Disobedience: The silver lining to the cloud of servitude. -- Ambrose Bierce

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

SubjectAuthor
* [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Ken Blake
+* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Peter Moylan
|`* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)occam
| `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Athel Cornish-Bowden
|  `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Kerr-Mudd, John
|   +- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Sam Plusnet
|   `- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Paul Wolff
`* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Sn!pe
 `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)charles
  +* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Athel Cornish-Bowden
  |+- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)charles
  |`* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Madhu
  | +- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Sn!pe
  | `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Peter Moylan
  |  +- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)musika
  |  `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Athel Cornish-Bowden
  |   +- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Adam Funk
  |   +* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Rich Ulrich
  |   |+- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Madhu
  |   |+* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Adam Funk
  |   ||`- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Madhu
  |   |`* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Phil Carmody
  |   | +* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Paul Wolff
  |   | |+- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Phil Carmody
  |   | |`- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Athel Cornish-Bowden
  |   | `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Peter Moylan
  |   |  +* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Hibou
  |   |  |`* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Athel Cornish-Bowden
  |   |  | `- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)lar3ryca
  |   |  `- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Athel Cornish-Bowden
  |   `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Snidely
  |    `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Rich Ulrich
  |     +* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Stefan Ram
  |     |`- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Rich Ulrich
  |     `- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Snidely
  `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Steve Hayes
   `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Ross Clark
    +* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Madhu
    |`* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Peter Moylan
    | `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Sam Plusnet
    |  `- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Peter Moylan
    +* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Steve Hayes
    |`* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Ross Clark
    | `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Peter Moylan
    |  `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)musika
    |   `* Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Peter Moylan
    |    `- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Steve Hayes
    `- Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)Stefan Ram

Pages:12
Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<47cWN.37372$moa7.17637@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206484&group=alt.usage.english#206484

Subject: Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 19:24:00 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:24 UTC

On 24-Apr-24 16:58, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:39:41 +0200
> Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> No too surprised, I hope. Macron himself offered French citizenship not
>>> so long ago to a Malian person, who rescued a child dangling
>>> precariously from a balcony. The passing African did so by climbing the
>>> outside of a building to reach the kid. The video I remember seeing was
>>> very impressive.
>>
>> Yes indeed. Another example was Lassana Bathily, also Malian, who saved
>> a group of Jewish customers at the time of the terrorist attack in 2015
>> on the Hypercacher supermarket just outside Paris.
>>

>>> https://www.politico.eu/article/paris-rescue-child-mamoudou-gassama-emmanuel-macron-gives-spiderman-french-citizenship/
>>>

> Sadly the UK (maybe more?) is very worried about 'illegal
> immigrants' (which are often equated to 'asylum seekers') coming here
> and then not being allowed to contribute by working but must be put up
> in expensive hotels until sent to Rwanda.
>
> Whenever that happens and at what cost per head.

I have seen suggestions that they wish to get the legislation through
Parliament, stick 6 people on a flight to Rwanda, and declare 'Victory'
just in time for the General Election.
Anything that happens after that election is unlikely to be their concern.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<VQgUmfDMVYKmFAgJ@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206494&group=alt.usage.english#206494

From: bounc...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 23:18:52 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:18 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024, at 16:58:46, Kerr-Mudd, John posted:

[Heroic foreigners among us]

>Sadly the UK (maybe more?) is very worried about 'illegal
>immigrants' (which are often equated to 'asylum seekers') coming here
>and then not being allowed to contribute by working but must be put up
>in expensive hotels until sent to Rwanda.

Some classes of mammals, humans included, seem to have an instinctive
desire to claim moral ownership of certain parts of the Earth's surface.
I'm not sure how that moral ownership arises, but never mind that detail
for the moment. It's to do with those in possession not admitting
'others' into the territory that they themselves currently occupy, and
have fought bloodily to retain. At least, the ancestors of the present
population fought bloodily, and there's a staunch belief in inherited
merit (and in its converse, notably in the sins of the former
slave-engaging fathers being visited on the innocent sons).

