From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: system ABEND
Date: 4 Feb 2024 08:01:48 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:01 UTC

A system ABEND is an abnormal ending of a system.
However, in German, "Abend" is "evening", so for a German it
always sounds a bit like "system evening", as if this is the
sundown of the life of the system.

|the sunset of my life
Ronald Reagan (1994-11-05)

Re: system ABEND

<uqa5rb$tvec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202848&group=alt.usage.english#202848

From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: system ABEND
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 02:00:10 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 10:00 UTC

On 2/4/2024 12:01 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> A system ABEND is an abnormal ending of a system.
> However, in German, "Abend" is "evening", so for a German it
> always sounds a bit like "system evening", as if this is the
> sundown of the life of the system.
>
> |the sunset of my life
> Ronald Reagan (1994-11-05)

iirc... ABEND is an IBM term.

Not Exit --- System ABEND !!!

OS/Warp was definitely an IBM term. It wasn't just any
term, it was the name given to their revamped version of the OS/2
operating system released in 1994. The "Warp" was chosen internally to
signify performance improvements and adopted externally for its fresh image.

Interestingly, IBM was known for using Star Trek references
internally for their software development projects. While most remained
internal, "Warp" stuck and became known to the public!

While not as widely used today, OS/Warp was known for its
stability, multitasking capabilities, and ability to run both Windows
and OS/2 applications seamlessly. It even included built-in internet
support, setting a trend for future operating systems.

So, yes, "OS/Warp" was very much an IBM term, representing
a significant turning point in their operating system history.

Re: system ABEND

<uqb0tp$1292s$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202862&group=alt.usage.english#202862

From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 09:42:16 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 17:42 UTC

On 2/4/2024 12:01 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> A system ABEND is an abnormal ending of a system.
> However, in German, "Abend" is "evening", so for a German it
> always sounds a bit like "system evening", as if this is the
> sundown of the life of the system.
>
> |the sunset of my life
> Ronald Reagan (1994-11-05)

ABEND is an IBM term... So is Warp.

interests / alt.usage.english / system ABEND