If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: sharpened his finger

SubjectAuthor
* sharpened his fingerRich Ulrich
+* Re: sharpened his fingerHibou
|+- Re: sharpened his fingerPeter Moylan
|`* Re: sharpened his fingerHVS
| `* Re: sharpened his fingerRich Ulrich
|  `* Re: sharpened his fingerlar3ryca
|   `* Re: sharpened his fingermusika
|    +- Re: sharpened his fingerRich Ulrich
|    `* Re: sharpened his fingerlar3ryca
|     `* Re: sharpened his fingerRich Ulrich
|      `* Re: sharpened his fingerMadhu
|       `* Re: sharpened his fingerRich Ulrich
|        `- Re: sharpened his fingerbil...@shaw.ca
`* Re: sharpened his fingerJerry Friedman
 `* Re: sharpened his fingerRich Ulrich
  `- Re: sharpened his fingerBCD

1
sharpened his finger

<30luqi96roov5b75l71p6hb625qbq5dqmj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202042&group=alt.usage.english#202042

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: sharpened his finger
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 01:03:27 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 06:03 UTC

I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to clue
'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed with
a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]

After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
but had NO books with the phrase.

Does everyone know what this describes? No one?

(Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
pointing finger.)

Does this still happen? Did it ever happen that you know of?

Is there some other phrase that people use to describe it?

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: sharpened his finger

<uonmap$15mnq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202044&group=alt.usage.english#202044

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: sharpened his finger
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 06:28:41 +0000
 by: Hibou - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 06:28 UTC

Le 23/01/2024 à 06:03, Rich Ulrich a écrit :
> I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to clue
> 'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
> 'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed with
> a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]
>
> After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
> ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
> either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
> but had NO books with the phrase.
>
> Does everyone know what this describes? No one?
>
> (Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
> a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
> pointing finger.)

New to me. I haven't heard the expression or seen the action.

> Does this still happen? Did it ever happen that you know of?
>
> Is there some other phrase that people use to describe it?

Re: sharpened his finger

<uonn1j$15s1u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202046&group=alt.usage.english#202046

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:40:49 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 06:40 UTC

On 23/01/24 17:28, Hibou wrote:
> Le 23/01/2024 à 06:03, Rich Ulrich a écrit :
>> I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to clue
>> 'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
>> 'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed with
>> a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]
>>
>> After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
>> ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
>> either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
>> but had NO books with the phrase.
>>
>> Does everyone know what this describes? No one?
>>
>> (Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
>> a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
>> pointing finger.)
>
> New to me. I haven't heard the expression or seen the action.

Also new to me.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: sharpened his finger

<XnsB1029ECE5978Ewhhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202066&group=alt.usage.english#202066

From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:36:40 GMT
 by: HVS - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:36 UTC

On 23 Jan 2024, Hibou wrote

> Le 23/01/2024 à 06:03, Rich Ulrich a écrit :
>> I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to
clue
>> 'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
>> 'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed
with
>> a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]
>>
>> After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
>> ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
>> either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
>> but had NO books with the phrase.
>>
>> Does everyone know what this describes? No one?
>>
>> (Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
>> a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
>> pointing finger.)
>
> New to me. I haven't heard the expression or seen the action.

I haven't heard the expression, but WIWAL holding out one index
finger, then placing the other index finger across it and moving it
along the first, meant "shame on you".

A quick google confirms that the gesture is used by or with children,
and is apparently limited to North America.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: sharpened his finger

<56c34f74-caca-4bf6-afc5-8d8ba9d07850n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202067&group=alt.usage.english#202067

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:20:39 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.fr...@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:20 UTC

On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 11:03:41 PM UTC-7, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to clue
> 'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
> 'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed with
> a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]
>
> After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
> ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
> either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
> but had NO books with the phrase.
>
> Does everyone know what this describes? No one?
>
> (Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
> a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
> pointing finger.)
>
> Does this still happen?

I don't know.

>Did it ever happen that you know of?

Common in my childhood. I'm sure I used it and saw it used jocularly
among young adults.
> Is there some other phrase that people use to describe it?

Not that I know of. I learned the phrase some years after I learned
the gesture.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: sharpened his finger

<3of0ritggib2qf0p8ofch65bumhv95s2rh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202082&group=alt.usage.english#202082

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:38:26 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 22:38 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:36:40 GMT, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 23 Jan 2024, Hibou wrote
>
>> Le 23/01/2024 à 06:03, Rich Ulrich a écrit :
>>> I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to
>clue
>>> 'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
>>> 'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed
>with
>>> a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]
>>>
>>> After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
>>> ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
>>> either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
>>> but had NO books with the phrase.
>>>
>>> Does everyone know what this describes? No one?
>>>
>>> (Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
>>> a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
>>> pointing finger.)
>>
>> New to me. I haven't heard the expression or seen the action.
>
>I haven't heard the expression, but WIWAL holding out one index
>finger, then placing the other index finger across it and moving it
>along the first, meant "shame on you".

Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to describe.

>A quick google confirms that the gesture is used by or with children,
>and is apparently limited to North America.

Looking at images for "shame on you" gets me a few pointed
fingers -- but not sharpening. How did you confirm the gesture
from Google? (Or, limited to North America?)

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: sharpened his finger

<54g0rilvcs2v55fmta6762m9huj3sb0t8n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202083&group=alt.usage.english#202083

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:44:39 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 22:44 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:20:39 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
<jerry.friedman99@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 11:03:41?PM UTC-7, Rich Ulrich wrote:
>> I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to clue
>> 'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
>> 'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed with
>> a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]
>>
>> After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
>> ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
>> either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
>> but had NO books with the phrase.
>>
>> Does everyone know what this describes? No one?
>>
>> (Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
>> a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
>> pointing finger.)
>>
>> Does this still happen?
>
>I don't know.
>
>>Did it ever happen that you know of?
>
>Common in my childhood. I'm sure I used it and saw it used jocularly
>among young adults.

Yes, I think it was common in my childhood, too. I'm not
sure that there was ever a name given to it at that time ...

>> Is there some other phrase that people use to describe it?
>
>Not that I know of. I learned the phrase some years after I learned
>the gesture.

... the phrase probably came later for me, too. I seem to hear
in my head, someone protesting, "Don't sharpen your finger at ME!"
And that might be when I got a name for it, since it stuck.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: sharpened his finger

<uos19d$1vmlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202127&group=alt.usage.english#202127

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:00:12 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:00 UTC

On 2024-01-23 16:38, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:36:40 GMT, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> wrote:

>> clue
>> with

>>> New to me. I haven't heard the expression or seen the action.
>>
>> I haven't heard the expression, but WIWAL holding out one index
>> finger, then placing the other index finger across it and moving it
>> along the first, meant "shame on you".
>
> Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to describe.
>

>> A quick google confirms that the gesture is used by or with children,
>> and is apparently limited to North America.
>
> Looking at images for "shame on you" gets me a few pointed
> fingers -- but not sharpening. How did you confirm the gesture
> from Google? (Or, limited to North America?)

Could be just North American. I am familiar with the gesture, and know
that it means "shame on you".

--
Canada. Leading the world in being north of the USA.

Re: sharpened his finger

<eXgsN.677681$3SP6.168248@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202129&group=alt.usage.english#202129

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: mUs...@NOSPAMexcite.com (musika)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 23:20:41 +0000
 by: musika - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 23:20 UTC

On 24/01/2024 22:00, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2024-01-23 16:38, Rich Ulrich wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:36:40 GMT, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 23 Jan 2024, Hibou wrote

>>> clue
>>> with

>>> I haven't heard the expression, but WIWAL holding out one index
>>> finger, then placing the other index finger across it and moving it
>>> along the first, meant "shame on you".
>>
>> Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to describe.
>>

>>> A quick google confirms that the gesture is used by or with children,
>>> and is apparently limited to North America.
>>
>> Looking at images for "shame on you" gets me a few pointed
>> fingers -- but not sharpening.  How did you confirm the gesture
>> from Google? (Or, limited to North America?)
>
> Could be just North American. I am familiar with the gesture, and know
> that it means "shame on you".

This.

<https://eppylover.livejournal.com/576785.html>

--
Ray
UK

Re: sharpened his finger

<fs83ri9vh1ul9ghj5f84e0ujnof5nsd2sq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202130&group=alt.usage.english#202130

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 19:04:01 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 00:04 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 23:20:41 +0000, musika <mUs1Ka@NOSPAMexcite.com>
wrote:

>On 24/01/2024 22:00, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2024-01-23 16:38, Rich Ulrich wrote:

>>> Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to describe.

>>> Looking at images for "shame on you" gets me a few pointed
>>> fingers -- but not sharpening.  How did you confirm the gesture
>>> from Google? (Or, limited to North America?)
>>
>> Could be just North American. I am familiar with the gesture, and know
>> that it means "shame on you".
>>
>This.
>
><https://eppylover.livejournal.com/576785.html>

Thanks! Interesting. From the descriptions, there are several
variations of the 'forefinger rub.'

Yes, according to Desmond Morris (1994:94-5), the gesture
(forefingers rub) means "shame," and is restricted to North America.
The rubbing of the two forefingers is thought to symbolize friction.
There's a related gesture (forefingers scrape) from Wales, Germany,
and Austria, in which one finger "saws" across the pointed other
one. The latter is considered an insult, again with the friction
message coming though.
The origin of both of these gestures is unknown. The closest sign in
The Nonverbal Dictionary is the entry for "Point." In the forefinger
rub, the scraped digit may be pointed at the guilty party."