>Whenever that happens and at what cost per head.

The taxes paid by the people are redistributed into the hospitality
industry which pays (we hope) taxes in its turn, so it's a matter of
redistribution rather than expense. We all like to see and enjoy
thriving seaside resorts, do we not? And giving our visitors free
holidays can't be that bad.

I did wonder if we were doing Rwanda a favour, by sending them willing
and enterprising workers, but that may not be so. The UK is one of the
more densely populated counties in the world, at 280 people per square
kilometre. I thought, how nice to send some workers to Rwanda. Only it
seems that Rwanda's own population density is nearly twice ours, at 500
per sq. km. Are we doing the crowded Rwandans a favour, or perhaps
making their circumstances harder to bear, by our bribery into their
relative poverty? I can't tell.

Oops, off-topic. Too late! - I've pressed the button.
--
Paul W.
Disclosure: son of a foreign refugee without a residence permit.

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0c9f2$2kd8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206499&group=alt.usage.english#206499

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from
bole)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:51:40 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 00:51 UTC

On 24/04/2024 4:20 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 24 08:08:03 UTC, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <1qsalxs.2z2kwsig6si7N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>,
>> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Also a similar structure on a pier or jetty for mooring boats.
>>> Tugboat power is specified in tons bollard pull.
>>
>> Going back to Beyond the Fringe: "Smoke Bollard - a Man's cigarette."
>
> That was the first thing that came to my mind too, along with a mental
> picture of a short metal post with an illuminated "Keep Left" sign on
> top, placed at the beginning of a traffic island -- but I haven't seen
> one for several decades, probably not since "Beyond the Fringe".

I knew only the marine sense until a couple of years ago, when my wife
wanted to put in a row of "bollards" to mark the boundary between our
driveway and the neighbour's (long story...). What satisfied this wish
turned out to be what I would have called short (wooden) fence posts
(without a fence).
As for the moveable posts with weighted base which support ropes to
control pedestrian traffic -- until the recent events in Sydney, I would
not have had a name for them any shorter than the description I have
just given.

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<m3plue9kto.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206508&group=alt.usage.english#206508

From: enom...@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:04:43 +0530
sha1:IneIFAfA4qULSGjLY/TUjNbB4j4=
 by: Madhu - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 03:34 UTC

* Ross Clark <v0c9f2$2kd8b$1@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:51:40 +1200:

> I knew only the marine sense until a couple of years ago, when my wife
> wanted to put in a row of "bollards" to mark the boundary between our
> driveway and the neighbour's (long story...). What satisfied this wish
> turned out to be what I would have called short (wooden) fence posts
> (without a fence).

so a palisade, made of pales

> As for the moveable posts with weighted base which support ropes to
> control pedestrian traffic -- until the recent events in Sydney, I
> would not have had a name for them any shorter than the description I
> have just given.

[what did this thread decide to call it]

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0ckaa$2q5ji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206509&group=alt.usage.english#206509

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:56:56 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 03:56 UTC

On 25/04/24 13:34, Madhu wrote:
> * Ross Clark <v0c9f2$2kd8b$1@dont-email.me> : Wrote on Thu, 25 Apr
> 2024 12:51:40 +1200:
>>
>> I knew only the marine sense until a couple of years ago, when my
>> wife wanted to put in a row of "bollards" to mark the boundary
>> between our driveway and the neighbour's (long story...). What
>> satisfied this wish turned out to be what I would have called short
>> (wooden) fence posts (without a fence).
>
> so a palisade, made of pales

I would call it a palisade if the posts were so close together that
nobody could squeeze between them. I took Ross's description to mean
that the posts were a bit further apart.

