From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: don't leave a single, solitary thing beautiful
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 20:56:14 -0800
 by: Snidely - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 04:56 UTC

Remember when arthurvv vart bragged outrageously? That was Friday:

> Franny said. “If you're a poet, you do something beautiful. I mean you're
> supposed to leave something beautiful after you get off the page and
> everything. The ones you're talking about don't leave a single, solitary
> thing beautiful.
>
> From "Franny and Zooey" by J.D> Salinger
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Franny_and_Zooey/jaSiDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=franny+and+zooey+%22thing+beautiful%22&pg=PT17&printsec=frontcover
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mvy6xaj2
>
> I find 'a single. solitary thing beautiful' strange here. It is grammatically
> correct, but doesn't seem to mean what it is supposed to mean.
>
> You create something beautiful and leave it there, therefore you
> leave a beautiful thing. The adjective should precede the noun.
>
> They left no stone unturned.
> They left everything broken.
> He left the TV unrepaired although he was supposed to repair it.
>
> In all these cases, the 'thing' was already there.
>
> If I go somewhere and make something beautiful and leave it there,
> I have left a solitary beautiful thing there.
>
> What do you think?

"single, solitary thing" is the subject noun phrase.
"beautiful" is how it is not left (predicate, methinks).

/dps

--
potstickers, Japanese gyoza, Chinese dumplings, let's do it

Re: don't leave a single, solitary thing beautiful

<d8bfsi9cusot8btbk7r904luhefsbdpqe7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202821&group=alt.usage.english#202821

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:09:44 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 17:09 UTC

On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 20:56:14 -0800, Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Remember when arthurvv vart bragged outrageously? That was Friday:
>>
>> Franny said. “If you're a poet, you do something beautiful. I mean you're
>> supposed to leave something beautiful after you get off the page and
>> everything. The ones you're talking about don't leave a single, solitary
>> thing beautiful.
>>
>> From "Franny and Zooey" by J.D> Salinger
>>
>> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Franny_and_Zooey/jaSiDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=franny+and+zooey+%22thing+beautiful%22&pg=PT17&printsec=frontcover
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/mvy6xaj2
>>
>> I find 'a single. solitary thing beautiful' strange here. It is grammatically
>> correct, but doesn't seem to mean what it is supposed to mean.
>>
>> You create something beautiful and leave it there, therefore you
>> leave a beautiful thing. The adjective should precede the noun.
>>
>> They left no stone unturned.
>> They left everything broken.
>> He left the TV unrepaired although he was supposed to repair it.
>>
>> In all these cases, the 'thing' was already there.
>>
>> If I go somewhere and make something beautiful and leave it there,
>> I have left a solitary beautiful thing there.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
>"single, solitary thing" is the subject noun phrase.
>"beautiful" is how it is not left (predicate, methinks).

I think, as predicate, the 'thing' existed earlier and
it has been made beautiful. Putting 'beautiful' before
it would imply a new creation.

This is art that gives us a new view, a new appreciation,
of what we have seen before.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: don't leave a single, solitary thing beautiful

<4688f191-593c-4045-ba89-4abee2198655n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202827&group=alt.usage.english#202827

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 11:10:57 -0800 (PST)
From: beberc...@aol.com (Bebercito)
 by: Bebercito - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 19:10 UTC

Le samedi 10 février 2024 à 05:57:21 UTC+1, Snidely a écrit :
> Remember when arthurvv vart bragged outrageously? That was Friday:
> >
> > Franny said. “If you're a poet, you do something beautiful. I mean you're
> > supposed to leave something beautiful after you get off the page and
> > everything. The ones you're talking about don't leave a single, solitary
> > thing beautiful.
> >
> > From "Franny and Zooey" by J.D> Salinger
> >
> > https://www.google.com/books/edition/Franny_and_Zooey/jaSiDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=franny+and+zooey+%22thing+beautiful%22&pg=PT17&printsec=frontcover
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/mvy6xaj2
> >
> > I find 'a single. solitary thing beautiful' strange here. It is grammatically
> > correct, but doesn't seem to mean what it is supposed to mean.
> >
> > You create something beautiful and leave it there, therefore you
> > leave a beautiful thing. The adjective should precede the noun.
> >
> > They left no stone unturned.
> > They left everything broken.
> > He left the TV unrepaired although he was supposed to repair it.
> >
> > In all these cases, the 'thing' was already there.
> >
> > If I go somewhere and make something beautiful and leave it there,
> > I have left a solitary beautiful thing there.
> >
> > What do you think?
> "single, solitary thing" is the subject noun phrase.

No, the object.
> "beautiful" is how it is not left (predicate, methinks).

The object complement, actually (only part of the predicate).

> /dps
>

> --
> potstickers, Japanese gyoza, Chinese dumplings, let's do it

Re: don't leave a single, solitary thing beautiful

<ebc60d90-2b38-4675-a681-8b95c822ceb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202840&group=alt.usage.english#202840

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:14:08 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.fr...@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 00:14 UTC

On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 9:57:21 PM UTC-7, Snidely wrote:
> Remember when arthurvv vart bragged outrageously? That was Friday:
> >
> > Franny said. “If you're a poet, you do something beautiful. I mean you're
> > supposed to leave something beautiful after you get off the page and
> > everything. The ones you're talking about don't leave a single, solitary
> > thing beautiful.
> >
> > From "Franny and Zooey" by J.D> Salinger
> >
> > https://www.google.com/books/edition/Franny_and_Zooey/jaSiDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=franny+and+zooey+%22thing+beautiful%22&pg=PT17&printsec=frontcover
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/mvy6xaj2
> >
> > I find 'a single. solitary thing beautiful' strange here. It is grammatically
> > correct, but doesn't seem to mean what it is supposed to mean.
> >
> > You create something beautiful and leave it there, therefore you
> > leave a beautiful thing. The adjective should precede the noun.
> >
> > They left no stone unturned.
> > They left everything broken.
> > He left the TV unrepaired although he was supposed to repair it.
> >
> > In all these cases, the 'thing' was already there.
> >
> > If I go somewhere and make something beautiful and leave it there,
> > I have left a solitary beautiful thing there.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> "single, solitary thing" is the subject noun phrase.
> "beautiful" is how it is not left (predicate, methinks).

For instance, you could say, "They left the town beautiful." "He found
Rome brick and left it marble." I wouldn't use "subject" or "predicate"
as you did; I'd say "leave" is a verb that can take two complements, a
direct object and a following adjective or noun that modifies it.

--
Jerry Friedman

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: don't leave a single, solitary thing beautiful