Desmond Morris never impressed me. Not here, either.

I followed the link to the Google discussion. The final post there
was from 2004,

Experts quoted say:
the gesture is restricted to North America, and the origin is
unknown.
But I know that it is common in Eastern Europe as well.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: sharpened his finger

<uos9g6$20or4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202131&group=alt.usage.english#202131

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:20:21 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 00:20 UTC

On 2024-01-24 17:20, musika wrote:
> On 24/01/2024 22:00, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2024-01-23 16:38, Rich Ulrich wrote:

>>> Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to describe.

>>> Looking at images for "shame on you" gets me a few pointed
>>> fingers -- but not sharpening.  How did you confirm the gesture
>>> from Google? (Or, limited to North America?)
>>
>> Could be just North American. I am familiar with the gesture, and know
>> that it means "shame on you".
>>
> This.
>
> <https://eppylover.livejournal.com/576785.html>

It may be just a limitation of the animation, but it looks like the
right index finger is contacting the left one when moving in both
directions. When I (and several friends) did it as children, it was more
like carving a point on a stick; right finger contacting the left when
moving from knuckle to fingernail, then lifting and brought back toward
the knuckle.

It was usually accompanied with a forward tilting head, eyes toward the
target, as if you were scraping something of the left finger and sending
it to the target.

--
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

Re: sharpened his finger

<u8l6ri1b9c9pqkkp1nfg7f8nb8vn57olc5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202147&group=alt.usage.english#202147

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 01:54:44 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:54 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:20:21 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:

>On 2024-01-24 17:20, musika wrote:

>>> Could be just North American. I am familiar with the gesture, and know
>>> that it means "shame on you".
>>>
>> This.
>>
>> <https://eppylover.livejournal.com/576785.html>
>
>It may be just a limitation of the animation, but it looks like the
>right index finger is contacting the left one when moving in both
>directions. When I (and several friends) did it as children, it was more
>like carving a point on a stick; right finger contacting the left when
>moving from knuckle to fingernail, then lifting and brought back toward
>the knuckle.
>
>It was usually accompanied with a forward tilting head, eyes toward the
>target, as if you were scraping something of the left finger and sending
>it to the target.

Yes, 'scraping' is what matches my 'sharpening' but what the
citation calls 'forefinger rubbing' apparently includes several
versions. Including, sawing across the finger.

I think I might vaguely recall 'correcting' someone way back
then, when I saw them not-lifting the forefinger when it was
brought back toward the knuckle.

Anyways. I conclude that the gesture has not been widespread
enough to be standardized. Or really widely known.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: sharpened his finger

<m37cjwv4my.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202148&group=alt.usage.english#202148

From: enom...@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:43:41 +0530
sha1:moqxdoO3n2wE/UTt+5R6iF3TDBg=
 by: Madhu - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:13 UTC

* Rich Ulrich <u8l6ri1b9c9pqkkp1nfg7f8nb8vn57olc5 @4ax.com> :
Wrote on Fri, 26 Jan 2024 01:54:44 -0500:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:20:21 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:
>>On 2024-01-24 17:20, musika wrote:
>>It may be just a limitation of the animation, but it looks like the
>>right index finger is contacting the left one when moving in both
>>directions. When I (and several friends) did it as children, it was
>>more like carving a point on a stick; right finger contacting the left
>>when moving from knuckle to fingernail, then lifting and brought back
>>toward the knuckle.
>>
>>It was usually accompanied with a forward tilting head, eyes toward
>>the target, as if you were scraping something of the left finger and
>>sending it to the target.
>
> Yes, 'scraping' is what matches my 'sharpening' but what the citation
> calls 'forefinger rubbing' apparently includes several
> versions. Including, sawing across the finger.
>
> I think I might vaguely recall 'correcting' someone way back
> then, when I saw them not-lifting the forefinger when it was
> brought back toward the knuckle.
>
> Anyways. I conclude that the gesture has not been widespread
> enough to be standardized. Or really widely known.

I have a memory from school (india) of a rude gesture that simulates the
sharpening of a pencil -- this was when classrooms had a mehanical
pencil sharpener (that is operated by a holding the pencil in place in
the hole with your left hand and turning the lever with the other).
when i first read your description i imagined was something like this,
--- or sticking the left forefinger into fist made out of the right palm
and screwing it. (I think it was just a silly gesture, if it meant
anything in dumb-charades I've forgotten)

Re: sharpened his finger

<a3r7ri531n9coeabc3qv6ah62j3kj01j2k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202152&group=alt.usage.english#202152

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:40:29 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:40 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:43:41 +0530, Madhu <enometh@meer.net> wrote:

