From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Dormant garlic question
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 15:10:38 -0700
 by: T - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 22:10 UTC

Hi All,

When garlic goes "dormant" in the early spring, how
long does it stay dormant? Is it waiting for fall
and the weather to cool down?

And should I water my dormant garlic?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: Dormant garlic question

<gd95qh-ie2.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=214&group=rec.gardens.edible#214

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Dormant garlic question
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 22:16:49 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 02:16 UTC

T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When garlic goes "dormant" in the early spring, how
> long does it stay dormant? Is it waiting for fall
> and the weather to cool down?

eventually it will regrow until it gets too cold
outside. varies as to exactly when. the garlic i
grow here will resprout in August or September.

> And should I water my dormant garlic?

no, let it rest for a few months. it probably
won't really like the heat anyways.

songbird

Re: Dormant garlic question

<sarcso$l4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=215&group=rec.gardens.edible#215

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:03:18 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 01:03 UTC

On 6/20/21 7:16 PM, songbird wrote:
> T wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When garlic goes "dormant" in the early spring, how
>> long does it stay dormant? Is it waiting for fall
>> and the weather to cool down?
>
> eventually it will regrow until it gets too cold
> outside. varies as to exactly when. the garlic i
> grow here will resprout in August or September.
>

>> And should I water my dormant garlic?
>
> no, let it rest for a few months. it probably
> won't really like the heat anyways.
>

> songbird

Well, I got this garlic from Trader Joe's three weeks ago
of Argentine origin. Planted the big ones. Nothing on
Wednesday. But Friday, a bunch of 1" to 4" sprouts.
They seems to like the heat so far. I figure if they
die, I just buy some more. I do hope TJ's still have
them in the fall and has not switched back to the
bland American ones. All the varieties I have planted
do not like the heat.

I wonder if since these came from Argentina, if they
have summer and winter backwards. Hmmmmmm...

Re: Dormant garlic question

<saskid$1fkc$1@raid.furrfu.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=216&group=rec.gardens.edible#216

From: dre...@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:20:29 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: drew@furrfu.invalid
 by: Drew Lawson - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:20 UTC

In article <sarcso$l4r$1@dont-email.me>
T <T@invalid.invalid> writes:

>Well, I got this garlic from Trader Joe's three weeks ago
>of Argentine origin. Planted the big ones. Nothing on
>Wednesday. But Friday, a bunch of 1" to 4" sprouts.
>They seems to like the heat so far. I figure if they
>die, I just buy some more. I do hope TJ's still have
>them in the fall and has not switched back to the
>bland American ones. All the varieties I have planted
>do not like the heat.
>
>I wonder if since these came from Argentina, if they
>have summer and winter backwards. Hmmmmmm...

That is entirely possible. About 10 years ago, I got some mail-order
iris to expand my color selection. I have no idea where they had
been grown, but for the first two years the silly plants tried to
bloom in February (In Ohio).

--
Drew Lawson And I know there's more to the story
I know I need to see more