These days we make a distinction between fence posts, which go into the
ground, and palings, which don't, and which fill the space between the
posts. We no longer call the posts palings, even if that might have been
correct long ago and in another language.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<6b1k2jhdi6avcdg0al0r013i85461v52be@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206521&group=alt.usage.english#206521

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:26:33 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 07:26 UTC

On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:51:40 +1200, Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
wrote:

>As for the moveable posts with weighted base which support ropes to
>control pedestrian traffic -- until the recent events in Sydney, I would
>not have had a name for them any shorter than the description I have
>just given.

Ah, is that what they were?

I was wondering how he managed to uproot them.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<Poller-20240425133829@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206545&group=alt.usage.english#206545

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 25 Apr 2024 12:39:38 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:39 UTC

Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz> wrote or quoted:
>I knew only the marine sense until a couple of years ago, when my wife
>wanted to put in a row of "bollards"

In German, that could be called a "Poller", which looks and sounds
somewhat similar, but it seems to have different origins:

German "Poller": Old French "poldre" (Latin "pullus" [able to
carry something like a poldre])

English "bollard": probably from "bole", tree trunk (Old Norse "bolr")
[as one can already read in the subject line]

Still, the similarity of the two different words in both appearance
and meaning is striking.

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<JazWN.102094$au2.1897@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206576&group=alt.usage.english#206576

bole)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:38:02 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 20:38 UTC

On 25-Apr-24 4:56, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 25/04/24 13:34, Madhu wrote:
>> * Ross Clark <v0c9f2$2kd8b$1@dont-email.me> : Wrote on Thu, 25 Apr
>> 2024 12:51:40 +1200:
>>>
>>> I knew only the marine sense until a couple of years ago, when my
>>> wife wanted to put in a row of "bollards" to mark the boundary
>>> between our driveway and the neighbour's (long story...). What
>>> satisfied this wish turned out to be what I would have called short
>>> (wooden) fence posts (without a fence).
>>
>> so a palisade, made of pales
>
> I would call it a palisade if the posts were so close together that
> nobody could squeeze between them. I took Ross's description to mean
> that the posts were a bit further apart.
>
> These days we make a distinction between fence posts, which go into the
> ground, and palings, which don't, and which fill the space between the
> posts. We no longer call the posts palings, even if that might have been
> correct long ago and in another language.

It's now beyond the Pale?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0es2t$39ko4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206597&group=alt.usage.english#206597

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 10:21:49 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 00:21 UTC

On 26/04/24 06:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 25-Apr-24 4:56, Peter Moylan wrote:
>> On 25/04/24 13:34, Madhu wrote:
>>> * Ross Clark <v0c9f2$2kd8b$1@dont-email.me> : Wrote on Thu, 25
>>> Apr 2024 12:51:40 +1200:

>>> so a palisade, made of pales
>>
>> I would call it a palisade if the posts were so close together
>> that nobody could squeeze between them. I took Ross's description
>> to mean that the posts were a bit further apart.
>>
>> These days we make a distinction between fence posts, which go into
>> the ground, and palings, which don't, and which fill the space
>> between the posts. We no longer call the posts palings, even if
>> that might have been correct long ago and in another language.
>>
> It's now beyond the Pale?

Apparently the original Irish Pale had its borders marked with a ditch.
Etymologically it should have been a paling fence, but the ditch would
have been cheaper to build, and I guess the meaning of "pale" (Latin
palus = stake) was broadened to mean any kind of barrier.

Also, the Pale ended up being not just the border, but all the land
inside the border. An extension of meaning comparable to what happened
to "watershed".

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<87le4zandr.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206697&group=alt.usage.english#206697

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 23:18:40 +0300
sha1:5kA4XaIJ7umREXyMDDwaPL34rGw=
 by: Phil Carmody - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:18 UTC

Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:
> The Wiki article describes honors taken away from Fisher's
> name in recent years owing to his eugenics in a long
> paragraph. A sentence is given to smoking.

