From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.guns,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: pointing an airsoft gun at a trooper?
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 11:14:01 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sun, 2 May 2021 18:14 UTC

David Mack
April 17
Lives in Traveling Earth (1976–present)

What do you think of the shooting of 16-year Peyton Ham for pointing an
airsoft gun at a trooper? Did it cross your mind that the likely
neighbors who called 911 must have previously seen him playing with it
outdoors and should have mentioned it?
Stupid is as stupid does.

When I was about 12 or 13, I was in my friends backyard shooting bb
pistols at targets his dad set up. He was watching us through the
window. The pistols looked like common real pistols. The nosy neighbor
on the side called the police and told them we were shooting at her
house. The police showed up and walked up on us - none of us were stupid
enough to point the pistols at the officer. We had been told the basic
firearm safety rules - in this example it was “don't point your weapon
at anything you aren't willing to destoy" and “keep the muzzle pointed
downrange”. My friends dad came out and explained he was watching us the
entire time and we had not done as the neighbor claimed.

You can't expect an officer to immediately know the handgun is bb,
airsoft, replica or a firearm.

If the parents aren't willing to teach general firearms safety they
shouldn't let children have them. I've met 12 year old competition
shooters that experts with firearms. I've seen 6 year olds safely
operate youth rifles at ranges. If people that young can understand the
safety rules then there is no excuse for older children to point any gun
at a police officer.

Of course I don't want children to be shot, but responsible gun use is
the responsibility of the purchaser as well as the user.

17.2K viewsView 330 upvotes · Answer requested by Bruno Uzoka