Learn from other people's mistakes, you don't have time to make your own.

interests / alt.usage.english / Overground politics

SubjectAuthor
* Overground politicsHibou
+* Re: Overground politicsAthel Cornish-Bowden
|+- Re: Overground politicsJerry Friedman
|`- Re: Overground politicslar3ryca
+* Re: Overground politicsBlueshirt
|`* Re: Overground politicsHibou
| `- Re: Overground politicsSam Plusnet
+- Re: Overground politicsPeter Moylan
`* Re: Overground politicsoccam
 +* Re: Overground politicsHibou
 |+* Re: Overground politicsKerr-Mudd, John
 ||`- Re: Overground politicsHibou
 |`- Re: Overground politicsbil...@shaw.ca
 +* Re: Overground politicsSam Plusnet
 |+* Re: Overground politicsKerr-Mudd, John
 ||`* Re: Overground politicsMark Brader
 || `* Re: Overground politicsKen Blake
 ||  `- Re: Overground politicsAthel Cornish-Bowden
 |`* Re: Overground politicsPeter Moylan
 | +* Re: Overground politicsoccam
 | |`- Re: Overground politicsPeter Moylan
 | +- Re: Overground politicsSam Plusnet
 | +- Re: Overground politicsAthel Cornish-Bowden
 | `* Re: Overground politicsKerr-Mudd, John
 |  `* Re: Overground politicsPeter Moylan
 |   `- Re: Overground politicsSam Plusnet
 `* Re: Overground politicsMark Brader
  +* Re: Overground politicsoccam
  |+* Re: Overground politicsHibou
  ||`* Re: Overground politicsoccam
  || `* Re: Overground politicsHibou
  ||  `* Re: Overground politicsoccam
  ||   `* Re: Overground politicsHibou
  ||    `* Re: Overground politicsKerr-Mudd, John
  ||     `- Re: Overground politicsHibou
  |`- Re: Overground politicsSam Plusnet
  `- Re: Overground politicsHibou

Pages:12
Overground politics

<uqlg8f$3d78s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203027&group=alt.usage.english#203027

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Overground politics
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:05:18 +0000
 by: Hibou - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:05 UTC

'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>

I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
- these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way of
naming lines, in the Underground, for instance. There is nothing
political - overtly anyway - about Circle Line, Northern Line, District
Line, or (my one-time commuting route, the dear old) Central Line. These
are neutral names. Jubilee Line - well, yes, I think I had qualm about
that at the time, being only a part-time monarchist¹.

Applying these names to London's heavy rail network will cost ~£6.3
million², and it's happening - as one might guess from the choices -
under a Labour mayor. I suppose the intention is to insinuate the words
Windrush, suffragette, etc. into daily discourse.

Sounds sleekit³ to me.

The practice is not new of course. Leningrad, New York (named after the
Duke of York), Ho Chi Minh City.... I imagine there are quite a few
Kitchener Roads etc., and there are plenty of George Streets. And
perhaps it's ineffective; perhaps it wears the names out, new
associations overriding the old. How many millions pass through Charles
de Gaulle Airport and use its name without giving any thought at all to
the man himself? How many New Yorkers think of the /Dook/?

There. I feel better now.

¹Only when I contemplate the alternatives.
²I suppose it would cost the same whatever names were chosen, perhaps a
bit less if the names were shorter.
³Sneaky.

Re: Overground politics

<l3718sF62kpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203031&group=alt.usage.english#203031

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Overground politics
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:51:24 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:51 UTC

On 2024-02-15 17:05:18 +0000, Hibou said:

> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
>
> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
> - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way
> of naming lines, in the Underground, for instance. There is nothing
> political - overtly anyway - about Circle Line, Northern Line,

A good line for the line that extends further south than any other.

> District Line, or (my one-time commuting route, the dear old) Central
> Line. These are neutral names. Jubilee Line - well, yes, I think I had
> qualm about that at the time, being only a part-time monarchist¹.
>
> Applying these names to London's heavy rail network will cost ~£6.3 million²,

~£6.3 million ?! What are they planning to do with the £6.3 million
that it brings in? Or was that minus sign supposed to be an
approximately equal sign?

> and it's happening - as one might guess from the choices - under a
> Labour mayor. I suppose the intention is to insinuate the words
> Windrush, suffragette, etc. into daily discourse.
>
> Sounds sleekit³ to me.
>
> The practice is not new of course. Leningrad, New York (named after the
> Duke of York), Ho Chi Minh City.... I imagine there are quite a few
> Kitchener Roads etc., and there are plenty of George Streets.

