From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Why is my heater fan on when the engine is not running?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 23:09:14 +0200
 by: micky - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 21:09 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 05 Mar 2022 21:52:23 -0500, Clare Snyder
<clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 20:21:24 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>>On 3/5/2022 6:58 PM, micky wrote:
>>> This new or nearly new Citroen doesn't seem to have a marked Accessory
>>> position for the key. What I've been doing to save gas is turning the
>>> engine off and turning the key back on but stopping before it cranks
>>> the engine. Is that the right way?
>>>
>>> It still lights up the entire spedometer cluster hat way, including
>>> engine temp, gas level, wearing seatbelt icon, speedo, and tach. That
>>> seems to imply that I'm NOT in the designated accessory position ??????
>>> But I can continue to play the radio, which is what the goal is.
>>>
>>> In addition, the heater fan runs when it's in that position. Is t his
>>> a mistake in wiring it, or is there some true Accesorry position for the
>>> key that I have not found yet. I looked for the word acccsso in the
>>> 400 page owners manual, but I don't think any of the hits were on topic.
>>
>>Some cars will have the radiator fan run when the engine is hot when
>>shut down. Understandable, but never had the cabin heater fan run.
>>Could be the same idea though.

Good idea, but when I go to the heater section of the radio, I can turn
the fan off. Sometimes it's been running for 10 minutes before i I
think to do that. I don't think anything is still hot.

> Have you tried turning ir anti-clockwize PAST the lock position?

Also a good idea, but it woudn't go ccw.

As to the suggestions involving the start button, this one doesn't have
that, just an ignition key.

Perhaps they bought it 3 years ago but because there were no tourists in
most of 2020 and 2021, they never used it so it only had 9000 miles.
but it'z a 2019 instead of a 2022.

I still tried to use the two pages cited by Retired and Rod, since cars
tend to work similarly year to year, but those pages didnt' seem to
discuss running the radio when the engine was off.

What I do is turn it CCW until the engine stops, and then turn it CW
until the dash and radio light up again. So far so good. EXcept then
I have to remember to turn the heater fan off. Car has some great
features, but I bet other cars have them too without so many silly
things.

The biggest I don't remember if I mentioned. I've moved the metal plat
that the magnet attracts so sometimes I can get the phone to stick tio
the AC duct magnet, with only a little over the radio screen, but then
large parts of the radio don't work!!!! Touching the handset does't
bring up the phone call screen like it would if the phone were on t he
passenger seat. One or two other things don't work when the phone is
nearby, I'm driving and can't write it down. I would hever notice all
these probelms in the average 30 minutes testdrive. I wuill have to
spend more time next time I buy a car.

Not only that the settings are scattered all over the place. To use the
phone's internet capabil;ity, I have to tap Map first. ETc/ Etc/

Re: Why is my heater fan on when the engine is not running?

<op.1imqaub6byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20975&group=alt.home.repair#20975

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 09:05:08 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 22:05 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote
> Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote
>> Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote
>>> micky wrote

>>> Some cars will have the radiator fan run when the engine is hot when
>>> shut down. Understandable, but never had the cabin heater fan run.
>>> Could be the same idea though.
>
> Good idea, but when I go to the heater section of the radio, I can turn
> the fan off. Sometimes it's been running for 10 minutes before i I
> think to do that. I don't think anything is still hot.
>
>> Have you tried turning ir anti-clockwize PAST the lock position?
>
> Also a good idea, but it woudn't go ccw.
>
> As to the suggestions involving the start button, this one doesn't have
> that, just an ignition key.
>
> Perhaps they bought it 3 years ago but because there were no tourists in
> most of 2020 and 2021, they never used it so it only had 9000 miles.
> but it'z a 2019 instead of a 2022.

Same way of turning the radio on with the engine off with the 2019 model.

> I still tried to use the two pages cited by Retired and Rod, since cars
> tend to work similarly year to year, but those pages didnt' seem to
> discuss running the radio when the engine was off.

In fact it actually says that VERY explicitly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8znwzqfbuhomh3y/IMG_2987.PNG?dl=0

'With the ignition off, a press turns the radio on'

Re: Why is my heater fan on when the engine is not running?

