From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang,alt.english.usage
Subject: Term between friend and acquaintance (a casual friend) (Bekannte)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 22:28:27 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 05:28 UTC

Re: Term between friend and acquaintance
(a casual friend) (an old acquaintance)
(a close acquaintance) (a good acquaintance)
(a long-time acquaintance) (a great acquaintance)

Kyonshi wrote:

> Is there a term for someone between a friend and an acquaintance in
> English? We were just struggling to define someone who was definitely
> better acquainted than a mere acquaintance (my wife having known him for
> over 20 years), but still not as close as a friend would be (his wife
> being a close friend to my wife).

i don't think there's such a word in English....

(a related Jp word is Yottomo)

In English, there isn't a single perfect word that captures the space
between friend and acquaintance. However, here are some options
depending on the nuance you want to convey:

Friendly acquaintance: This is a straightforward phrase that explicitly
bridges the gap.

Associate: This implies a connection that's more than just knowing
someone by name but not quite a close friend. It can be used in work or
social contexts.

Colleague: Similar to "associate" but specifically refers to someone
you work with.
______________________________

Here are some terms that bridge the gap between friend and acquaintance:

German:

Bekannte: (bekˈannte) This is the most direct translation of
"acquaintance." However, it can also lean slightly towards "friend"
depending on the context.

Kumpel (ˈkʊmpəl): This term literally translates to "buddy" or "pal" and
implies a more casual and friendly connection than just an acquaintance.

French:

Connaissance (kɔ.nɛ.sɑ̃s) This directly translates to "acquaintance" and
is the most neutral term.

Connaissance amicale (kɔ.nɛ.sɑ̃s amiˈkal) This literally translates to
"friendly acquaintance" and suggests a step closer to friendship than a
simple "connaissance."

Spanish:

Conocido/a (ko.noˈθi.ðo/a) This translates to "acquaintance" and is the
most general term.

Conocido/a casual (ko.noˈθi.ðo/a kaˈswal) This literally translates to
"casual acquaintance" and emphasizes a less close connection.

Conocido/a simpático/a (ko.noˈθi.ðo/a simˈpa.ti.ko/a)
This translates to "friendly acquaintance" and suggests a more
positive and potentially evolving relationship.

Japanese:

知り合い (shiriai) This translates to "acquaintance" and is the most
common term.

友達予備軍 (tomodachi yobigun) This literally translates to "friend
reserve army" and is a playful term for someone who could potentially
become a friend.

浅い知り合い (akai shiriai) This translates to "shallow acquaintance"
and emphasizes a less developed connection.