If we're on eugenics - I did enjoy this RI lecture a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gddkc5Snq3I
"The dark history of genetics - with Adam Rutherford (2023 HBS Haldane
Lecture)"

I'm a big fan of Adam Rutherford's relaxed approach to giving a lecture,
and how he adds a bit of personality to things. However, I have no idea
who HBS Haldane is.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<ryFaF0dxGDLmFA8z@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206709&group=alt.usage.english#206709

From: bounc...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 23:58:57 +0100
 by: Paul Wolff - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 22:58 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024, at 23:18:40, Phil Carmody posted:
>Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:
>> The Wiki article describes honors taken away from Fisher's
>> name in recent years owing to his eugenics in a long
>> paragraph. A sentence is given to smoking.
>
>If we're on eugenics - I did enjoy this RI lecture a couple of days ago:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gddkc5Snq3I
>"The dark history of genetics - with Adam Rutherford (2023 HBS Haldane
> Lecture)"
>
>I'm a big fan of Adam Rutherford's relaxed approach to giving a lecture,
>and how he adds a bit of personality to things. However, I have no idea
>who HBS Haldane is.

There's a good chance H.B.S. is related to J.B.S. Haldane - forenamed
John Burdon Sanderson, according to Ronald Clark's biography which I
have in front of me here. I don't see any mention of H.B.S. in Chapter
1, which speaks of his family. There's a not very a.u.e point of English
though: his sister is reported as saying that in the early Yeats, one
can play the game of substituting "bottle" for "battle" in many lines
where Yeats uses it. J.B.S. "knew masses of Yeats by heart."
--
Paul W

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0hc59$3v1l4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206710&group=alt.usage.english#206710

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 09:08:24 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 23:08 UTC

On 27/04/24 06:18, Phil Carmody wrote:
> Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:

>> The Wiki article describes honors taken away from Fisher's
>> name in recent years owing to his eugenics in a long
>> paragraph. A sentence is given to smoking.
>
> If we're on eugenics - I did enjoy this RI lecture a couple of days ago:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gddkc5Snq3I
> "The dark history of genetics - with Adam Rutherford (2023 HBS Haldane
> Lecture)"
>
> I'm a big fan of Adam Rutherford's relaxed approach to giving a lecture,
> and how he adds a bit of personality to things. However, I have no idea
> who HBS Haldane is.

Haldane is well-known in several biology-related fields, in particular
genetics.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0hh3j$3vtp3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206715&group=alt.usage.english#206715

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:32:45 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 00:32 UTC

On 25/04/2024 7:26 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:51:40 +1200, Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> As for the moveable posts with weighted base which support ropes to
>> control pedestrian traffic -- until the recent events in Sydney, I would
>> not have had a name for them any shorter than the description I have
>> just given.
>
> Ah, is that what they were?
>
> I was wondering how he managed to uproot them.

I only saw the one, in the TV image of Bollard Man confronting Knife Man
on the escalator. That's what it looked like, and the media immediately
called it a "bollard".

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0hndt$4r79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206723&group=alt.usage.english#206723

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:20:44 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 02:20 UTC

On 27/04/24 10:32, Ross Clark wrote:
> On 25/04/2024 7:26 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:51:40 +1200, Ross Clark
>> <benlizro@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> As for the moveable posts with weighted base which support ropes
>>> to control pedestrian traffic -- until the recent events in
>>> Sydney, I would not have had a name for them any shorter than the
>>> description I have just given.
>>
>> Ah, is that what they were?
>>
>> I was wondering how he managed to uproot them.
>
> I only saw the one, in the TV image of Bollard Man confronting Knife
> Man on the escalator. That's what it looked like, and the media
> immediately called it a "bollard".

It would be interesting to see who was the first to name it.

