Nothing succeeds like success. -- Alexandre Dumas

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

SubjectAuthor
* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changRoss Clark
`* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can chaAthel Cornish-Bowden
 +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changoccam
 |`* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changSam Plusnet
 | `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changPaul Wolff
 |  +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changAthel Cornish-Bowden
 |  |`* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changPeter Moylan
 |  | `- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can chaAthel Cornish-Bowden
 |  `- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changoccam
 `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changbil...@shaw.ca
  +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changKerr-Mudd, John
  |`* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can chaAthel Cornish-Bowden
  | +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can chaJ. J. Lodder
  | |+- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America ...Blueshirt
  | |`- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changoccam
  | `- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changSnidely
  +- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
  `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changKen Blake
   `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
    `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changoccam
     +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changPeter Moylan
     |`- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changSnidely
     `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
      `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changAthel Cornish-Bowden
       `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
        `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changPaul Wolff
         +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changRich Ulrich
         |`* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
         | `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changSam Plusnet
         |  `- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
         +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changSam Plusnet
         |`- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can chaAthel Cornish-Bowden
         `* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
          +* Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changPaul Wolff
          |`- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changJ. J. Lodder
          `- Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can changPeter Moylan

Pages:12
Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<uolbpr$lr0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202009&group=alt.usage.english#202009

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 22:16:37 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 09:16 UTC

On 22/01/2024 10:14 a.m., bozo de niro wrote:
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/american-teen-killed-in-west-bank-leaving-mosque-devastated-back-home/ar-BB1gZUlE
>
> If you liked Golda Meir, you'll like Daniella Weiss for Prime Minister of Israel!
>
> I gotta hand it to Hamas they built quite the infrastructure of undoing and self-destruction — and dafka they did it with the very money and means of the people they were supposed to be helping.
>
> If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on the altars of convenience, culture, expediency and war, so can those of ancient and modern Israel.
>
> The West Bank and Gaza shall be Israel again for lots and lots of good reasons.
>
> But mostly because G-d works in strange ways and gives man free will.
>
> But It's also specifically because Hamas and the Palestinian people were very VERY badly led and misguided in the name of self-determination when they in the name of peoplehood unwittingly and effectively sold to Israel whatever tedious, tenuous and specious claim they ever THOUGHT they had in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank in one final and spectacular negotiation that failed miserably on October 7th — in a final gesture of contempt that will go down in history perceived understandably as divinely inspired.
>
> And so it was written long ago — and G-d bless Israel's dead, murdered and fallen.

Fuck off, Bozo.
Skummy's dead.
Or maybe you're him.
Either way, we don't need you any more.

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l16t9uFeeosU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202010&group=alt.usage.english#202010

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:11:10 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:11 UTC

On 2024-01-22 09:16:37 +0000, Ross Clark said:

> On 22/01/2024 10:14 a.m., bozo de niro wrote:
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/american-teen-killed-in-west-bank-leaving-mosque-devastated-back-home/ar-BB1gZUlE
>>

>> If you liked Golda Meir, you'll like Daniella Weiss for Prime Minister
>> of Israel!
>>
>> I gotta hand it to Hamas they built quite the infrastructure of undoing
>> and self-destruction — and dafka they did it with the very money and
>> means of the people they were supposed to be helping.
>>
>> If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can
>> change on the altars of convenience, culture, expediency and war, so
>> can those of ancient and modern Israel.
>>
>> The West Bank and Gaza shall be Israel again for lots and lots of good reasons.
>>
>> But mostly because G-d works in strange ways and gives man free will.
>>
>> But It's also specifically because Hamas and the Palestinian people
>> were very VERY badly led and misguided in the name of
>> self-determination when they in the name of peoplehood unwittingly and
>> effectively sold to Israel whatever tedious, tenuous and specious claim
>> they ever THOUGHT they had in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank in one
>> final and spectacular negotiation that failed miserably on October 7th
>> — in a final gesture of contempt that will go down in history perceived
>> understandably as divinely inspired.
>>
>> And so it was written long ago — and G-d bless Israel's dead, murdered
>> and fallen.
>
> Fuck off, Bozo.
> Skummy's dead.
> Or maybe you're him.
> Either way, we don't need you any more.

