Sic transit gloria Monday!

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Initialisms or acronyms

SubjectAuthor
* Initialisms or acronymsSteve Hayes
+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsAthel Cornish-Bowden
|`- Re: Initialisms or acronymsKen Blake
+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsAdam Funk
|`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsStefan Ram
| `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsRich Ulrich
+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsHVS
|+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsAthel Cornish-Bowden
||+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsoccam
|||+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPaul Wolff
|||`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsAdam Funk
||| `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsJ. J. Lodder
||`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSteve Hayes
|| `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSam Plusnet
||  `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsJ. J. Lodder
||   `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPeter Moylan
||    +- Re: Initialisms or acronymsSam Plusnet
||    `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsJ. J. Lodder
|+- Re: Initialisms or acronymsSteve Hayes
|+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSn!pe
||`- Re: Initialisms or acronymslar3ryca
|`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPaul Wolff
| `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPeter Moylan
|  `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsCri-Cri
+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsDavid LaRue
|+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsStefan Ram
||+- Re: Initialisms or acronymsHVS
||`- Re: Initialisms or acronymsMark Brader
|`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPeter Moylan
| `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSam Plusnet
|  +* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSn!pe
|  |`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSam Plusnet
|  | `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsDavid LaRue
|  |  `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSam Plusnet
|  |   `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsBertel Lund Hansen
|  |    `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsRuud Harmsen
|  `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPeter Moylan
|   `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsAthel Cornish-Bowden
+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsBertel Lund Hansen
|`- Re: Initialisms or acronymsCri-Cri
+- Re: Initialisms or acronymsKyonshi
+- Re: Initialisms or acronymslar3ryca
+* Re: Initialisms or acronymslar3ryca
|+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsSn!pe
||`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsAdam Funk
|| `* Re: Initialisms or acronymslar3ryca
||  `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsSnidely
|+* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPeter Moylan
||`- Re: Initialisms or acronymsCri-Cri
|+- Re: Initialisms or acronymsCri-Cri
|+- Re: Initialisms or acronymsAnton Shepelev
|`- Re: Initialisms or acronymsPhil Carmody
`* Re: Initialisms or acronymsAnton Shepelev
 `* Re: Initialisms or acronymsPhil Carmody
  `- Re: Initialisms or acronymsAnton Shepelev

Pages:123
Re: Initialisms or acronyms

<20240407032502.d2015501dac1160fbe8ed721@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205376&group=alt.usage.english#205376

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: Initialisms or acronyms
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 03:25:02 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 00:25 UTC

Steve Hayes:

> A while back I was puzzled when a cousin of mine talked
> about "earls" in an inappropriate context, and it took me
> a while to realise she was treating "URL" as an acronym.

And I am not puzzled, but outright annoyed by this
malacroymisation. One of my ill-time favourites is
pronouncing `SQL' as `sequel'. The sequel to what? SQL is
no longer the Structured English QUEry Language.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Initialisms or acronyms

<20240407032735.9bc191ab5640103151416bc9@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205377&group=alt.usage.english#205377

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 03:27:35 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 00:27 UTC

lar3ryca:

> For the linuxers out there, do you pronounce the file
> 'cshrc' as

What, is `linuxoid' considered harmful?

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Initialisms or acronyms

<87h6g87t02.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205599&group=alt.usage.english#205599

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 01:27:57 +0300
sha1:rAKWjws3sNz4uCgtdDg813k3ANc=
 by: Phil Carmody - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 22:27 UTC

lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> writes:
> On 2024-04-03 06:05, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> A while back I was puzzled when a cousin of mine talked about "earls"
>> in an inappropriate context, and it took me a while to realise she was
>> treating "URL" as an acronym.
>>
>> I ran a poll on Twitter to see if anyone else did that, and 100% said
>> they pronounced URL as "you are ell".
>>
>> So I wonder if anyone else has ever heard the "earl" pronunciation, or
>> if it was just my cousin's idiolect.
>>
>> Another instance was a man I met who pronounced "UFOs" as "you foes".
>>
>> I'm running a poll in Twitter and Mastodon on that too, but I wonder
>> if anyone here has heard that pronounciation.
>
> For the linuxers out there, do you pronounce the file 'cshrc' as
> 'cashrock' or 'seashark'?

As someone who's only ever used cshrc on SunOS and Solaris, that's
a not-as-well-aimed-as-it-could-have-been question. There's more to
Unix than just Linux.

