From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang,rec.puzzles
Subject: English language is badly pronounced French
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 00:09:17 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:09 UTC

i see this Post in NovaBBS but not in TB (Thunderbird)
--------- i'm seeing this pretty often lately.

Nobody responded in 6 Hours, because (i'm guessing)
many of the AUE regulars don't see the Post ???

6 Hours 7 Minutes ago By: bertietaylor

rtietaylor wrote:

> In
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUL29y0vJ8Q
> the case for the English language being badly pronounced French is
explained.
> I liked a comment in the comments section, mentioning that French is
badly pronounced Latin!

> One view of the Ukraine war is that it results from the Ukrainian
language being badly pronounced Russian.
> After from that, one may puzzle at the reason for the antagonism.
>
> Looks like the little differences are more damaging than the big
differences.

> That could explain the historical bad relations between the English
and the French after 1066. Or the violence between similar sects.

> bt

Re: English language is badly pronounced French

<uv5f3k$q96m$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=205557&group=alt.usage.english#205557

From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang,rec.puzzles
Subject: Re: English language is badly pronounced French
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 00:28:52 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:28 UTC

> i see this Post in NovaBBS  but not in TB (Thunderbird)(ES)
>                     --------- i'm seeing this pretty often lately.
>

> Nobody responded in 6 Hours, because (i'm guessing)
>                     many of the AUE regulars  don't see the Post ???
>

> 6 Hours 7 Minutes ago          By: bertietaylor
>
> rtietaylor wrote:
>
> > In
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUL29y0vJ8Q
> > the case for the English language being badly pronounced French is
> explained.
> > I liked a comment in the comments section, mentioning that French is
> badly pronounced Latin!
> >
> > One view of the Ukraine war is that it results from the Ukrainian
> language being badly pronounced Russian.
> > After from that, one may puzzle at the reason for the antagonism.
> >
> > Looks like the little differences are more damaging than the big
> differences.
> >
> > That could explain the historical bad relations between the English
> and the French after 1066. Or the violence between similar sects.
> >
> > bt

18-min clip... (it looks good)

RobWords ------ 444K subscribers

540,989 views Mar 30, 2024 #etymology #french #english

Enjoy this exploration of the French-ness of English. And join the
Lingoda Language Sprint to let your language skills bloom this
spring. Click my link and use my code ROBWORDS20 for 20€ off!
(Link deleted)

In this video I respond to the claim that English does not exist, but is
instead merely badly pronounced French.

I explain just how much the French have influenced our language, but why
it is still a distinct, Germanic language.

[English does not exist] seems to be a title of a French book.

Re: English language is badly pronounced French

<uvva2o$3eb65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=206192&group=alt.usage.english#206192

From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang,rec.puzzles
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 19:42:30 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 02:42 UTC

On 4/10/2024 12:09 AM, HenHanna wrote:

> i see this Post in NovaBBS  but not in TB (Thunderbird)
>                     --------- i'm seeing this pretty often lately.
>

> Nobody responded in 6 Hours, because (i'm guessing)
>                     many of the AUE regulars  don't see the Post ???
>

> 6 Hours 7 Minutes ago          By: bertietaylor
>
> rtietaylor wrote:
>
> > In
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUL29y0vJ8Q
> > the case for the English language being badly pronounced French is
> explained.
> > I liked a comment in the comments section, mentioning that French is
> badly pronounced Latin!
> >
> > One view of the Ukraine war is that it results from the Ukrainian
> language being badly pronounced Russian.
> > After from that, one may puzzle at the reason for the antagonism.
> >
> > Looks like the little differences are more damaging than the big
> differences.
> >
> > That could explain the historical bad relations between the English
> and the French after 1066. Or the violence between similar sects.
> >
> > bt

While the title is intentionally provocative, the book doesn't literally
claim English doesn't exist.

Here's a more nuanced understanding of the book's argument:

Historical Influence: Cerquiglini, a linguist, highlights
the significant influence of French on the development of English,
particularly after the Norman Conquest of England in 1066.

Shared Vocabulary: The book explores the vast number of
words in English with French origins, especially in areas like law,
government, and culture.

Focus on Pronunciation: Cerquiglini argues that the
pronunciation of these French-derived words has changed significantly in
English, making them seem less connected to their French roots.

The book is more of a celebration of the interconnectedness of languages
than a dismissal of English.

It emphasizes the historical and linguistic ties between French and English.