Did we ever?

With any luck he's a GoogleGroper (I can't check the headers because my
filters got rid of his post), so he'll fuck off whether hewants to or
not.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l171o2Ff7h4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202017&group=alt.usage.english#202017

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:26:58 +0100
 by: occam - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:26 UTC

On 22/01/2024 11:11, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-01-22 09:16:37 +0000, Ross Clark said:
>
>> On 22/01/2024 10:14 a.m., bozo de niro wrote:
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/american-teen-killed-in-west-bank-leaving-mosque-devastated-back-home/ar-BB1gZUlE
>>>
>>> If you liked Golda Meir, you'll like Daniella Weiss for Prime
>>> Minister of Israel!
>>>
>>> I gotta hand it to Hamas they built quite the infrastructure of
>>> undoing and self-destruction — and dafka they did it with the very
>>> money and means of the people they were supposed to be helping.
>>>
>>> If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America
>>> can change on the altars of convenience, culture, expediency and war,
>>> so can those of ancient and modern Israel.
>>>
>>> The West Bank and Gaza shall be Israel again for lots and lots of
>>> good reasons.
>>>
>>> But mostly because G-d works in strange ways and gives man free will.
>>>
>>> But It's also specifically because Hamas and the Palestinian people
>>> were very VERY badly led and misguided in the name of
>>> self-determination when they in the name of peoplehood unwittingly
>>> and effectively sold to Israel whatever tedious, tenuous and specious
>>> claim they ever THOUGHT they had in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank in
>>> one final and spectacular negotiation that failed miserably on
>>> October 7th — in a final gesture of contempt that will go down in
>>> history perceived understandably as divinely inspired.
>>>
>>> And so it was written long ago — and G-d bless Israel's dead,
>>> murdered and fallen.
>>
>> Fuck off, Bozo.
>> Skummy's dead.
>> Or maybe you're him.
>> Either way, we don't need you any more.
>
> Did we ever?
>
> With any luck he's a GoogleGroper

He is.

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<OsyrN.13724$RZad.11974@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202032&group=alt.usage.english#202032

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 18:27:57 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 18:27 UTC

On 22-Jan-24 11:26, occam wrote:
> On 22/01/2024 11:11, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2024-01-22 09:16:37 +0000, Ross Clark said:

>>> Fuck off, Bozo.
>>> Skummy's dead.
>>> Or maybe you're him.
>>> Either way, we don't need you any more.
>>
>> Did we ever?
>>
>> With any luck he's a GoogleGroper
>
> He is.

Still, wouldn't have been better to cull his garbage when commenting?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<xkINbI50QtrlFASq@wolff.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202036&group=alt.usage.english#202036

From: bounc...@thiswontwork.wolff.co.uk (Paul Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:46:44 +0000
 by: Paul Wolff - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:46 UTC

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024, at 18:27:57, Sam Plusnet posted:
>On 22-Jan-24 11:26, occam wrote:

>>> Did we ever?
>>>
>>> With any luck he's a GoogleGroper
>> He is.
>
>Still, wouldn't have been better to cull his garbage when commenting?

The word 'garage' has always retained a certain Frenchiness in some
circles of English speakers, and currently 'homage' has been under
reversionary pressure too. Mow I have a fancy to do the same with
'garbage'. After all, it started its English life as an Anglo-Norman
word for downmarket food, and it's time it was sent back where it
belongs.
--
Paul W

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l19brsFs1vdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202054&group=alt.usage.english#202054

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 09:31:56 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:31 UTC

On 2024-01-22 20:46:44 +0000, Paul Wolff said:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2024, at 18:27:57, Sam Plusnet posted:

>>> He is.
>>
>> Still, wouldn't have been better to cull his garbage when commenting?
>>
> The word 'garage' has always retained a certain Frenchiness in some
> circles of English speakers,

I confess I'm among in one of those circles: /gærɑːʒ/ (equal stress).
/'gærɪd͡ʒ/ was regarded as uneducated, and /gər'ɑːʒ/ or /gər'ɑːdʒ/ as
American. (No pretence of a French r in any of them).

