Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 06:28:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: NYC bound
From: pfksprjv...@gmail.com (vfhuj pfksprj)
 by: vfhuj pfksprj - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:28 UTC

понедельник, 12 июля 1999 г. в 10:00:00 UTC+3, Karen Wheless:
> > Is it possible for a single woman to find a apt for a reasonable price
> > (500-900) in a decent neighborhood in the Bronx or Brooklyn? I'm coming
> > from Texas to Manhattan for a job and want to live as frugally as possible.
> > Any suggestion would be welcome. I don't have a car so I need to be near
> > public transit.
> I live a bit further away, across the river in the suburbs (Rockland
> County). While an apartment at that price may be possible, it will be
> hard to find. Typical prices for a very small 1 bedroom or studio out
> here are $800-$1000 per month. Prices are even higher closer to the
> city. You need to be very careful, if you are moving there without
> knowing the area. The places where the rents are cheap also tend to be
> the more dangerous parts, and as a single woman living alone, you have
> to be more careful.
> I would suggest trying to find an alternate place to live for a few
> months. Even if you don't want to live with a roommate in the long
> term, it's probably a good idea to start out with one, preferably a
> place where your name isn't on the lease and you can move with a few
> weeks notice. The best priced apartments are often privately owned, and
> usually aren't advertised. There are apartment complexes, but they tend
> to be more expensive, and many have waiting lists. If you can live
> somewhere else for a while, you will have a chance to look around, and
> grab a more frugal place when it comes available. In other cities, it's
> possible to find a perfectly nice, very frugal apartment by looking
> around for a few days, checking the newspaper listings, making a few
> phone calls. Not in New York. If you absolutely must get an apartment
> by yourself right away, be prepared to grit your teeth and pay for a
> realtor to help you. It will cost you a month's rent, but in the long
> run you may save more because many apartments are never listed in the
> newspaper or in apartment listings.
> Also, you said you are coming to Manhattan for a job. I'm presuming you
> have a job offer. Call the company you are working for, and ask for
> help. Ask if someone in the office will recommend someplace, talk to
> someone in the same situation who lives in the area. They may be able
> to help you find something. Any company in NY is used to this, housing
> is the perennial problem in New York, and they can probably link you up
> with someone who knows the area and can help you. This might also be a
> way to find a temporary roommate.
> Most people in this area live with roommates. I wouldn't last a week
> with a roommate, so I spent a long time looking for a place, have less
> space than I would like, and spend a little more in rent. It's worth it
> to me, but it's not the most frugal choice.
> Karen
> --
> kwhe...@rockland.net
> http://members.xoom.com/regencyread/
It is difficult to find housing in which I will live alone, and it will be expensive, so it is beneficial to have a neighbor. Therefore, you can suggest How to find a perfect roommate in NYC. If you have a neighbor, it becomes easier financially and you can take turns cleaning, so it is very profitable. Can you please advise because it will be very difficult for me to find without help