The horror... the horror!

interests / soc.culture.china / The Capitalist Culture That Built America

SubjectAuthor
* The Capitalist Culture That Built AmericaDavid P.
`* Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built Americaltlee1
 +* Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built AmericaDavid P.
 |`* Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built Americaltlee1
 | `- Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built AmericaByker
 `- Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built AmericaByker

1
The Capitalist Culture That Built America

<4732459f-db2a-437b-af95-f4c134026202n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2196&group=soc.culture.china#2196

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 23:18:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Capitalist Culture That Built America
From: imb...@mindspring.com (David P.)
 by: David P. - Thu, 20 May 2021 06:18 UTC

The Capitalist Culture That Built America
By Zachary Karabell, 5/14/21, Wall St. Journal

At the dawn of the 19th c., an Irish immigrant named Alexander
Brown arrived in Baltimore & set up shop as a linen merchant.
The firm that he founded would evolve into one of America’s
most important investment banks, Brown Brothers Harriman,
which is still in business today. Over more than 2 centuries,
as a unique form of capitalism turned the U.S. into the most
potent & affluent country in the world, Brown Brothers was
the alchemist at the center.

In its first hundred years, the firm helped to make paper
currency standard in the U.S., underwrote the earliest
railroad & trans-Atlantic steamship companies & almost
unilaterally created the first foreign exchange system
between the American dollar & the British pound. In the
20th c., it became a cornerstone of what came to be known as
“the Establishment,” as its partners entered the halls of govt
to shape the global economic & security system that remains
the world’s institutional architecture.

Today, as American capitalism faces the challenge of
reinventing itself for a post-pandemic future, the story
of Brown Brothers offers crucial lessons. Its legacy is by
no means simple: Like capitalism itself, the firm exhibited
a panoply of virtues & not a few vices. Brown Brothers helped
to unlock immense wealth & spurred the growth of American
creativity & power, but its partners too often equated the
public good with what was good for the firm.

Generations of Brown Bros partners became rich while
sustaining a culture of prudence & public service. Yet, as
the largest cotton trader before the Civil War, the firm was
deeply complicit in the evils of slavery, like much of
American business at the time. The int'l system that Brown
Brothers helped to establish after WWII unleashed decades of
widening prosperity in the West, but it also cemented the
wealth & power of a narrow elite.

For all the complications of its legacy, Brown Bros embodies
an ethos that still has much to recommend it, especially in
contrast to the form of finance capitalism that emerged in
the 80s & nearly capsized the global economy in 2008-09.
Today, when the wealth of a few has reached extraordinary
heights, we can learn from Brown Brothers’ commitment to
sustainable capitalism—to the belief that no individual or
firm can ultimately thrive unless the wider society thrives
as well, & that sometimes enough is enough.

Luck & contingency certainly played important roles in the
firm’s longevity, but its culture was its lifeblood. That
culture began with Alexander Brown, bespectacled & almost
scholarly in demeanor, whose letters two centuries ago to
his 4 sons—the original Brown Bros—have the pithiness of Ben
Franklin’s Poor Richard: “Don’t deal with people about whose
character there is a question. It keeps your mind uneasy. It
is far better to lose the business.” If “the risks are too
great,” he advised, it’s best not to take them: “You cannot
make a mistake by being sure.” Where others engaged in
speculation, Alexander preached investment.

When he did embark on riskier ventures, it was usually for
a greater public purpose. In the 1820s, concerned that
Baltimore was being eclipsed by New York & Philly as an
economic hub, Alexander Brown championed a new technology:
an iron railroad with cars pulled by a steam engine. The
Baltimore & Ohio RR was inaugurated on July 4, 1828, with
the promise that it would transform the American landscape.
The project cost the equivalent of billions today, & it made
the family no real money, but the Browns knew that they
wouldn’t prosper unless Baltimore did.

After Alexander Brown died in 1834, leaving an estate worth
close to $100 million in today’s terms, his 2nd son James—
ramrod straight, courteous to a fault—made a bet on another
new form of transport, the trans-Atlantic steamer. In the
1850s, he & the roly-poly shipping magnate Edward Knight
Collins launched the Collins Line, with the fastest & most
luxurious ships ever to cross the Atlantic. They were on the
cusp of triumph when the jewel of the line, the plush S.S.
Arctic, collided with a French trawler & sank in 1854. The
popular preacher Henry Ward Beecher used the disaster as an
occasion to attack the triumph of materialism, intoning that
God “is striking thundering strokes at the wealth of the
whole community.”