Every city and town in Spain used to have an Avenida del Generalísimo
Francisco Franco, but I think they're all gone now. Nueva Providencia
in Santiago (de Chile, not de Compostela or de Cuba) was called Onze de
septiembre (not the same onze de septiembre that citizens of the USA
will think of) for a while (you can guess which while).

> And perhaps it's ineffective; perhaps it wears the names out, new
> associations overriding the old.

Web of Science, which used to be called Science Citation Index, was
founded by Eugene Garfield, who commented, more than once, that
scientists like Darwin and Einstein tended to be cited less often that
one might guess, because everyone knew about their work.

> How many millions pass through Charles de Gaulle Airport

French people often call it Roissy, to the bemusement of everyone else.

> and use its name without giving any thought at all to the man himself?
> How many New Yorkers think of the /Dook/?
>
> There. I feel better now.
>

> ¹Only when I contemplate the alternatives.

I was going to say something equivalent.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Overground politics

<xn0oi435pi79qj1001@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203035&group=alt.usage.english#203035

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:23:59 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:23 UTC

Hibou wrote:

> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
>
> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush
> Line - these are politically charged names, quite different to the
> old way of naming lines, in the Underground, for instance. There
> is nothing political - overtly anyway - about Circle Line,
> Northern Line, District Line, or (my one-time commuting route, the
> dear old) Central Line. These are neutral names. Jubilee Line -
> well, yes, I think I had qualm about that at the time, being only
> a part-time monarchist¹.
>
> Applying these names to London's heavy rail network will cost
> ~£6.3 million², and it's happening - as one might guess from the
> choices - under a Labour mayor. I suppose the intention is to
> insinuate the words Windrush, suffragette, etc. into daily
> discourse.

£6m to give names to six rail lines seems a bit excessive. Will the
lines having their own identity bring that much revenue to TfL? Is
it all about helping people to get around London easier or is it
just a committee wanting to look trendy and 'right-on'?

Personally I think the London Overground lines should have been
named according to what the line is, does or goes. Plus, some of
them are a bit of a mouthful.

Re: Overground politics

<37cbb133-9d0b-4e50-b0c7-fb22308ef841n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203038&group=alt.usage.english#203038

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:48:31 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.fr...@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:48 UTC

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 10:51:30 AM UTC-7, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> Nueva Providencia
> in Santiago (de Chile, not de Compostela or de Cuba) was called Onze de
> septiembre (not the same onze de septiembre that citizens of the USA
> will think of) for a while (you can guess which while).

Spelled "once" in Spanish, though given the history of Spanish spelling,
it might have been "onze" once.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Overground politics

<uqluvi$3fpln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203047&group=alt.usage.english#203047

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:16:34 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:16 UTC

On 2024-02-15 11:51, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-02-15 17:05:18 +0000, Hibou said:
>
>> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
>>
>> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush
>> Line - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old
>> way of naming lines, in the Underground, for instance. There is
>> nothing political - overtly anyway - about Circle Line, Northern Line,
>
> A good line for the line that extends further south than any other.
>
>>  District Line, or (my one-time commuting route, the dear old) Central
>> Line. These are neutral names. Jubilee Line - well, yes, I think I had
>> qualm about that at the time, being only a part-time monarchist¹.
>>
>> Applying these names to London's heavy rail network will cost ~£6.3
>> million²,
>
> ~£6.3 million ?! What are they planning to do with the £6.3 million that
> it brings in? Or was that minus sign supposed to be an approximately
> equal sign?

That thar weren't never no minus sign.
That were a twiddle, dontcha know?

Font problem? Monitor problem? Eye problem?

--
What do you call a fish without an eye?
Fsh.

Re: Overground politics

<uqm1r7$3gbvr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203052&group=alt.usage.english#203052

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 09:05:25 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 22:05 UTC

On 16/02/24 04:05, Hibou wrote:

> The practice is not new of course. Leningrad, New York (named after
> the Duke of York), Ho Chi Minh City.... I imagine there are quite a
> few Kitchener Roads etc., and there are plenty of George Streets. And
> perhaps it's ineffective; perhaps it wears the names out, new
> associations overriding the old. How many millions pass through
> Charles de Gaulle Airport and use its name without giving any thought
> at all to the man himself? How many New Yorkers think of the /Dook/?