Steve's point is also valid in AusE, I believe. The main use of bollards
in a shopping centre is to stop ram raids, so they're firmly attached to
a concrete base. It's not so many years since they appeared in shopping
centres here; initially in front of ATMs, and later in front of a few
other places. Outside shopping centres, they're also used

I don't know what to call the moveable sort that's used to rope off
areas or to create orderly queues. I wouldn't have thought of calling
them bollards.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<874jbn9yte.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206729&group=alt.usage.english#206729

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:09:17 +0300
sha1:SXi0hq3iF1isY3wB4yWuc7WF4PY=
 by: Phil Carmody - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 05:09 UTC

Paul Wolff <bounceme@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk> writes:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024, at 23:18:40, Phil Carmody posted:
>>Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:
>>> The Wiki article describes honors taken away from Fisher's
>>> name in recent years owing to his eugenics in a long
>>> paragraph. A sentence is given to smoking.
>>
>>If we're on eugenics - I did enjoy this RI lecture a couple of days ago:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gddkc5Snq3I
>>"The dark history of genetics - with Adam Rutherford (2023 HBS Haldane
>> Lecture)"
>>
>>I'm a big fan of Adam Rutherford's relaxed approach to giving a lecture,
>>and how he adds a bit of personality to things. However, I have no idea
>>who HBS Haldane is.
>
> There's a good chance H.B.S. is related to J.B.S. Haldane

There's a better chance it's a typo, given that the lecture series is
the JBS Haldane Memorial Lectures.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast
aside childish remnants from the dawn of our civilization.
-- NotSanguine on SoylentNews, after Eugen Weber in /The Western Tradition/

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0i408$6vfm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206733&group=alt.usage.english#206733

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:55:20 +0100
 by: Hibou - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 05:55 UTC

Le 27/04/2024 à 00:08, Peter Moylan a écrit :

> Haldane is well-known in several biology-related fields, in particular
> genetics.

Moved to search, I find his comments on cattle are also known in several
fields:

"The evolution of the hen is an example of the law, first pointed out by
a group of Soviet biologists, that a domesticated animal generally
passes through several stages of exploitation. In the first stage it is
of no use till it is killed. The animal is merely kept to save the
trouble of hunting it. In the second stage it is used while alive, and
also killed. In the third stage it is only used when alive.

"The pig is still entirely in the first stage. Pigs have been selected
for rapid growth and high fertility, and for little else. Beef cattle,
such as the Aberdeen Angus, are also in the first stage. But as soon as
cattle are bred for milk production or for pulling carts or ploughs,
they pass into the second stage. And in England, where we eat very
little horseflesh, the horse is in the third stage" -

<https://jbshaldane.org/books/1939-Science-and-Everyday-Life/haldane-1939-Science-and-Everyday-Life.html>

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0i7it$7n22$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206740&group=alt.usage.english#206740

From: mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 07:56:28 +0100
 by: musika - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:56 UTC

On 27/04/2024 03:20, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 27/04/24 10:32, Ross Clark wrote:
>> On 25/04/2024 7:26 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:

>>> Ah, is that what they were?
>>>
>>> I was wondering how he managed to uproot them.
>>
>> I only saw the one, in the TV image of Bollard Man confronting Knife
>> Man on the escalator. That's what it looked like, and the media
>> immediately called it a "bollard".
>
> It would be interesting to see who was the first to name it.
>
> Steve's point is also valid in AusE, I believe. The main use of bollards
> in a shopping centre is to stop ram raids, so they're firmly attached to
> a concrete base. It's not so many years since they appeared in shopping
> centres here; initially in front of ATMs, and later in front of a few
> other places. Outside shopping centres, they're also used
>
> I don't know what to call the moveable sort that's used to rope off
> areas or to create orderly queues. I wouldn't have thought of calling
> them bollards.

How about stanchions.