When I did have to refer to it (well over 30 years ago) I, and everyone
around me used the former, with both vowels schwaed into almost
nothingness. Anyone know any czechs, I guess they'd have a pretty good
grip on pronouncing such clusters.

I'm somewhat perturbed by the latter. You've broken it in a completely
illogical place. It's the csh's rc, not the c's shrc. Anyone pronouncing
it way I would consider some kind of poorly trained Microsoft spy.
How does Lennart Poettering pronounce it?

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: Initialisms or acronyms

<87a5m06jzk.fsf@fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205635&group=alt.usage.english#205635

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:40:15 +0300
sha1:zruI5XChCOrEPn+zDqZUlF04ULA=
 by: Phil Carmody - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:40 UTC

Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.moc> writes:
> Steve Hayes:
>> A while back I was puzzled when a cousin of mine talked
>> about "earls" in an inappropriate context, and it took me
>> a while to realise she was treating "URL" as an acronym.
>
> And I am not puzzled, but outright annoyed by this
> malacroymisation. One of my ill-time favourites is
> pronouncing `SQL' as `sequel'. The sequel to what? SQL is
> no longer the Structured English QUEry Language.

But it is. It changed its acronym purely because of a trademark issue.
Just because you drop some vowels doesn't mean you need to radically
reform its pronunciation. The new pronunciation adds new vowels, there's
nothing intrinsically purer about it. It's a change for no good reason.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast
aside childish remnants from the dawn of our civilization.
-- NotSanguine on SoylentNews, after Eugen Weber in /The Western Tradition/

Re: Initialisms or acronyms

<20240413151559.925a3c5392711e0c12bf3036@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205769&group=alt.usage.english#205769

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:15:59 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:15 UTC

Phil Carmody to Anton Shepelev:

> > And I am not puzzled, but outright annoyed by this
> > malacroymisation. One of my ill-time favourites is
> > pronouncing `SQL' as `sequel'. The sequel to what? SQL
> > is no longer the Structured English QUEry Language.
>
> But it is. It changed its acronym purely because of a
> trademark issue.

Yes, and it changed the acroym to an abbreviation.

> Just because you drop some vowels doesn't mean you need to
> radically reform its pronunciation.

This is irrelevant: nobody dropped any vowels from a word,
but rather an adjective was removed from the term, making
the previous acronym unfit to describe it. Not to mention
that it was bad to begin with, for nobody remembers the
sequel to (or improvement over) what SQL is; they say
`sequel' merely because it is less effort on the tongue.
They are not referring to any sequel! Things should be
named according to what they are, rather than to what they
supercede (cf. `Paracelsus').

Whereas, SEQL is begging to be pronounced as `sequel', but
SQL does not.

> The new pronunciation adds new vowels, there's nothing
> intrinsically purer about it. It's a change for no good
> reason.

The reason is that words should be used according to their
meaning rather than sound. For example, `SMART' in `SMART
goals' is rightly pronounced as the word `smart', for they
are: Specific, Measurable, Quantiable, Assignable, and
Realistic. In short -- smart.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Initialisms or acronyms

<uvfqdt$3fke9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205852&group=alt.usage.english#205852

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:43:25 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 05:43 UTC

On 2024-04-04 04:52, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2024-04-04, Sn!pe wrote:
>
>> lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>>> For the linuxers out there, do you pronounce the file 'cshrc' as
>>> 'cashrock' or 'seashark'?
>
> I'd probably go for 'sea-shark' or 'sea-shirk', although I normally
> use bash (cue flames).
>

>> Then, of course, there's fsck...
>
> For me that rhymes with "musk".

I pronounce it with no vowel, though I I have occasionally said it more
like "fisck".

--
A man, a plan, a canal. Suez!

Re: Initialisms or acronyms

<mn.7af37e8499d223ef.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205931&group=alt.usage.english#205931

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:35:09 -0700
 by: Snidely - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:35 UTC

Saturday, lar3ryca murmurred ...
> On 2024-04-04 04:52, Adam Funk wrote:

>> I'd probably go for 'sea-shark' or 'sea-shirk', although I normally
>> use bash (cue flames).
>>

>>> Then, of course, there's fsck...
>>
>> For me that rhymes with "musk".
>
> I pronounce it with no vowel, though I I have occasionally said it more like
> "fisck".

Does noone do fizzcheck?

-d

--