A difficulty with politically chosen names is that there can come a day
when they're seen as politically incorrect.

We recently had an argument in my area about the name of Black Ned's
Bay, although I don't know whether it's yet been renamed. The man who
lived there long ago was called Black Ned because he was a coal miner,
and always had a black face, but people don't remember that sort of detail.

There are even rumblings about the name of the City of Lake Macquarie,
where I live, because it's now clear that in 1816 Governor Macquarie
gave orders that led to the massacre of lots of indigenous people. That,
in many people's mind, outweighs the good things he did.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Overground politics

<uqn095$3o9h7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203059&group=alt.usage.english#203059

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 06:44:53 +0000
 by: Hibou - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 06:44 UTC

Le 15/02/2024 à 19:23, Blueshirt a écrit :
> Hibou wrote:
>>
>> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
>>
>> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush
>> Line - these are politically charged names, quite different to the
>> old way of naming lines, in the Underground, for instance. There
>> is nothing political - overtly anyway - about Circle Line,
>> Northern Line, District Line, or (my one-time commuting route, the
>> dear old) Central Line. These are neutral names. Jubilee Line -
>> well, yes, I think I had qualm about that at the time, being only
>> a part-time monarchist¹.
>>
>> Applying these names to London's heavy rail network will cost
>> ~£6.3 million², and it's happening - as one might guess from the
>> choices - under a Labour mayor. I suppose the intention is to
>> insinuate the words Windrush, suffragette, etc. into daily
>> discourse.
>
> £6m to give names to six rail lines seems a bit excessive. Will the
> lines having their own identity bring that much revenue to TfL? Is
> it all about helping people to get around London easier or is it
> just a committee wanting to look trendy and 'right-on'?

I think it's well known that fresh paint and a Mayor-of-London logo
makes public transport run better.

> Personally I think the London Overground lines should have been
> named according to what the line is, does or goes. Plus, some of
> them are a bit of a mouthful.

Re: Overground politics

<l38qgdFgavjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203066&group=alt.usage.english#203066

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:08:13 +0100
 by: occam - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:08 UTC

On 15/02/2024 18:05, Hibou wrote:
> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
>
> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
> - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way of
> naming lines,

Their old (informal) designation was - I understand - the 'Ginger Line'.
It could have been worse. They could have named them after politicians
e.g. Sadiq line, Thatcher line,
etc.

in the Underground, for instance. There is nothing
> political - overtly anyway - about Circle Line, Northern Line, District
> Line, or (my one-time commuting route, the dear old) Central Line. These
> are neutral names. Jubilee Line - well, yes, I think I had qualm about
> that at the time, being only a part-time monarchist¹.
>
> Applying these names to London's heavy rail network will cost ~£6.3
> million², and it's happening - as one might guess from the choices -
> under a Labour mayor. I suppose the intention is to insinuate the words
> Windrush, suffragette, etc. into daily discourse.

I do not think £6.3 million is excessive. New underground signs in every
station to reflect the new colours; new printed maps - for the platforms
of *every station in the network*; new printed maps inside the trains;
signs at the entrance of stations, plus street pointing to a station.
It all adds up.

The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
'Suffragetts', 'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.

P.S. I noticed a 'disabled' sign on the majority of the new stations
shown on the map. It makes the map look like it is suffering from a case
of the measles. I wonder how quickly these will become redundant ?
Everyone will assume disabled access as standard in every station.

<snip>

> ¹Only when I contemplate the alternatives.
> ²I suppose it would cost the same whatever names were chosen, perhaps a
> bit less if the names were shorter.
> ³Sneaky.

Re: Overground politics

<uqnfh9$3qsji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203072&group=alt.usage.english#203072

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:05:12 +0000
 by: Hibou - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:05 UTC

Le 16/02/2024 à 10:08, occam a écrit :
> On 15/02/2024 18:05, Hibou wrote:
>>
>> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
>>
>> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
>> - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way of
>> naming lines,
>
> Their old (informal) designation was - I understand - the 'Ginger Line'.
> It could have been worse. They could have named them after politicians
> e.g. Sadiq line, Thatcher line,
> etc.

Yes, indeed. There's scope for naming and shaming.