> and currently 'homage' has been under reversionary pressure too. Mow I
> have a fancy to do the same with 'garbage'. After all, it started its
> English life as an Anglo-Norman word for downmarket food, and it's time
> it was sent back where it belongs.

What about Farage? I gather that he wants /færɑːʒ/ but /'færɪd͡ʒ/ suits
him better.

--
athel -- biochemist, not a physicist, but detector of crackpots

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<uood4f$19f6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202058&group=alt.usage.english#202058

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 23:57:48 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:57 UTC

On 23/01/24 19:31, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2024-01-22 20:46:44 +0000, Paul Wolff said:

>> The word 'garage' has always retained a certain Frenchiness in some
>> circles of English speakers,
>
> I confess I'm among in one of those circles: /gærɑːʒ/ (equal stress).
> /'gærɪd͡ʒ/ was regarded as uneducated, and /gər'ɑːʒ/ or /gər'ɑːdʒ/
> as American. (No pretence of a French r in any of them).

In AusE the two common pronunciations are /gər'ɑːdʒ/ and /gærɑːdʒ/. The
word is considered to be fully assimilated into the AusE language, so
there is no attempt to imitate any feature of the French word.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l1a0vgF1cjnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202064&group=alt.usage.english#202064

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:32:16 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:32 UTC

On 2024-01-23 12:57:48 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 23/01/24 19:31, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> On 2024-01-22 20:46:44 +0000, Paul Wolff said:
>
>>> The word 'garage' has always retained a certain Frenchiness in some
>>> circles of English speakers,
>>
>> I confess I'm among in one of those circles: /gærɑːʒ/ (equal stress).
>> /'gærɪd͡ʒ/ was regarded as uneducated, and /gər'ɑːʒ/ or /gər'ɑːdʒ/
>> as American. (No pretence of a French r in any of them).
>
> In AusE the two common pronunciations are /gər'ɑːdʒ/ and /gærɑːdʒ/. The
> word is considered to be fully assimilated into the AusE language,

Likewise. I'm sure that when my mother (for example) said /gærɑːʒ/ it
wouldn't have occurred to her that there was anything French about it.
It was just an ordinary English word pronounced in an ordinary English
way.
> so
> there is no attempt to imitate any feature of the French word.

--
athel -- biochemist, not a physicist, but detector of crackpots

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l1a201F1i1kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202065&group=alt.usage.english#202065

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:49:37 +0100
 by: occam - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:49 UTC

On 22/01/2024 21:46, Paul Wolff wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2024, at 18:27:57, Sam Plusnet posted:

>>>  He is.
>>
>> Still, wouldn't have been better to cull his garbage when commenting?
>>
> The word 'garage' has always retained a certain Frenchiness in some
> circles of English speakers,

as has 'Farage', at his insistence.

> and currently 'homage' has been under
> reversionary pressure too. Now I have a fancy to do the same with
> 'garbage'.

> After all, it started its English life as an Anglo-Norman
> word for downmarket food, and it's time it was sent back where it belongs.

Same with Farage. He started as a low-life Anglo-Norman politician, and
it's time it was sent back...

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<4cbe0b69-99aa-4a8f-9a45-5c304031c334n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202424&group=alt.usage.english#202424

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:28:55 -0800 (PST)
From: bill...@shaw.ca (bil...@shaw.ca)
 by: bil...@shaw.ca - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 07:28 UTC

On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 2:11:17 AM UTC-8, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> > Fuck off, Bozo.
> > Skummy's dead.
> > Or maybe you're him.
> > Either way, we don't need you any more.
> Did we ever?
>
> With any luck he's a GoogleGroper (I can't check the headers because my
> filters got rid of his post), so he'll fuck off whether he wants to or
> not.