<op.1imqd9b6byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20976&group=alt.home.repair#20976

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 09:07:11 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 22:07 UTC

On Mon, 07 Mar 2022 08:09:14 +1100, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 05 Mar 2022 21:52:23 -0500, Clare Snyder
> <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

>>> Some cars will have the radiator fan run when the engine is hot when
>>> shut down. Understandable, but never had the cabin heater fan run.
>>> Could be the same idea though.
>
> Good idea, but when I go to the heater section of the radio, I can turn
> the fan off. Sometimes it's been running for 10 minutes before i I
> think to do that. I don't think anything is still hot.
>
>> Have you tried turning ir anti-clockwize PAST the lock position?
>
> Also a good idea, but it woudn't go ccw.
>
> As to the suggestions involving the start button, this one doesn't have
> that, just an ignition key.
>
> Perhaps they bought it 3 years ago but because there were no tourists in
> most of 2020 and 2021, they never used it so it only had 9000 miles.
> but it'z a 2019 instead of a 2022.
>
> I still tried to use the two pages cited by Retired and Rod, since cars
> tend to work similarly year to year, but those pages didnt' seem to
> discuss running the radio when the engine was off.
>
> What I do is turn it CCW until the engine stops, and then turn it CW
> until the dash and radio light up again. So far so good. EXcept then
> I have to remember to turn the heater fan off. Car has some great
> features, but I bet other cars have them too without so many silly
> things.
>
> The biggest I don't remember if I mentioned. I've moved the metal plat
> that the magnet attracts so sometimes I can get the phone to stick tio
> the AC duct magnet, with only a little over the radio screen, but then
> large parts of the radio don't work!!!! Touching the handset does't
> bring up the phone call screen like it would if the phone were on t he
> passenger seat. One or two other things don't work when the phone is
> nearby, I'm driving and can't write it down. I would hever notice all
> these probelms in the average 30 minutes testdrive. I wuill have to
> spend more time next time I buy a car.
>
> Not only that the settings are scattered all over the place. To use the
> phone's internet capabil;ity, I have to tap Map first. ETc/ Etc/

That is typical of French cars, why I would never consider having one.

Re: Why is my heater fan on when the engine is not running?

<t03ilo$r79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=20994&group=alt.home.repair#20994

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:12:37 -0800
 by: Bob F - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 00:12 UTC

On 3/6/2022 1:09 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 05 Mar 2022 21:52:23 -0500, Clare Snyder
> <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

>>> Some cars will have the radiator fan run when the engine is hot when
>>> shut down. Understandable, but never had the cabin heater fan run.
>>> Could be the same idea though.
>
> Good idea, but when I go to the heater section of the radio, I can turn
> the fan off. Sometimes it's been running for 10 minutes before i I
> think to do that. I don't think anything is still hot.
>
>> Have you tried turning ir anti-clockwize PAST the lock position?
>
> Also a good idea, but it woudn't go ccw.
>
> As to the suggestions involving the start button, this one doesn't have
> that, just an ignition key.
>
> Perhaps they bought it 3 years ago but because there were no tourists in
> most of 2020 and 2021, they never used it so it only had 9000 miles.
> but it'z a 2019 instead of a 2022.
>
> I still tried to use the two pages cited by Retired and Rod, since cars
> tend to work similarly year to year, but those pages didnt' seem to
> discuss running the radio when the engine was off.
>
> What I do is turn it CCW until the engine stops, and then turn it CW
> until the dash and radio light up again. So far so good. EXcept then
> I have to remember to turn the heater fan off. Car has some great
> features, but I bet other cars have them too without so many silly
> things.

My Sienna is like that. You turn the key to the acc position and the
radio comes on. Turn it one click more, and everything comes on that is
on when you are driving, like the fan and turn signals, with a slight
delay on the heater fan. Turn it more and it cranks and starts.

Re: Why is my heater fan on when the engine is not running?

<cdf7ce68-e438-4519-9d1c-7143db93b9a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21002&group=alt.home.repair#21002

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:31:14 -0800 (PST)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 01:31 UTC

On Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 7:12:50 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
> On 3/6/2022 1:09 PM, micky wrote:
> > In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 05 Mar 2022 21:52:23 -0500, Clare Snyder
> > <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

> > Good idea, but when I go to the heater section of the radio, I can turn
> > the fan off. Sometimes it's been running for 10 minutes before i I
> > think to do that. I don't think anything is still hot.
> >
> >> Have you tried turning ir anti-clockwize PAST the lock position?
> >
> > Also a good idea, but it woudn't go ccw.
> >
> > As to the suggestions involving the start button, this one doesn't have
> > that, just an ignition key.
> >
> > Perhaps they bought it 3 years ago but because there were no tourists in
> > most of 2020 and 2021, they never used it so it only had 9000 miles.
> > but it'z a 2019 instead of a 2022.
> >
> > I still tried to use the two pages cited by Retired and Rod, since cars
> > tend to work similarly year to year, but those pages didnt' seem to
> > discuss running the radio when the engine was off.
> >
> > What I do is turn it CCW until the engine stops, and then turn it CW
> > until the dash and radio light up again. So far so good. EXcept then
> > I have to remember to turn the heater fan off. Car has some great
> > features, but I bet other cars have them too without so many silly
> > things.
> My Sienna is like that. You turn the key to the acc position and the
> radio comes on. Turn it one click more, and everything comes on that is
> on when you are driving, like the fan and turn signals, with a slight
> delay on the heater fan. Turn it more and it cranks and starts.