Never again did the firm wager speculative capital on a
newfangled venture. Brown Bros steered clear of the railroad
boom that began midcentury, which brought a few investors to
great heights & buried almost everyone else. The Browns
understood that finance could unleash growth & good times
but also cause crashes & usher in the bad. The firm remained
immensely profitable, but it carefully skirted the highest
highs & lowest lows of the last years of the 19th c.

In the decades before the Civil War, Brown Bros moved away
from the physical shipment of cotton & focused on financing
the industry, while the family became staunch supporters of
the Republican Party & the Union cause during the Civil War.
After the war, the firm made considerable profits providing
letters of credit for travelers in the burgeoning tourism
industry. It also pioneered the unglamorous but lucrative &
necessary business of foreign exchange, helping other banks
to integrate their foreign & domestic business.

The Great Depression led the firm to a corporate marriage
that would prove lasting & consequential. In the fall of
1930, a group of nattily dressed young men chartered a railcar
to take them to their 15th reunion at Yale. Among them was
Prescott Bush, a tall, lanky man who had married the daughter
of George Herbert Walker of St. Louis, the president of the
banking firm founded by Averell Harriman, the son of one of
the country’s wealthiest railroad magnates. Others were
junior partners of Brown Brothers, then being led by the
cousins Thatcher & James Brown, great-grandsons of Alexander.

These sophisticated young men were to the manor born, & as
they played poker on the journey, they bet sums well beyond
the daily wages of most Americans. But even they weren’t
protected from the economic devastation of the Depression;
outside the windows of their cosseted car, storms were brewing,
& their two firms were suddenly vulnerable. They broached the
idea of a merger, & after a few months of negotiations, the
deal was made. Robert Abercrombie Lovett, a veteran of the
select Yale Air Unit in WWI who had married into the Brown
family & just become a partner at Brown Bros, recalled that
“Harriman had this little business & too much capital; Brown
Bros had too much business & little capital.”

They decided to link their names, creating Brown Brothers
Harriman. In a storied building at 59 Wall St, the new bank
helped to create the modern wealth management industry & to
craft the financial & security system that governs the world,
albeit shakily, to this day.

Even before the war, the firms had experience in global
finance. Brown Brothers owned a majority share of Nicaragua’s
main railroad & its national bank, & its loans to the govt
of Nicaragua provided President Taft with an excuse to send
the Marines to occupy the country in 1912. Nicaragua would
remain a vassal of the U.S. for much of the decade, leading
The Nation magazine to dub the country the “Republic of
Brown Brothers.” The Browns averred that they were only
looking after their loans & the interests of their clients,
& that Nicaragua was ultimately better for their investments.
But for generations of Latin Americans, the bank represented
the ugly legacy of U.S. imperialism.

WWII & the Cold War propelled the combined firm into the
political stratosphere, as Harriman, Lovett & Bush each
served in high govt positions. Their partnership was a
microcosm of the WASP elite that helped to make the “American
century.” During the war, Harriman became “the plenipotentiary,”
as the New Yorker magazine dubbed him, serving as President
Roosevelt’s envoy to Churchill & Stalin. Later he became
admin of the Marshall Plan & governor of New York. As
assistant secretary of state in the Kennedy admin, he was
responsible for East Asia policy, & thus for America’s descent
into the Vietnam War.

Harriman’s ambition was clear, as was his unquestioned
acceptance of his inherited fortune, but his career was
shaped by the belief that elites had a responsibility to
work for the public good. As he told one interviewer, “It
is indefensible for a man who has capital not to apply
himself diligently to using it in a way that will be of
most benefit to his country.”

It was Robert Lovett who perhaps best epitomized this elite
commitment to public service, as starkly embodied in the
motto of his prep school, Groton: “to reign is to serve.”
At the end of 1940, a year before the U.S. entered the war,
he declared his readiness to serve, writing to Secretary of
War Henry Stimson, “I want to help in any way I can, as soon
as I can.” Appointed assistant secretary of war, he became
the chief architect of the modern U.S. Air Force. When
Japan surrendered in 1945, Lovett contentedly returned to
Brown Brothers, where he planned to remain.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built America

<5d5c7271-ca5b-436f-b0a1-ca57200c2702n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2203&group=soc.culture.china#2203

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 03:45:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built America
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 20 May 2021 10:45 UTC