--
Ray
UK

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<l93pueFkrr5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206747&group=alt.usage.english#206747

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:06:01 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:06 UTC

On 2024-04-26 22:58:57 +0000, Paul Wolff said:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024, at 23:18:40, Phil Carmody posted:
>> Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:
>>> The Wiki article describes honors taken away from Fisher's
>>> name in recent years owing to his eugenics in a long
>>> paragraph. A sentence is given to smoking.
>>
>> If we're on eugenics - I did enjoy this RI lecture a couple of days ago:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gddkc5Snq3I
>> "The dark history of genetics - with Adam Rutherford (2023 HBS Haldane
>> Lecture)"
>>
>> I'm a big fan of Adam Rutherford's relaxed approach to giving a lecture,
>> and how he adds a bit of personality to things. However, I have no idea
>> who HBS Haldane is.
>>
> There's a good chance H.B.S. is related to J.B.S. Haldane - forenamed
> John Burdon Sanderson, according to Ronald Clark's biography which I
> have in front of me here. I don't see any mention of H.B.S. in Chapter
> 1, which speaks of his family. There's a not very a.u.e point of
> English though: his sister

Naomi Mitchison

> is reported as saying that in the early Yeats, one can play the game
> of substituting "bottle" for "battle" in many lines where Yeats uses
> it. J.B.S. "knew masses of Yeats by heart."

He was also perhaps the only person to have enjoyed his time on the
front line during the First World War.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<l93q1lFksalU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206748&group=alt.usage.english#206748

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:07:44 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:07 UTC

On 2024-04-26 23:08:24 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 27/04/24 06:18, Phil Carmody wrote:
>> Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net> writes:
>
>>> The Wiki article describes honors taken away from Fisher's
>>> name in recent years owing to his eugenics in a long
>>> paragraph. A sentence is given to smoking.
>>
>> If we're on eugenics - I did enjoy this RI lecture a couple of days ago:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gddkc5Snq3I
>> "The dark history of genetics - with Adam Rutherford (2023 HBS Haldane
>> Lecture)"
>>
>> I'm a big fan of Adam Rutherford's relaxed approach to giving a lecture,
>> and how he adds a bit of personality to things. However, I have no idea
>> who HBS Haldane is.
>
> Haldane is well-known in several biology-related fields, in particular
> genetics.

and evolution, and enzyme catalysis, and statistics

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<l93qabFktfhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206749&group=alt.usage.english#206749

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:12:22 +0200
References: <uvu1d5$2mugm$1@paganini.bofh.team> <1qsalxs.2z2kwsig6si7N%snipeco.2@gmail.com> <5b546f9a07charles@candehope.me.uk> <l8hfveFrte3U1@mid.individual.net> <m38r17usuk.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net> <v031n4$a80d$1@dont-email.me> <l8l3jgFe18oU1@mid.individual.net> <82ua2jpkjm1alds0bjioqrj88t7j448idj@4ax.com> <87le4zandr.fsf@fatphil.org> <v0hc59$3v1l4$1@dont-email.me> <v0i408$6vfm$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:12 UTC

On 2024-04-27 05:55:20 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 27/04/2024 à 00:08, Peter Moylan a écrit :
>>
>> Haldane is well-known in several biology-related fields, in particular
>> genetics.
>
> Moved to search, I find his comments on cattle are also known in
> several fields:
>
> "The evolution of the hen is an example of the law, first pointed out
> by a group of Soviet biologists, that a domesticated animal generally
> passes through several stages of exploitation. In the first stage it is
> of no use till it is killed. The animal is merely kept to save the
> trouble of hunting it. In the second stage it is used while alive, and
> also killed. In the third stage it is only used when alive.
>
> "The pig is still entirely in the first stage. Pigs have been selected
> for rapid growth and high fertility, and for little else.

Wild boar have invaded Marseilles (and other cities in the south of
France). They pretty much keep to themselves unless provoked. They are
mainly interested in what they can get from stuff thrown away by
restaurants.