But that's *not* what mickey's Citroen is like.

There is no ACC position. The vehicle has 3 key positions:

1 - Stop
2 - Ignition
3 - Starting

The Sienna (and most (?) other vehicles) have 4:

1 - Stop (Off)
2 - Accessory
3 - Ignition (more commonly known as "On" or "Run")
4 - Starting

In the case of the Citroen, it goes directly from 1 to your 3. They don't offer the
ACC position. Instead they supply power to the radio even in the Stop (Off) position
so all that the user has to do is press the power button on the radio to turn it on.
The vehicle monitors the battery voltage and shuts the radio off before the battery
is drained to the "I can't start the vehicle" point.

I'm going to guess that if there are any accessory power ports or USB power ports
on the Citroen, they are always hot, not like many newer cars where you need to be
in at least ACC mode to use them.

Re: Why is my heater fan on when the engine is not running?

<m2th2hhlr3j346v731dsbqmjk37gsidki6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=21250&group=alt.home.repair#21250

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 20:47:07 +0200
 by: micky - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:47 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 6 Mar 2022 17:31:14 -0800 (PST), Marilyn
Manson <comawhiteknuckles@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 7:12:50 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
>> On 3/6/2022 1:09 PM, micky wrote:

>> > Good idea, but when I go to the heater section of the radio, I can turn
>> > the fan off. Sometimes it's been running for 10 minutes before i I
>> > think to do that. I don't think anything is still hot.

>> > Also a good idea, but it woudn't go ccw.
>> >
>> > As to the suggestions involving the start button, this one doesn't have
>> > that, just an ignition key.
>> >
>> > Perhaps they bought it 3 years ago but because there were no tourists in
>> > most of 2020 and 2021, they never used it so it only had 9000 miles.
>> > but it'z a 2019 instead of a 2022.
>> >
>> > I still tried to use the two pages cited by Retired and Rod, since cars
>> > tend to work similarly year to year, but those pages didnt' seem to
>> > discuss running the radio when the engine was off.
>> >
>> > What I do is turn it CCW until the engine stops, and then turn it CW
>> > until the dash and radio light up again. So far so good. EXcept then
>> > I have to remember to turn the heater fan off. Car has some great
>> > features, but I bet other cars have them too without so many silly
>> > things.
>> My Sienna is like that. You turn the key to the acc position and the
>> radio comes on. Turn it one click more, and everything comes on that is
>> on when you are driving, like the fan and turn signals, with a slight
>> delay on the heater fan. Turn it more and it cranks and starts.
>
>But that's *not* what mickey's Citroen is like.
>
>There is no ACC position. The vehicle has 3 key positions:
>
>1 - Stop
>2 - Ignition
>3 - Starting
>
>The Sienna (and most (?) other vehicles) have 4:
>
>1 - Stop (Off)
>2 - Accessory
>3 - Ignition (more commonly known as "On" or "Run")
>4 - Starting
>
>In the case of the Citroen, it goes directly from 1 to your 3. They don't offer the
>ACC position. Instead they supply power to the radio even in the Stop (Off) position

iT WORKS better now t hat y ou guys have explained it to me, but still
not perfect. Today I got in the car and wanted just the radio so I
pressed t he radio knob (I'm glad there is an on/off volume knob.) and
the radio went on and I heard the fan go on, even though the engine was
not running. The place to tap to got the heater controls didn't work
until the radio fullly started, and fully connected to the cell phone
which was plugged in. So I discharged the car battery a tiny bit, not a
problem but one more little thing I don't like/

I may hav already said that When t he phone is connected, the phone
button on the car radio doesn't work .

If I start a podcast and get where I'm going, and interrupt the podcast
i the middle, there's no way to FF to that location when I get back in
thecar. Even if I eave the phone on and connected, turning off the
engine seems to coast me location. The radio and podcast controls
show play/pause, go to start, and go to end, but the latter two do
nothing. I would want to test this before I bought a new car. It's
possible TuneIn could fix this, but it might be Android Auto or even the
car. I can't tell without other cars to compare it to, and maybe not
even then.
>so all that the user has to do is press the power button on the radio to turn it on.
>The vehicle monitors the battery voltage and shuts the radio off before the battery
>is drained to the "I can't start the vehicle" point.
>
>I'm going to guess that if there are any accessory power ports or USB power ports
>on the Citroen, they are always hot, not like many newer cars where you need to be
>in at least ACC mode to use them.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Why is my heater fan on when the engine is not running?