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 2:18:58 AM UTC-4, David P. wrote:
> [...]
>
> As we plunge into the post-Covid future, the lessons of
> Brown Brothers’ history have never been more urgent: how to
> tame the power of money so that it builds up rather than
> tears down; how to ensure that those who have benefited
> greatly from American capitalism serve & contribute in
> return; above all, how the U.S. might once again play a
> global role that helps to increase prosperity & security for
> all. For more than 200 years, Brown Brothers has grappled
> with those questions; now we all have to do the same.
>
> This essay is adapted from Karabell’s new book “Inside
> Money: Brown Brothers Harriman & the American Way of
> Power,” which will be published on May 18 by Penguin Press.
>
> https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-capitalist-culture-that-built-america-11621004177

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built America

<7cb0084b-edd5-45b7-b450-8e5b269ba303n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2209&group=soc.culture.china#2209

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 12:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: imb...@mindspring.com (David P.)
 by: David P. - Thu, 20 May 2021 19:25 UTC

ltlee1 wrote:
> David P. wrote:
> > The Capitalist Culture That Built America
> > By Zachary Karabell, 5/14/21, Wall St. Journal
> >
> > At the dawn of the 19th c., an Irish immigrant named Alexander
> > Brown arrived in Baltimore & set up shop as a linen merchant.
> > The firm that he founded would evolve into one of America’s
> > most important investment banks, Brown Brothers Harriman,
> > which is still in business today. Over more than 2 centuries,
> > as a unique form of capitalism turned the U.S. into the most
> > potent & affluent country in the world, Brown Brothers was
> > the alchemist at the center.
> >
> > In its first hundred years, the firm helped to make paper
> > currency standard in the U.S., underwrote the earliest
> > railroad & trans-Atlantic steamship companies & almost
> > unilaterally created the first foreign exchange system
> > between the American dollar & the British pound. In the
> > 20th c., it became a cornerstone of what came to be known as
> > “the Establishment,” as its partners entered the halls of govt
> > to shape the global economic & security system that remains
> > the world’s institutional architecture.
> >
> > Today, as American capitalism faces the challenge of
> > reinventing itself for a post-pandemic future, the story
> > of Brown Brothers offers crucial lessons. Its legacy is by
> > no means simple: Like capitalism itself, the firm exhibited
> > a panoply of virtues & not a few vices. Brown Brothers helped
> > to unlock immense wealth & spurred the growth of American
> > creativity & power, but its partners too often equated the
> > public good with what was good for the firm.
> > [ . . . ]
> >
> > This essay is adapted from Karabell’s new book “Inside
> > Money: Brown Brothers Harriman & the American Way of
> > Power,” which will be published on May 18 by Penguin Press.
> >
> > https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-capitalist-culture-that-built-america-11621004177
> Could you summarize?
---------
Sure. There's a free market wherever people live. It's just a question of
how much of it will be HIJACKED by the POLITICAL CLASS !! lol
- -
--

Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built America

<46d49be8-85a7-4df8-8f3c-f9fe94bf9784n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2223&group=soc.culture.china#2223

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!feeder5.feed.usenet.farm!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!fdcspool5.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 07:21:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 21 May 2021 14:21 UTC

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 3:25:10 PM UTC-4, David P. wrote:
> ltlee1 wrote:
> > David P. wrote:
> > > The Capitalist Culture That Built America
> > > By Zachary Karabell, 5/14/21, Wall St. Journal
> > >
> > > At the dawn of the 19th c., an Irish immigrant named Alexander
> > > Brown arrived in Baltimore & set up shop as a linen merchant.
> > > The firm that he founded would evolve into one of America’s
> > > most important investment banks, Brown Brothers Harriman,
> > > which is still in business today. Over more than 2 centuries,
> > > as a unique form of capitalism turned the U.S. into the most
> > > potent & affluent country in the world, Brown Brothers was
> > > the alchemist at the center.
> > >
> > > In its first hundred years, the firm helped to make paper
> > > currency standard in the U.S., underwrote the earliest
> > > railroad & trans-Atlantic steamship companies & almost
> > > unilaterally created the first foreign exchange system
> > > between the American dollar & the British pound. In the
> > > 20th c., it became a cornerstone of what came to be known as
> > > “the Establishment,” as its partners entered the halls of govt
> > > to shape the global economic & security system that remains
> > > the world’s institutional architecture.
> > >
> > > Today, as American capitalism faces the challenge of
> > > reinventing itself for a post-pandemic future, the story
> > > of Brown Brothers offers crucial lessons. Its legacy is by
> > > no means simple: Like capitalism itself, the firm exhibited
> > > a panoply of virtues & not a few vices. Brown Brothers helped
> > > to unlock immense wealth & spurred the growth of American
> > > creativity & power, but its partners too often equated the
> > > public good with what was good for the firm.
> > > [ . . . ]
> > >
> > > This essay is adapted from Karabell’s new book “Inside
> > > Money: Brown Brothers Harriman & the American Way of
> > > Power,” which will be published on May 18 by Penguin Press.
> > >
> > > https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-capitalist-culture-that-built-america-11621004177
> > Could you summarize?
> ---------
> Sure. There's a free market wherever people live. It's just a question of
> how much of it will be HIJACKED by the POLITICAL CLASS !! lol
> -
> -
> --