I didn't realize you hated me for using GG, Athel. For me, it was the handiest way
to post after the several other apps I used to use stopped being supported.

bill

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<20240131092739.6a9ed82cce224882285a8b3e@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202427&group=alt.usage.english#202427

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:27:39 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:27 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:28:55 -0800 (PST)
"bil...@shaw.ca" <billvan@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 2:11:17 AM UTC-8, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> > >
> > > Fuck off, Bozo.
> > > Skummy's dead.
> > > Or maybe you're him.
> > > Either way, we don't need you any more.
> > Did we ever?
> >
> > With any luck he's a GoogleGroper (I can't check the headers because my
> > filters got rid of his post), so he'll fuck off whether he wants to or
> > not.
> >
> I didn't realize you hated me for using GG, Athel. For me, it was the handiest way
> to post after the several other apps I used to use stopped being supported.

It's a good filter though.
Maybe some here (or other NG) can you can help you to keep posting here.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l1uj3rFrb0lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202430&group=alt.usage.english#202430

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:44:27 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:44 UTC

On 2024-01-31 09:27:39 +0000, Kerr-Mudd, John said:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:28:55 -0800 (PST)

>>> Did we ever?
>>>
>>> With any luck he's a GoogleGroper (I can't check the headers because my
>>> filters got rid of his post), so he'll fuck off whether he wants to or
>>> not.
>>>
>> I didn't realize you hated me for using GG, Athel.

I have never hated you. I've long realized that although a high
proportion of trolls are GoogleGropers, not all GoogleGropers are
trolls.

>> For me, it was the handiest way
>> to post after the several other apps I used to use stopped being supported.
>>
> It's a good filter though.
> Maybe some here (or other NG) can you can help you to keep posting here.

--
athel -- biochemist, not a physicist, but detector of crackpots

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<1qo6z6c.1pn2t4sxnvsjaN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202433&group=alt.usage.english#202433

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:08:07 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:08 UTC

bil...@shaw.ca <billvan@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 2:11:17?AM UTC-8, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> > >
> > > Fuck off, Bozo.
> > > Skummy's dead.
> > > Or maybe you're him.
> > > Either way, we don't need you any more.
> > Did we ever?
> >
> > With any luck he's a GoogleGroper (I can't check the headers because my
> > filters got rid of his post), so he'll fuck off whether he wants to or
> > not.
> >
> I didn't realize you hated me for using GG, Athel. For me, it was the
> handiest way to post after the several other apps I used to use stopped
> being supported.

Whatever, you will have to adapt, or disappear forever,
(but do try)

Jan

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<1qo737v.10020dptds7t1N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202436&group=alt.usage.english#202436

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:52:59 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:52 UTC

Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2024-01-31 09:27:39 +0000, Kerr-Mudd, John said:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:28:55 -0800 (PST)
> > "bil...@shaw.ca" <billvan@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 2:11:17?AM UTC-8, Athel Cornish-Bowden:

> >> I didn't realize you hated me for using GG, Athel.
>
> I have never hated you. I've long realized that although a high
> proportion of trolls are GoogleGropers, not all GoogleGropers are
> trolls.

Most Google trashers use Google because it allows them
to post with a different nym for each posting.
(to avoid kill files)

So good riddance to them,

Jan

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America ...

<xn0ohhej66wfa5h000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202443&group=alt.usage.english#202443

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America ...
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 14:38:37 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 14:38 UTC

J. J. Lodder wrote:

> Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have never hated you. I've long realized that although a high
> > proportion of trolls are GoogleGropers, not all GoogleGropers are
> > trolls.
>
> Most Google trashers use Google because it allows them
> to post with a different nym for each posting.
> (to avoid kill files)

Let's see how they get around Google's fix for this issue on the 22nd
February!!!

> So good riddance to them,

No tears here.

