From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My
God! (oh, My god!), etc?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:38:41 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:38 UTC

On 27/12/2023 18:41, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My God! (oh, My god!), etc?
>
> While "Mon Dieu!" is the literal translation of "Oh my God!" in French, it's actually less common in everyday speech than its English counterpart. Here's why:
>
> Frequency:
>
> -- Americans: "Oh my God!" and its variants are quite frequent in American English, used for various degrees of surprise, frustration, excitement, and so on. It can be seen as a common interjection woven into daily conversation.
>
> -- French: "Mon Dieu!" is not as ubiquitous in French conversation. You might hear it more in older generations or specific contexts like dramatic situations. In casual conversation, other expressions like "Ah!," "Oh là là," "Putain!" (vulgar), or context-specific phrases are more common for expressing surprise, annoyance, or other emotions.
>

> Cultural Differences:
>
> -- Secularism: France is a secular nation, and invoking God in everyday speech might sound a bit archaic or formal. While references to religion exist, they tend to be less casual compared to some parts of the United States.
>
> -- Variety of Expressions: French has a richer and more nuanced array of interjections and exclamations than English. Depending on the specific emotion and context, French speakers have a wider range of choices beyond "Mon Dieu!" to express themselves.
>
> So, while "Mon Dieu!" exists in French, it's not used as frequently as "Oh my God!" in English. Other factors like cultural context and emphasis on variety in expressions play a role in this difference.
>

> Here are some additional points to consider:
>
> -- Younger generations in France might use "OMG" as a written abbreviation online, similar to English usage.
>
> -- The frequency of religious references in everyday speech can vary within different French-speaking regions and countries.
>
> -- Ultimately, language use is dynamic and evolves over time, influencing how expressions like "Mon Dieu!" and "Oh my God!" are used in the future.
>
> I hope this clarifies the usage of "Mon Dieu!" in French compared to "Oh my God!" in English. Feel free to ask further questions if you have any!

Peter Griffin "OMA"

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT SLEEP THROUGH MY EDUCATION

Re: Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My God! (oh, My god!), etc?

<umk9ft$ek87$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=200680&group=alt.usage.english#200680

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
God! (oh, My god!), etc?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:58:34 +0000
 by: Hibou - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:58 UTC

Le 28/12/2023 à 11:38, Chris Elvidge a écrit :
> On 27/12/2023 18:41, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Do the French say  [Mon Dieu!]  as often as Americans say Omg, My
>> God!  (oh, My god!),  etc?
>>
>> While "Mon Dieu!" is the literal translation of "Oh my God!" in
>> French, it's actually less common in everyday speech than its English
>> counterpart. Here's why:
>>
>> Frequency:
>>
>> -- Americans: "Oh my God!" and its variants are quite frequent in
>> American English, used for various degrees of surprise, frustration,
>> excitement, and so on. It can be seen as a common interjection woven
>> into daily conversation.
>>
>> -- French: "Mon Dieu!" is not as ubiquitous in French conversation.
>> You might hear it more in older generations or specific contexts like
>> dramatic situations. In casual conversation, other expressions like
>> "Ah!," "Oh là là," "Putain!" (vulgar), or context-specific phrases are
>> more common for expressing surprise, annoyance, or other emotions.
>>

>> Cultural Differences:
>>
>> -- Secularism: France is a secular nation, and invoking God in
>> everyday speech might sound a bit archaic or formal. While references
>> to religion exist, they tend to be less casual compared to some parts
>> of the United States.
>>
>> -- Variety of Expressions: French has a richer and more nuanced array
>> of interjections and exclamations than English. Depending on the
>> specific emotion and context, French speakers have a wider range of
>> choices beyond "Mon Dieu!" to express themselves.
>>
>> So, while "Mon Dieu!" exists in French, it's not used as frequently as
>> "Oh my God!" in English. Other factors like cultural context and
>> emphasis on variety in expressions play a role in this difference.
>>

>> Here are some additional points to consider:
>>
>> -- Younger generations in France might use "OMG" as a written
>> abbreviation online, similar to English usage.
>>
>> -- The frequency of religious references in everyday speech can vary
>> within different French-speaking regions and countries.
>>
>> -- Ultimately, language use is dynamic and evolves over time,
>> influencing how expressions like "Mon Dieu!" and "Oh my God!" are used
>> in the future.
>>
>> I hope this clarifies the usage of "Mon Dieu!" in French compared to
>> "Oh my God!" in English. Feel free to ask further questions if you
>> have any!
>
> Peter Griffin "OMA"

Bof !

Re: Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My God! (oh, My god!), etc?

<umlvdt$p257$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=200692&group=alt.usage.english#200692

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
God! (oh, My god!), etc?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:19:09 +0000
 by: Hibou - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:19 UTC

> On 27/12/2023 18:41, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Frequency:
>>
>> -- Americans: "Oh my God!" and its variants are quite frequent in
>> American English, used for various degrees of surprise, frustration,
>> excitement, and so on. It can be seen as a common interjection woven
>> into daily conversation.
>>
>> -- French: "Mon Dieu!" is not as ubiquitous in French conversation.
>> You might hear it more in older generations or specific contexts like
>> dramatic situations. In casual conversation, other expressions like
>> "Ah!," "Oh là là," "Putain!" (vulgar), or context-specific phrases are
>> more common for expressing surprise, annoyance, or other emotions.
>>

>> Cultural Differences:
>>
>> -- Secularism: France is a secular nation, and invoking God in
>> everyday speech might sound a bit archaic or formal. While references
>> to religion exist, they tend to be less casual compared to some parts
>> of the United States.
>>
>> -- Variety of Expressions: French has a richer and more nuanced array
>> of interjections and exclamations than English. Depending on the
>> specific emotion and context, French speakers have a wider range of
>> choices beyond "Mon Dieu!" to express themselves. [...]

So the French ejaculate more often than the Americans?

Re: Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My God! (oh, My god!), etc?

<ummcck$qnst$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=200695&group=alt.usage.english#200695

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
God! (oh, My god!), etc?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 23:00:18 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:00 UTC

On 28/12/23 22:38, someone in my killfile wrote:

>> -- Younger generations in France might use "OMG" as a written
>> abbreviation online, similar to English usage.

I've taken to using the variant "OYG".

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My God! (oh, My god!), etc?

<kv869qFdir0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=200707&group=alt.usage.english#200707

From: me...@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My God! (oh, My god!), etc?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:18:18 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 15:18 UTC

On 2023-12-29 12:00:18 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 28/12/23 22:38, someone in my killfile

That's the right place for Hen Hanna.

> wrote:
>
>>> -- Younger generations in France might use "OMG" as a written
>>> abbreviation online, similar to English usage.
>
> I've taken to using the variant "OYG".

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Do the French say [Mon Dieu!] as often as Americans say Omg, My God! (oh, My god!), etc?