Here, the SNP Government made sure that two new ferries for the Islands,
the Glen Sannox and the Glen Rosa, would be built in Scotland. They are
hugely late and hugely over budget (one has just started sea trials,
which was meant to happen in 2018). The last I read, although they are
meant to run on either diesel or LNG, which is greener, nothing had been
done about shore facilities for fuelling them with LNG.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_of_MV_Glen_Sannox_and_MV_Glen_Rosa>

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-68183252>
and many many other articles.

There's a fishy smell to this scandal, and I think I'd smile on any
proposal to rename them 'Sturgeon' and 'Salmond'.

Re: Overground politics

<20240216163253.24e68dc1c7ee17c0c3fb4588@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203078&group=alt.usage.english#203078

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:32:53 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:32 UTC

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:05:12 +0000
Hibou <vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Le 16/02/2024 à 10:08, occam a écrit :
> > On 15/02/2024 18:05, Hibou wrote:
> >>
> >> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
> >> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
> >>
> >> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
> >> - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way of
> >> naming lines,
> >
> > Their old (informal) designation was - I understand - the 'Ginger Line'.
> > It could have been worse. They could have named them after politicians
> > e.g. Sadiq line, Thatcher line,
> > etc.
>
> Yes, indeed. There's scope for naming and shaming.
>
> Here, the SNP Government made sure that two new ferries for the Islands,
> the Glen Sannox and the Glen Rosa, would be built in Scotland. They are
> hugely late and hugely over budget (one has just started sea trials,
> which was meant to happen in 2018). The last I read, although they are
> meant to run on either diesel or LNG, which is greener, nothing had been
> done about shore facilities for fuelling them with LNG.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_of_MV_Glen_Sannox_and_MV_Glen_Rosa>
>
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-68183252>
> and many many other articles.
>
> There's a fishy smell to this scandal, and I think I'd smile on any
> proposal to rename them 'Sturgeon' and 'Salmond'.

AIUI there was an edict about 20 years ago that all BR (dunno about
Underground) Stations had to be disabled accessible (correct phrase?) by
2015 or somesuch - BR had to apply for an extension. There's well OTT
ramp at Welshpool to get over the bypass (that uses the old railway line
in front of the old station!)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QMfycvbPb2asZYi66

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Overground politics

<FvNzN.16662$ps1.1647@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203081&group=alt.usage.english#203081

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:07:33 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:07 UTC

On 16-Feb-24 6:44, Hibou wrote:
> Le 15/02/2024 à 19:23, Blueshirt a écrit :
>> Hibou wrote:
>>>
>>> 'London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed' -
>>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483>
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush
>>> Line - these are politically charged names, quite different to the
>>> old way of naming lines, in the Underground, for instance. There
>>> is nothing political - overtly anyway - about Circle Line,
>>> Northern Line, District Line, or (my one-time commuting route, the
>>> dear old) Central Line. These are neutral names. Jubilee Line -
>>> well, yes, I think I had qualm about that at the time, being only
>>> a part-time monarchist¹.
>>>
>>> Applying these names to London's heavy rail network will cost
>>> ~£6.3 million², and it's happening - as one might guess from the
>>> choices - under a Labour mayor. I suppose the intention is to
>>> insinuate the words Windrush, suffragette, etc. into daily
>>> discourse.
>>
>> £6m to give names to six rail lines seems a bit excessive. Will the
>> lines having their own identity bring that much revenue to TfL? Is
>> it all about helping people to get around London easier or is it
>> just a committee wanting to look trendy and 'right-on'?
>
> I think it's well known that fresh paint and a Mayor-of-London logo
> makes public transport run better.

Don't forget to put some shrubbery on a bridge.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Overground politics

<TyNzN.16663$ps1.13825@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203082&group=alt.usage.english#203082

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:10:59 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:10 UTC

On 16-Feb-24 10:08, occam wrote:

> The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
> correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
> 'Suffragetts', 'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
> No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.

Maybe not. No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
evident need.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Overground politics

<20240216194325.ed1c60ca061240da3985563e@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203083&group=alt.usage.english#203083

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 19:43:25 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 19:43 UTC

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:10:59 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 16-Feb-24 10:08, occam wrote:
> >
> > The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
> > correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
> > 'Suffragetts', 'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
> > No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.
>
> Maybe not. No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
> evident need.