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<tgpkriplddlsakrc66vbqafkrgg905c98a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202445&group=alt.usage.english#202445

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 08:26:44 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:26 UTC

<billvan@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 2:11:17?AM UTC-8, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
>> >
>> > Fuck off, Bozo.
>> > Skummy's dead.
>> > Or maybe you're him.
>> > Either way, we don't need you any more.
>> Did we ever?
>>
>> With any luck he's a GoogleGroper (I can't check the headers because my
>> filters got rid of his post), so he'll fuck off whether he wants to or
>> not.
>>
>I didn't realize you hated me for using GG, Athel. For me, it was the handiest way
>to post after the several other apps I used to use stopped being supported.

What you use is of course up to you, but I'll just mention that I use
Forte Agent 6.0, which hasn't been supported in a long time. Supported
or not, it's been fine, so if you haven't tried it, you might want to.

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<1qo7voq.1fherpz1x7tj7hN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202456&group=alt.usage.english#202456

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:49:59 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:49 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:28:55 -0800 (PST), "bil...@shaw.ca"
> <billvan@shaw.ca> wrote:

> >> Did we ever?
> >>
> >> With any luck he's a GoogleGroper (I can't check the headers because my
> >> filters got rid of his post), so he'll fuck off whether he wants to or
> >> not.
> >>
> >I didn't realize you hated me for using GG, Athel. For me, it was the
> >handiest way to post after the several other apps I used to use stopped
> >being supported.
>

> What you use is of course up to you, but I'll just mention that I use
> Forte Agent 6.0, which hasn't been supported in a long time. Supported
> or not, it's been fine, so if you haven't tried it, you might want to.

All this 'being supported' is for those who are to weak
to stand by themselves. It is much overrated,

Jan

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l214maFag34U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202457&group=alt.usage.english#202457

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:56:41 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:56 UTC

On 31/01/2024 11:52, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-01-31 09:27:39 +0000, Kerr-Mudd, John said:

>> I have never hated you. I've long realized that although a high
>> proportion of trolls are GoogleGropers, not all GoogleGropers are
>> trolls.
>

> Most Google trashers use Google because it allows them
> to post with a different nym for each posting.
> (to avoid kill files)

Emm..., so does my Thunderbird. Doesn't your MacSOUP/2.8.5 allow you to
do that?

(I don't think that [nym shifting] is the real problem here.)

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l215i2FaktiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202458&group=alt.usage.english#202458

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:11:29 +0100
 by: occam - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:11 UTC

On 01/02/2024 09:49, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> What you use is of course up to you, but I'll just mention that I use
>> Forte Agent 6.0, which hasn't been supported in a long time. Supported
>> or not, it's been fine, so if you haven't tried it, you might want to.
>
> All this 'being supported' is for those who are to weak
> to stand by themselves. It is much overrated,

Oh? My laptop OS (Win 7) stopped being supported by Microsoft about a
couple of years ago. Soon after, my (MS) Edge browser stopped being
updated. My Brave browser stopped being updated. My (MS)
Word/Excel/Powerpoint do not update. My MS security updates stopped
coming. I feel like I'm sailing the Pacific on a raft that is slowly
coming apart.

Care to take on the mantle of supporting my Win 7 laptop?

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<mn.08637e825595307d.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202463&group=alt.usage.english#202463

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 01:39:12 -0800
 by: Snidely - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:39 UTC

Peter Ross explained :
> On Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 1:44:33 AM UTC-8, Athel Cornish-Bowden
> wrote:
>> On 2024-01-31 09:27:39 +0000, Kerr-Mudd, John said:

>> I have never hated you. I've long realized that although a high
>> proportion of trolls are GoogleGropers, not all GoogleGropers are
>> trolls.
>>>>
>>> It's a good filter though.
>>> Maybe some here (or other NG) can you can help you to keep posting here.
>>

>> --
>> athel -- biochemist, not a physicist, but detector of crackpots
>
> Btw it's Google Grouper not Groper.
>
> So You think I'm a groper and a fuck off, eh?

Whoosh

-d

--
"That’s where I end with this kind of conversation: Language is
crucial, and yet not the answer."