>* Rich Ulrich <u8l6ri1b9c9pqkkp1nfg7f8nb8vn57olc5 @4ax.com> :
>Wrote on Fri, 26 Jan 2024 01:54:44 -0500:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:20:21 -0600, lar3ryca <larry@invalid.ca> wrote:
>>>On 2024-01-24 17:20, musika wrote:
>>>It may be just a limitation of the animation, but it looks like the
>>>right index finger is contacting the left one when moving in both
>>>directions. When I (and several friends) did it as children, it was
>>>more like carving a point on a stick; right finger contacting the left
>>>when moving from knuckle to fingernail, then lifting and brought back
>>>toward the knuckle.
>>>
>>>It was usually accompanied with a forward tilting head, eyes toward
>>>the target, as if you were scraping something of the left finger and
>>>sending it to the target.
>>
>> Yes, 'scraping' is what matches my 'sharpening' but what the citation
>> calls 'forefinger rubbing' apparently includes several
>> versions. Including, sawing across the finger.
>>
>> I think I might vaguely recall 'correcting' someone way back
>> then, when I saw them not-lifting the forefinger when it was
>> brought back toward the knuckle.
>>
>> Anyways. I conclude that the gesture has not been widespread
>> enough to be standardized. Or really widely known.
>
>I have a memory from school (india) of a rude gesture that simulates the
>sharpening of a pencil -- this was when classrooms had a mehanical
>pencil sharpener (that is operated by a holding the pencil in place in
>the hole with your left hand and turning the lever with the other).

I remember the classroom pencil sharpener, usually near the door.
You COULD start out with a long pencil and keep turning until you
had only a nub. I don't remember any gesture derived from using it ...

>when i first read your description i imagined was something like this,
>--- or sticking the left forefinger into fist made out of the right palm
>and screwing it. (I think it was just a silly gesture, if it meant
>anything in dumb-charades I've forgotten)

I also remember the personal pencil sharpeners that were held
in one hand while twisting the pencil against its fixed razor. (I
don't remember what happened to the shavings. "Sharpening his
finger" could certainly be used to describe that.

If I saw a gesture aping that (and I may have), I probably took
it as a message to someone, "You're screwed."

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: sharpened his finger

<20239db1-91db-44fd-a0a6-db447c7c6448n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202423&group=alt.usage.english#202423

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:22:52 -0800 (PST)
From: bill...@shaw.ca (bil...@shaw.ca)
 by: bil...@shaw.ca - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 07:22 UTC

On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 9:40:43 AM UTC-8, Rich Ulrich wrote:

> I also remember the personal pencil sharpeners that were held
> in one hand while twisting the pencil against its fixed razor. (I
> don't remember what happened to the shavings.

The shavings came out of the bottom of the thing you held in the hand that didn't
have the pencil in it. The shavings would drop to the table, unless you had a more
expensive version with a reservoir attached for the shavings. Or a piece of newsprint
on the table to catch the shavings.

bill

Re: sharpened his finger

<ur92pd$asab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203305&group=alt.usage.english#203305

From: piltdo...@verizon.net (BCD)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:18:06 -0800
 by: BCD - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 03:18 UTC

On 1/23/2024 2:44 PM, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:20:39 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
> <jerry.friedman99@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 11:03:41?PM UTC-7, Rich Ulrich wrote:
>>> I wrote this in description of a fellow acting out a charade to clue
>>> 'criticize' -- "He sharpened his finger." [Then he chopped the
>>> 'criticize' to 'critic' and did Innocence for Pure, to succeed with
>>> a very fast solution to Book title: Critique of Pure Reason.]
>>>
>>> After it occurred to me that I had not heard this phrase since
>>> ages ago, I found out that Mr Google did not much know it,
>>> either. Google-ngrams gave sparse hits with the wildcard search
>>> but had NO books with the phrase.
>>>
>>> Does everyone know what this describes? No one?
>>>
>>> (Point an index finger to blame; move the other index finger in
>>> a motion as if it were a knife being used to sharpen the
>>> pointing finger.)
>>>
>>> Does this still happen?
>>
>> I don't know.
>>
>>> Did it ever happen that you know of?
>>
>> Common in my childhood. I'm sure I used it and saw it used jocularly
>> among young adults.
>
> Yes, I think it was common in my childhood, too. I'm not
> sure that there was ever a name given to it at that time ...
>

>>> Is there some other phrase that people use to describe it?
>>
>> Not that I know of. I learned the phrase some years after I learned
>> the gesture.
>
> ... the phrase probably came later for me, too. I seem to hear
> in my head, someone protesting, "Don't sharpen your finger at ME!"
> And that might be when I got a name for it, since it stuck.

I had never run across the "sharpen your finger" expression. From
schoolyard days, I'm familiar with the gesture, which was always
accompanied by a contemptuous, "Chop on you!"

Best Wishes,

--BCD

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: sharpened his finger