Santa's elves are just a bunch of subordinate Clauses.

interests / misc.consumers.frugal-living / Hoarding old cars

SubjectAuthor
* Hoarding old carsDim Witte
`- Re: Hoarding old carsThe Real Bev

1
Hoarding old cars

<a6c0df35-4e90-4e5c-925f-af571aea293en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2171&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2171

Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 18:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hoarding old cars
From: dakadl...@gmail.com (Dim Witte)
 by: Dim Witte - Thu, 4 May 2023 01:59 UTC

Always wondered about what use there is to buy old cars and when they go belly up, then keep them parked around nearby.

Now I wonder if their is a plan for doing this. What if it's a way to invest cash you don't declare with taxes, don't buy insurance for, and just wait to see if later sales go through when prices go up? I read that in Anchorage only one person in seven has auto insurance, and see them for sale at auto auctions.

Where I live, lots of cheap cars needing repairs, in the $1-3K range, are being sold on Craigs LIst as "rebuilt" or "salvage." Seems like parts can be salvaged or they can be worked on as time permits. Maybe buy older Ford SUVs that can exchange parts? Specialize in Ford SUV repairs, parts, or sale of used ones.

Re: Hoarding old cars

<u2vaf8$1m1c1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2172&group=misc.consumers.frugal-living#2172

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Subject: Re: Hoarding old cars
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 20:57:26 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 4 May 2023 03:57 UTC

On 5/3/23 6:59 PM, Dim Witte wrote:
> Always wondered about what use there is to buy old cars and when they go belly up, then keep them parked around nearby.
>
> Now I wonder if their is a plan for doing this. What if it's a way to invest cash you don't declare with taxes, don't buy insurance for, and just wait to see if later sales go through when prices go up? I read that in Anchorage only one person in seven has auto insurance, and see them for sale at auto auctions.
>
> Where I live, lots of cheap cars needing repairs, in the $1-3K range, are being sold on Craigs LIst as "rebuilt" or "salvage." Seems like parts can be salvaged or they can be worked on as time permits. Maybe buy older Ford SUVs that can exchange parts? Specialize in Ford SUV repairs, parts, or sale of used ones.

"Salvage" cars, at least in Kalifornia, are those that have been totaled
by the insurance company (cost of repair is greater than the value of
the car) but the owners are allowed to keep them. BUT if they are to
stay on the road they have to pass a CHP (or DMV or Gov. Newsom or the
Magic Unicorn) inspection and the title is marked SALVAGE. We have a
salvage Gold Wing which is completely fine. I know of two 'salvage'
cars that simply broke in half and had to be towed to the wrecking yard.
'Inspections' aren't all they're cracked up to be.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Not everyone can be above average so why