
> But I never heard anyone explain why that wouldn't work today -
> can you explain it? Thanks.

I was a foreman before retirement. A few days would mean little to me.
it's easy to fake it for a couple of days, but a full week of work
would begin to show the flaws in one's character and work habits.

> Also, why is #5 outdated? What can one do instead?

Working hard in in itself is meaningless. Attitude, figuring out the
job, and doing it well count as much as "working hard". I mention
attitude because I found in my years of being a foreman that attitude
is of prime importance. A toxic personality will spread it's
destructive notions to the other workers. Everyone has bitches about
the job, but when it becomes consensual for nearly all to daily whine
and moan outwardly concerning their dislikes, things go south in a
hurry. And that is what a toxic personality can spread.

I had hired one guy who on his second day of work rolled a cigarette
in front of me while on break. I mentioned how strange it was to see
someone still rolling their own and not buying their cigs in a pack.
He
replied, "If you were paying me enough I could afford to buy my cigs
in a pack"

I allowed him three more days on the job so he could get a full check
to tide him over while looking for his next job. In other words, I
fired him that Friday after his first week of work. Toxic
personalities cannot be tolerated - no matter how smart or capable for
the job at hand. I found through the years this made life a lot easier
for everyone on the job.

> And:
>

> " �Older generations are so confused': This young woman on
> TikTok says Gen Z, Millennials don't share the same work ethic as
> Boomers �

3 reasons why she might be onto something"

> https://finance.yahoo.com/news/older-generations-confused-young-woman-113000294.html
>
> What's interesting about the second one is how many 60-ish people are commenting and saying the article is right.
>
> Excerpt:
>
> "...For baby boomers coming up, there were clear rewards for
> working hard. Putting in an average amount of effort allowed a
> typical worker to buy a nice home, raise children comfortably and
> travel the world. In the 1980s, the average home price was just
> four or five times the median income. Now it�s closer to 7.5 times.

In the early 60's I was making a $150 a week salary on my job as
foreman. That amount was about double what my workers made.

With that pay, I was renting a spacious six room apartment for $95
dollars a month. Hamburger was 3 lb. for a dollar. White Castle
sliders were either five or ten cents each. Steak at the butcher shop
was less than a dollar a pound. Prime was somewhere about two bucks a
pound, and I mean *real* prime, not that crap that passes today for
prime. You didn't need a knife to cut it, a fork separated it just
fine. In the 70's I and my wife - a stay at home mom, bought our first
house. A two story with full basement and a large backyard. It had
eight rooms. It cost us $25,000.

Lots of luck for the average worker to live that lifestyle today. (One
aside, a political one, our rotten corrupt government more than any
other factor is what has led us to the present state of affairs.)

> "Having a college degree was also far more rare in the 1980s.
> Now, nearly everyone on the job market has a degree, eroding
> that edge for workers. Meanwhile, the dollar has been eroded too.
> Wages haven�t kept up with inflation for decades, so an hour of
> work today isn�t worth as much as an hour of work in the '80s..."

Anybody who wastes his life going in debt for a hundred grand or so in
order to get a college degree is dumb. Get a real job. Do your
apprenticeship for a real job such as electrician, plumber, carpenter,
or whatever. Don't waste you life being in debt for a degree from the
colleges of today. They have grown into political brainwashing centers
rather than teaching centers. Plus, as posted above, darn near
everyone has a degree. That takes you back to step one as far as
standing out from the crowd. Your just another job applicant on par
with all the others.

America is no longer For The People. It's for our "Leaders", who have
sucked us dry for their own enrichment of dollars and power.

Re: Question: Are millennials right about...

<8b0407c7-94d0-45e0-8d98-352c1c5d9915n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2233&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2233

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:25:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 02:25 UTC

On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 9:33:59 PM UTC-4, S wrote:

> Lenona wrote:
> >
> > (Forgive the bad grammar in the title - I didn't write it, of course!)
> >
> > 10 “Old People” Advice That Millennials Find Useless And Annoying
> >
> > https://parentportfolio.com/millenials-claim-advice-useless-and-not-needed/
> >

> > #4 stood out to me. That is, the only time I ever heard it as a
> > suggestion was in the 1980s, by someone who wrote to Ann
> > Landers and said that it worked beautifully for the man who tried it.
> > But I never heard anyone explain why that wouldn't work today -
> > can you explain it? Thanks.
> >
> I was a foreman before retirement. A few days would mean little to me.
> it's easy to fake it for a couple of days, but a full week of work
> would begin to show the flaws in one's character and work habits.

IIRC, the man in question worked for a whole MONTH for free.

> Anybody who wastes his life going in debt for a hundred grand or so in
> order to get a college degree is dumb. Get a real job. Do your
> apprenticeship for a real job such as electrician, plumber, carpenter,
> or whatever. Don't waste you life being in debt for a degree from the
> colleges of today. They have grown into political brainwashing centers
> rather than teaching centers. Plus, as posted above, darn near
> everyone has a degree. That takes you back to step one as far as
> standing out from the crowd. Your just another job applicant on par
> with all the others.

Well, yes and no. For one thing, a college diploma proves that one has a high-school degree, at least.

Yes, college has become WAY overpriced and even many women are reconsidering going - but if more women than men are taking the college-loan gamble, it's very likely because they really NEED to. As another writer said some years ago:

"Believe it or not, there are still stereotypically male jobs that pay well and don't require college degrees--plumbing, cabinetry, electrical work, computer repair, refrigeration, trucking, mining, restaurant cuisine. My daughter had two male school friends, good students from academically oriented families, who chose cooking school over college. Moreover, as I'll discuss in my next column, sex discrimination in employment is alive and well: Maybe boys focus less on school because they think they'll come out ahead anyway. What solid, stable jobs with a future are there for women without at least some higher ed? Heather Boushey, an economist with the Center for Economic Policy and Research, noted that women students take out more loans than their male classmates, even though a BA does less to increase their income.. The sacrifice would make sense, though, if the BA made the crucial difference between respectable security and a lifetime as a waitress or a file clerk."

(If you're wondering why she doesn't just recommend that women apply for those "male" jobs instead of college, see the third sentence, above.)