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<upfrp3$214cl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202466&group=alt.usage.english#202466

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:28:46 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:28 UTC

On 01/02/24 20:11, occam wrote:
> On 01/02/2024 09:49, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>

>>> What you use is of course up to you, but I'll just mention that I
>>> use Forte Agent 6.0, which hasn't been supported in a long time.
>>> Supported or not, it's been fine, so if you haven't tried it, you
>>> might want to.
>>
>> All this 'being supported' is for those who are to weak to stand by
>> themselves. It is much overrated,
>
> Oh? My laptop OS (Win 7) stopped being supported by Microsoft about
> a couple of years ago. Soon after, my (MS) Edge browser stopped
> being updated. My Brave browser stopped being updated. My (MS)
> Word/Excel/Powerpoint do not update. My MS security updates stopped
> coming. I feel like I'm sailing the Pacific on a raft that is slowly
> coming apart.
>
> Care to take on the mantle of supporting my Win 7 laptop?

We have been trained to believe that software must be frequently
updated. Why? If a program is working, what's the point of revising it?

Of course MS software is a special case, because MS believes in revising
its operating system in ways that ensure that "too old" applications
will stop working. With at least some other operating systems, if an
applications program worked twenty years ago then it will still work now.

Some years ago I was asked if someone could take over my mail server now
that I've abandoned it. Who said that I had abandoned it? I hadn't
released a new version for a year because I hadn't had any bug reports
or feature requests in that year. In fact I had, and still have, a
strong belief in not including bugs in software that I release. The
person who made that request was used to the idea that non-abandoned
software had to have frequent bug-fix releases.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<mn.08b67e825c5f49d3.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202468&group=alt.usage.english#202468

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 03:02:18 -0800
 by: Snidely - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 11:02 UTC

With a quizzical look, Peter Moylan observed:
> On 01/02/24 20:11, occam wrote:
>> On 01/02/2024 09:49, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>>

>> <snip>

>>> All this 'being supported' is for those who are to weak to stand by
>>> themselves. It is much overrated,
>>
>> Oh? My laptop OS (Win 7) stopped being supported by Microsoft about
>> a couple of years ago. Soon after, my (MS) Edge browser stopped
>> being updated. My Brave browser stopped being updated. My (MS)
>> Word/Excel/Powerpoint do not update. My MS security updates stopped
>> coming. I feel like I'm sailing the Pacific on a raft that is slowly
>> coming apart.
>>
>> Care to take on the mantle of supporting my Win 7 laptop?
>
> We have been trained to believe that software must be frequently
> updated. Why? If a program is working, what's the point of revising it?
>
> Of course MS software is a special case, because MS believes in revising
> its operating system in ways that ensure that "too old" applications
> will stop working.

That's not accurate. What they do is they remove an API call that is a
vulnerability, usually because the original didn't do bounds checking.
That sometimes is the case for a widely used API call, but the
replacement call is available well before the old call is removed.

The vast majority of API calls remain, though.

BTW, I follow two open source software projects where backwards
compatibility is strongly enforced, and any breaks of backwards
compaitibility have to debated before they can proceed. But such
changes do happen, often because of security issues, generally related
to the http family of protocols or SSL protocols, which have changes
because of ... security issues.

MS will occasionally replace an API call, or even a library of API
calls, that limit performance of the system on modern hardware. Look
back over CDROM/DVD handling, for instance. Some of these changes are
visible to the application, some aren't. [I've seen some of the
changes in the disk subsystem that are below the application level, and
most are even below the driver level.]

> With at least some other operating systems, if an
> applications program worked twenty years ago then it will still work now.

Even on Linux, that's not guaranteed.

> Some years ago I was asked if someone could take over my mail server now
> that I've abandoned it. Who said that I had abandoned it? I hadn't
> released a new version for a year because I hadn't had any bug reports
> or feature requests in that year. In fact I had, and still have, a
> strong belief in not including bugs in software that I release. The
> person who made that request was used to the idea that non-abandoned
> software had to have frequent bug-fix releases.