It's a rule of thumb that the oldest pub in a village (remember when there
were several pubs in villages?) is^w was called 'The New Inn'.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Overground politics

<uqoo25$22f8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203094&group=alt.usage.english#203094

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 09:36:53 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 22:36 UTC

On 17/02/24 05:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 16-Feb-24 10:08, occam wrote:
>>
>> The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
>> correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
>> 'Suffragetts', 'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
>> No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.
>
> Maybe not. No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
> evident need.

My city of Newcastle doesn't even have a castle.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Overground politics

<l3a7k6Fo1mlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203097&group=alt.usage.english#203097

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 23:58:15 +0100
 by: occam - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 22:58 UTC

On 16/02/2024 23:36, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 17/02/24 05:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 16-Feb-24 10:08, occam wrote:
>>>
>>> The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
>>> correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
>>> 'Suffragetts',  'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
>>> No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.
>>
>> Maybe not.  No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
>> evident need.
>
> My city of Newcastle doesn't even have a castle.

No worries, The New Labour party (UK) doesn't have any Labour
politicians either.

Re: Overground politics

<0QRzN.329541$PuZ9.138769@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203099&group=alt.usage.english#203099

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 23:02:19 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 23:02 UTC

On 16-Feb-24 22:36, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 17/02/24 05:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 16-Feb-24 10:08, occam wrote:
>>>
>>> The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
>>> correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
>>> 'Suffragetts',  'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
>>> No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.
>>
>> Maybe not.  No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
>> evident need.
>
> My city of Newcastle doesn't even have a castle.

It's so new, they're still in the planning stage.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Overground politics

<uqoru6$2p8e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203102&group=alt.usage.english#203102

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 10:42:59 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 23:42 UTC

On 17/02/24 09:58, occam wrote:
> On 16/02/2024 23:36, Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> Maybe not. No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite
>>> the evident need.
>>
>> My city of Newcastle doesn't even have a castle.
>
> No worries, The New Labour party (UK) doesn't have any Labour
> politicians either.

Mark Twain once passed through this Newcastle. He commented that it was
a strange place: it had a very long street. At one end was a cemetery
with no bodies in it, and at the other was a gentlemen's club with no
gentlemen.

The gentlemen's club still exists, and it still has no gentlemen.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Overground politics

<8vicnZf0-PEvw034nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203109&group=alt.usage.english#203109

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 07:22:26 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 07:22 UTC

"Sam":
> > ...No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
> > evident need.

"John":
> It's a rule of thumb that the oldest pub in a village (remember when there
> were several pubs in villages?) is^w was called 'The New Inn'.

This also works for bridges in Paris.
--
Mark Brader | [This technology] might help solve the chronic problem...
Toronto | of getting the registered voters to actually vote!

Re: Overground politics

<scWdnSyDWLdBwk34nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203110&group=alt.usage.english#203110

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 07:27:24 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 07:27 UTC

> > I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
> > - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way of
> > naming lines,

It sounds to me as though they are commemorating past failures of the
government to be egalitarian. Suffragette Line -- discrimination by
sex. Windrush Line -- discimination by ethnic origin. At least,
that's the only context where I've heard of the Windrush.
> Their old (informal) designation was - I understand - the 'Ginger Line'.
> It could have been worse. They could have named them after politicians
> e.g. Sadiq line, Thatcher line, etc.

They should have taken an idea from Paris or New York and just used
numbers or letters. (So should the Underground, really, but most of
its lines were already known by their originating companies' names.)
--
Mark Brader | [It was] based on a rather unique interpretation
Toronto | [of the law]... (and, by unique, we mean "wrong")...

Re: Overground politics

<l3b7ptFtk50U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203111&group=alt.usage.english#203111

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 09:07:25 +0100
 by: occam - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:07 UTC

On 17/02/2024 08:27, Mark Brader wrote:
>>> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
>>> - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way of
>>> naming lines,
>
> It sounds to me as though they are commemorating past failures of the
> government to be egalitarian. Suffragette Line -- discrimination by
> sex. Windrush Line -- discimination by ethnic origin. At least,
> that's the only context where I've heard of the Windrush.

Lioness Line is also sexist. It is a reference to the UK womens'
National football team which progressed to the final - only to lose to
Spain in 2023. (This is a 'big' thing for Brits, because their last
success on a world stage was in 1966... .)

>> Their old (informal) designation was - I understand - the 'Ginger Line'.
>> It could have been worse. They could have named them after politicians
>> e.g. Sadiq line, Thatcher line, etc.
>
> They should have taken an idea from Paris or New York and just used
> numbers or letters. (So should the Underground, really, but most of
> its lines were already known by their originating companies' names.)

