From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Re: The Defunding Of SPD
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 09:18:51 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 5 May 2021 16:18 UTC

On 5/2/2021 2:11 PM, Walt In Seattle wrote:
> As the new Police Chief has explained, a rapidly shrinking police force will have iand has dad its negative impact on Seattle. America has been plagued too long by an inclination to respond to problems with EXTREME solutions. rather tham that which is carefully crafted with all ramifications considered as fully as possible. Seattle and SPD are now a case in point. The city council rightly perceived there is a problem to be soved and a need to reform law enforcement procedures if not overarching culture -- American culture -- which has likely promulgated a problem stretching across society, not just pervasively controlling the subculture of law enforcement. But the city council wrongly assumed the best fix for that problem was to, in effect, castrate or otherwise make largely irrelevant SPD to its care mission of protecing and serving the public at large.
>
> I'm sorry I have to put it this way, but I see the city council as having its head up its ASS! If ever there was action taken based predominantly on an emotional and illogical, nevermid unstudied, assessment of what to do, defunding of SPD was and is IT! Kne-jerk legislation is almost always harmful because it does NOT give due consideration to both good and bad consequences that may come from that legislation Ergo, the people of Seattle have suffered and WILL suffer accordingly.

Yes, to your above.
The Seattle City Council in 2020/2021 has
really long term harmed the citizens of Seattle.
It has alienated in horrible ways the employees of SPD.
Many of the best - that should be the seed of a good future,
will leave. Many will just mentally check out.
Many will be very aggressive, and also passive aggressive
at waging a guerilla war.

And as a fall out from Mayor Durkin's "Maybe we'll have
a summer of love." in reference to her pulling out
and just abandoning areas of Seattle.

Fasten your chinstrap to the future of the lawsuit
against Seattle for failing to police.