A chronic disposition to inquiry deprives domestic felines of vital qualities.

interests / misc.consumers.frugal-living / "If you stopped buying avocados, you could afford a house"

SubjectAuthor
* "If you stopped buying avocados, you could afford a house"Lenona
`- Re: "If you stopped buying avocados, you could afford a house"Lenona

1
"If you stopped buying avocados, you could afford a house"

<dbe3f840-c596-4e43-9124-79d3d27e648bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2204&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2204

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 10:16:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "If you stopped buying avocados, you could afford a house"
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 30 May 2023 17:16 UTC

I have to say, I didn't know that #7 was outdated - but I'm not sure I've ever heard that "outdated" advice in the first place.

And #10 doesn't take certain factors into consideration. Namely, that while there are still good jobs (traditionally, jobs for men) that don't require a college degree, that's hardly true for women. So even if a woman can't figure out for years how she wants to support herself, skipping or postponing college could easily be a bad idea.

And, in another thread, I think I mentioned how at least SOME boomers are realizing that housing really is much more expensive than it once was.

https://donprosper.com/if-you-stopped-buying-avocados-you-could-afford-a-house-10-worst-pieces-of-advice-ever-offered-to-millennials-by-older-generations/

Re: "If you stopped buying avocados, you could afford a house"

<40a2afcf-4bac-43df-a738-e7817d067c7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2205&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2205

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 10:53:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 30 May 2023 17:53 UTC

> And, in another thread, I think I mentioned how at least SOME boomers are realizing that housing really is much more expensive than it once was.

Two Reddit threads that I remember now:

(this one is from last summer - maybe August)

"Millennials and Gen-Z cannot afford to have children"

https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/wyp44r/millennials_and_genz_cannot_afford_to_have/

One of the more popular comments:

KittiesB4Kids
"It's mind-blowing to me that in the fifties you could have a house and children on ONE income. I was born in 1987. I didn't go to college and therefore don't have student loan debt. I never wanted children and my husband is sterilized, thank God. We don't drink Starbucks or blow our money on alcohol or tattoos. We are trying to be frugal, but with inflation of everything and having car repairs, this is really tough on us. Education cost is through the roof. Housing costs, gas prices, grocery prices, utility bills - everything is horrible. The boomers are saying we need to live simpler: not buy $800 phones and so many streaming services. Okay. Except literally our whole system is technology dependent. I don't agree with it, I think it's risky and stupid, but it is what it is. We have to adapt to keep up. And I pay for Hulu and nothing else. And that doesn't change the fact that pay wages have NOT kept up with inflation. They had an easier path than us. Plain and simple.

"Basically you have to learn a sought after trade or get a CDL or you're screwed."

And the long response from bifuriouslypersist is even better:

" 1985 here, and even my single mother, poverty born and frugal, believes that b======= line. She says 'what are you spending all of your money on???'

"I literally showed her my bank account. Gas, car payment (reasonable, and allllmost paid off... but also now about to be without a warranty), insurance, gas, rent, utilities, food, gas... school loan/medical bill payments, and also, gas. I wear my clothes until they're shreds, my phone is 6yrs old, I don't wear makeup, get my nails done, and cut my own hair. I only buy Starbucks (drip, not lattes) and cheap prepared food when I've been so busy working/stuck in traffic that I'm literally starving and too exhausted to also go to the grocery store and make food that was just as expensive to buy and now I have to cook..."

(from January, I think)

"So, I got in a conversation with my folks about why people are child-free. Went as good as you'd expect."

https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/10e30wn/so_i_got_in_a_conversation_with_my_folks_about/

RedolenceLove

"This afternoon, my folks and I were talking about inflation and how the price of eggs is astronomically high. I made a comment about people not being able to afford children and that's why the population rate isn't growing like they predicted. My mother proceeded to tell me that people are only child-free because they're selfish. My father added that people don't want to give up their nice cars, their nice things, don't want to sacrifice. For him, he emphasized sacrifice. I was totally flabbergasted. Is this a common viewpoint? They are boomers, by the way."

WrestlingWoman
"I read a story from a guy once whose father was a lot like your mother. Son even worked the same job as father once did, and father was so convinced son just didn't use his money correctly since he couldn't afford a house like father once did in that job.

"Son finally printed out all papers to show his salary and his bills, took the papers to dad, and told him to make it work. Dad finally realized how everything but salary has gone up over the years and ended up just sitting there shaking his head while repeating: 'This is so wrong.' "

"Maybe do the same with your mother. Print out papers to show salary and bills so she can see how much the world has changed since she was your age."

RedolenceLove
"Thank you for the suggestion! I might have to try that. I agree that everything is going up and wages are stagnant."