Only if one is white and belongs to the boomers. The "free market" is a lot less free for others. Millennials, especially the black and brown kind, are struggling. And they need something besides the capitalist culture that built America.

The following is from a short description of about the book "It Was All a Dream: A New Generation Confronts the Broken Promise to Black America."
"Young Black Americans have been trying to realize the promise of the American Dream for centuries and coping with the reality of its limitations for just as long. Now, a new generation is pursuing success, happiness, and freedom — on their own terms.

In It Was All a Dream, Reniqua Allen tells the stories of Black millennials searching for a better future in spite of racist policies that have closed off traditional versions of success. Many watched their parents and grandparents play by the rules, only to sink deeper and deeper into debt. They witnessed their elders fight to escape cycles of oppression for more promising prospects, largely to no avail. Today, in this post-Obama era, they face a critical turning point."

Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built America

<FpqdnXKd6-DFRjr9nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2228&group=soc.culture.china#2228

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,soc.culture.african.american,alt.culture.african.american.issues,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:09:59 -0500
 by: Byker - Fri, 21 May 2021 16:09 UTC

"ltlee1" wrote in message

> The following is from a short description of about the book "It Was All a
> Dream: A New Generation Confronts the Broken Promise to Black America."
> "Young Black Americans have been trying to realize the promise of the
> American Dream for centuries and coping with the reality of its
> limitations for just as long. Now, a new generation is pursuing success,
> happiness, and freedom — on their own terms.
>
> In It Was All a Dream, Reniqua Allen tells the stories of Black
> millennials searching for a better future in spite of racist policies that
> have closed off traditional versions of success. Many watched their
> parents and grandparents play by the rules, only to sink deeper and deeper
> into debt. They witnessed their elders fight to escape cycles of
> oppression for more promising prospects, largely to no avail. Today, in
> this post-Obama era, they face a critical turning point."

And if the shitskins don't like it, they can all go the hell back to Africa:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=back+to+africa+movement

Re: The Capitalist Culture That Built America

<B5mdncyDmcvBRjr9nZ2dnUU7-UfNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2229&group=soc.culture.china#2229

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,talk.politics.misc,alt.economics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:10:02 -0500
 by: Byker - Fri, 21 May 2021 16:10 UTC

"ltlee1" wrote in message

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 2:18:58 AM UTC-4, David P. wrote:
>> The Capitalist Culture That Built America
>> https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-capitalist-culture-that-built-america-11621004177
>
> Could you summarize?

I've posted this before, but since other posters and lurkers may have missed
it, here it is again: On the tenth anniversary of the Cuban Mariel boatlift,
a "Nightline" episode was devoted to comparing the accomplishments of Cuban
immigrants versus American blacks. A young Cuban man described how he came
to Florida as a teenager with nothing more than the clothes on his back, and
he moved in with a relative, leaned English, and finished high school.
Working at a Kentucky Fried Chicken stand, he worked his way through a local
junior college and then got a scholarship to attend the University of
Florida, from which he graduated with a business degree. He opened up a
furniture store, worked hard and put in a lot of long hours, and eventually
had a chain of furniture stores. In the meantime he'd bought a home, gotten
married and had kids, and his family was solidly in the American middle
class. All this in ten years.

Ted Koppel then turned to this local Miami nog "community activist" and
asked why American blacks hadn't been able to do the same. This spade then
loudly blurted out, "Well, we been da victims of 400 years of
o-pression....." I nearly fell out of the chair laughing. Koppel couldn't
have kept a straight face had his life depended on it....

interests / soc.culture.china / The Capitalist Culture That Built America