Re: Overground politics

<uqppkn$andu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203112&group=alt.usage.english#203112

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:09:59 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:09 UTC

Le 16/02/2024 à 16:32, Kerr-Mudd, John a écrit :

> AIUI there was an edict about 20 years ago that all BR (dunno about
> Underground) Stations had to be disabled accessible (correct phrase?) by
> 2015 or somesuch - BR had to apply for an extension. There's well OTT
> ramp at Welshpool to get over the bypass (that uses the old railway line
> in front of the old station!)
>
> https://maps.app.goo.gl/QMfycvbPb2asZYi66

Hmm. If money was no object, shame they didn't go for something more
technically interesting, such as a transporter bridge.

Re: Overground politics

<uqpq7c$andu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203113&group=alt.usage.english#203113

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:19:56 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:19 UTC

Le 17/02/2024 à 07:27, Mark Brader a écrit :
>> [...]
>>> I'm not sure I like this. Lioness Line, Suffragette Line, Windrush Line
>>> - these are politically charged names, quite different to the old way of
>>> naming lines,
>
> It sounds to me as though they are commemorating past failures of the
> government to be egalitarian. Suffragette Line -- discrimination by
> sex. Windrush Line -- discimination by ethnic origin. At least,
> that's the only context where I've heard of the Windrush.

To be fair, it may be named after Stanley Windrush, the hapless hero of
the films 'I'm All Right, Jack' and 'Private's Progress'.

After all...

'Gandalf and Tolkien Streets opened in Warsaw district nicknamed "Mordor"' -
<https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/01/11/gandalf-and-tolkien-streets-opened-in-warsaw-district-nicknamed-mordor/>

What a wizard idea!

Re: Overground politics

<l3b968FtsmqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203114&group=alt.usage.english#203114

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 09:31:04 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:31 UTC

On 2024-02-16 22:36:53 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 17/02/24 05:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 16-Feb-24 10:08, occam wrote:
>>>
>>> The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
>>> correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
>>> 'Suffragetts', 'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
>>> No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.
>>
>> Maybe not. No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
>> evident need.
>
> My city of Newcastle doesn't even have a castle.

Between Montélimar and Orange there is place called
St-Paul-Trois-Châteaux, which Bernard Levin passed through on the way
to Italy via the Alps. In 1986, well before he succumbed to Alzheimer's
disease, he wrote a book called Hannibal's Footsteps. He commented that
there aren't three châteaux in St-Paul-Trois-Châteaux, and there aren't
two châteaux in St-Paul-Trois-Châteaux. Indeed, to be strictly truthful
there isn't even a single château in St-Paul-Trois-Châteaux.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Overground politics

<uqprnr$b25s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203115&group=alt.usage.english#203115

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:45:47 +0000
 by: Hibou - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:45 UTC

Le 17/02/2024 à 08:07, occam a écrit :

>> It sounds to me as though they are commemorating past failures of the
>> government to be egalitarian. Suffragette Line -- discrimination by
>> sex. Windrush Line -- discimination by ethnic origin. At least,
>> that's the only context where I've heard of the Windrush.
>
> Lioness Line is also sexist. It is a reference to the UK womens'
> National football team which progressed to the final - only to lose to
> Spain in 2023.

Curious that lionesses should have inspired a certain mania.

> (This is a 'big' thing for

some

> Brits, because their last
> success on a world stage was in 1966... .)

(I'm not bosom pals with sport, not even women's sport.)

Re: Overground politics

<20240217085527.8a396873f1c5f3b46183f94b@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=203116&group=alt.usage.english#203116

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:55:27 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:55 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 09:36:53 +1100
Peter Moylan <peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> On 17/02/24 05:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> > On 16-Feb-24 10:08, occam wrote:
> >>
> >> The real (hidden) cost is yet to come however. When political
> >> correctness runs its course and people get tired of 'Windrush',
> >> 'Suffragetts', 'Lionesses' etc, they will change the names yet again.
> >> No one will give a sausage about Covid (and Mildmay) in 10 years' time.
> >
> > Maybe not. No-one has managed to rename the New Forest, despite the
> > evident need.
>
> My city of Newcastle doesn't even have a castle.

You do import coal to the same degree though?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

interests / alt.usage.english / Overground politics