> Beef cattle, such as the Aberdeen Angus, are also in the first stage.
> But as soon as cattle are bred for milk production or for pulling carts
> or ploughs, they pass into the second stage. And in England, where we
> eat very little horseflesh, the horse is in the third stage" -
>
> <https://jbshaldane.org/books/1939-Science-and-Everyday-Life/haldane-1939-Science-and-Everyday-Life.html>

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 37 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0ilgm$arfr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206759&group=alt.usage.english#206759

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:54:13 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:54 UTC

On 27/04/24 16:56, musika wrote:
> On 27/04/2024 03:20, Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> I only saw the one, in the TV image of Bollard Man confronting
>>> Knife Man on the escalator. That's what it looked like, and the
>>> media immediately called it a "bollard".
>>
>> It would be interesting to see who was the first to name it.
>>
>> Steve's point is also valid in AusE, I believe. The main use of
>> bollards in a shopping centre is to stop ram raids, so they're
>> firmly attached to a concrete base. It's not so many years since
>> they appeared in shopping centres here; initially in front of ATMs,
>> and later in front of a few other places. Outside shopping centres,
>> they're also used
>>
>> I don't know what to call the moveable sort that's used to rope
>> off areas or to create orderly queues. I wouldn't have thought of
>> calling them bollards.
>>
> How about stanchions.

Good suggestion. It's a rarely-used word, so most people wouldn't think
of it, but it fits the requirements perfectly.

Google even has an entry for "what's the difference between a bollard
and a stanchion?"

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<6cop2j1q0q4u87u90skhq6asi41ghk2ubu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206767&group=alt.usage.english#206767

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 13:30:40 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:30 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:54:13 +1000, Peter Moylan
<peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 27/04/24 16:56, musika wrote:
>> On 27/04/2024 03:20, Peter Moylan wrote:
>>> I don't know what to call the moveable sort that's used to rope
>>> off areas or to create orderly queues. I wouldn't have thought of
>>> calling them bollards.
>>>
>> How about stanchions.
>
>Good suggestion. It's a rarely-used word, so most people wouldn't think
>of it, but it fits the requirements perfectly.
>
>Google even has an entry for "what's the difference between a bollard
>and a stanchion?"

I followed that up and found this:

"Bollards are short and thick, while stanchions are tall and slender.
As we touched on above, bollards are typically designed to withstand
the impact of a vehicle, while stanchions are designed to withstand
the impact of a person."

Stnchion-man it is.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)

<v0jels$g0gf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206814&group=alt.usage.english#206814

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
bole)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:03:40 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:03 UTC

On 2024-04-27 02:12, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-04-27 05:55:20 +0000, Hibou said:
>
>> Le 27/04/2024 à 00:08, Peter Moylan a écrit :
>>>
>>> Haldane is well-known in several biology-related fields, in
>>> particular genetics.
>>
>> Moved to search, I find his comments on cattle are also known in
>> several fields:
>>
>> "The evolution of the hen is an example of the law, first pointed out
>> by a group of Soviet biologists, that a domesticated animal generally
>> passes through several stages of exploitation. In the first stage it
>> is of no use till it is killed. The animal is merely kept to save the
>> trouble of hunting it. In the second stage it is used while alive, and
>> also killed. In the third stage it is only used when alive.
>>
>> "The pig is still entirely in the first stage. Pigs have been selected
>> for rapid growth and high fertility, and for little else.
>
> Wild boar have invaded Marseilles (and other cities in the south of
> France). They pretty much keep to themselves unless provoked. They are
> mainly interested in what they can get from stuff thrown away by
> restaurants.

They have become quite a problem in Saskatchewan, where it seems that
being within sight of them is ample provocation.

Farmers are usually pretty cognizant of the dangers of foreign species
introductions, but there were a few total idiots that tried to raise
them for food, and when that didn't work, released them.

>>  Beef cattle, such as the Aberdeen Angus, are also in the first stage.
>> But as soon as cattle are bred for milk production or for pulling
>> carts or ploughs, they pass into the second stage. And in England,
>> where we eat very little horseflesh, the horse is in the third stage" -
>>
>> <https://jbshaldane.org/books/1939-Science-and-Everyday-Life/haldane-1939-Science-and-Everyday-Life.html>

--
Dad, what does "Drive C: is being formatted mean"?

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: [bollard] What Bollard Man used in Sydney (assumed etymology from bole)