It's always nice to not include bugs in the software. I managed it in
a FORTRAN program to play NIM.

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<1qoay9m.p5kra5wece09N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202502&group=alt.usage.english#202502

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 14:44:07 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 13:44 UTC

occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:

> On 01/02/2024 09:49, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> >

> <snip>
>

> >> What you use is of course up to you, but I'll just mention that I use
> >> Forte Agent 6.0, which hasn't been supported in a long time. Supported
> >> or not, it's been fine, so if you haven't tried it, you might want to.
> >
> > All this 'being supported' is for those who are to weak
> > to stand by themselves. It is much overrated,
> >

> Oh? My laptop OS (Win 7) stopped being supported by Microsoft about a
> couple of years ago. Soon after, my (MS) Edge browser stopped being
> updated. My Brave browser stopped being updated. My (MS)
> Word/Excel/Powerpoint do not update. My MS security updates stopped
> coming. I feel like I'm sailing the Pacific on a raft that is slowly
> coming apart.
>
> Care to take on the mantle of supporting my Win 7 laptop?

Those who opt for the Evil Empire deserve what they get,

Jan
(on a 2010 Mac)

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<l24q2vF1g7rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202507&group=alt.usage.english#202507

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:20:15 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:20 UTC

On 2024-02-02 13:44:07 +0000, J. J. Lodder said:

> occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/2024 09:49, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>>>

>> <snip>

>>> All this 'being supported' is for those who are to weak
>>> to stand by themselves. It is much overrated,
>>>

>> Oh? My laptop OS (Win 7) stopped being supported by Microsoft about a
>> couple of years ago. Soon after, my (MS) Edge browser stopped being
>> updated. My Brave browser stopped being updated. My (MS)
>> Word/Excel/Powerpoint do not update. My MS security updates stopped
>> coming. I feel like I'm sailing the Pacific on a raft that is slowly
>> coming apart.
>>
>> Care to take on the mantle of supporting my Win 7 laptop?
>
> Those who opt for the Evil Empire deserve what they get,
>
> Jan
> (on a 2010 Mac)

I thought you might say that! But it's true that Mac users have far
fewer problems with planned obsolescence than Windows users do.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: If the maps and borders of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America can change on a dime on the altars of convenience, culture, and expediency so can those of ancient and modern Israel!

<1qobkk9.s8zi6s6zkshcN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=202512&group=alt.usage.english#202512

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 21:36:31 +0100
References: <f7518a0b-c78a-489f-9a94-bd3fe7b00ffan@googlegroups.com> <uolbpr$lr0t$1@dont-email.me> <l16t9uFeeosU1@mid.individual.net> <4cbe0b69-99aa-4a8f-9a45-5c304031c334n@googlegroups.com> <tgpkriplddlsakrc66vbqafkrgg905c98a@4ax.com> <1qo7voq.1fherpz1x7tj7hN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> <l215i2FaktiU1@mid.individual.net> <1qoay9m.p5kra5wece09N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> <l24q2vF1g7rU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: J. J. Lodder - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:36 UTC

Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2024-02-02 13:44:07 +0000, J. J. Lodder said:
>
> > occam <occam@nowhere.nix> wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> Oh? My laptop OS (Win 7) stopped being supported by Microsoft about a
> >> couple of years ago. Soon after, my (MS) Edge browser stopped being
> >> updated. My Brave browser stopped being updated. My (MS)
> >> Word/Excel/Powerpoint do not update. My MS security updates stopped
> >> coming. I feel like I'm sailing the Pacific on a raft that is slowly
> >> coming apart.
> >>
> >> Care to take on the mantle of supporting my Win 7 laptop?
> >
> > Those who opt for the Evil Empire deserve what they get,
> >
> > Jan
> > (on a 2010 Mac)
>
> I thought you might say that! But it's true that Mac users have far
> fewer problems with planned obsolescence than Windows users do.

It is not for lack of Apple trying to force obsolescence.
Just refuse to go along,
(and that is quite possible, practically)

Jan